Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MSA fund
Apparently my w/comp. carrier or attorney has determined to set me up with a structured MSA instead of a lump sum MSA.

Do I or shouldn't I get a choice in the matter?

If I pass away during the payment period ( my estimated lifespan)  will my estate get the balance of undeposited funds?

Now I know my attorney is planning on taking his fees from the total settlement amount including those that could turn out to be unpaid. How can he be entitled to  collect his percentage of funds that are TBD?

Can anyone tell me what my options on this are?

of course you have a choice; they need your signature on the settlement.
beneficiary wording should be part of the terms of the settlement; don't assume it or leave it to interpretation.
generally fees are determined by what benefits were negotiated not what is necessarily by what is paid or received.
atty fees are up to the rules of your state's comp court. I don't know your state.

options for what?
you can change attys at any time. some attys are more willing to listen to their clients then others; depends on how it'll affect their workload and fee.
options also depend on what your state's comp laws are.
every state is different; without knowing yours no one can tell what options you have.

you can find out more about MSAs from the CMS reference guide:
https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coordinatio...rview.html
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(02-11-2016, 12:33 AM)1171 Wrote: of course you have a choice; they need your signature on the settlement.
beneficiary wording should be part of the terms of  the settlement; don't assume it or leave it to interpretation.
generally fees are determined by what benefits were negotiated not what is necessarily by what is paid or received.
atty fees are up to the rules of your state's comp court. I don't know your state.

options for what?
you can change attys at any time. some attys are more willing to  listen to their clients then others; depends on how it'll affect their workload and fee.
options also depend on what your state's comp laws are.
every state is different; without knowing yours no one can tell what options you have.

you can find out more about MSAs from the CMS reference guide:
https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coordinatio...rview.html

Thanks for your response.

I'm in California. Sorry about that. This is my first post.

Your response is what I'd have thought.
I e-mailed my attorney but he hasn't gotten back to me. At least not yet.
We do have a status conference for next month.

If a lump sum is my choice can Carrier deny and essentially stall  this settlement?

Also can a judge, possibly at the status meeting, make or force any ruling?

Thank you in advance. 1171

I can't speak for CA, but I would think MSA rules would be basically the same nation wide. Here in PA, the attorney's can not take a fee from the MSA amount. We can negotiate a fee on top of the MSA or take a fee from the lump sum separate from the MSA, but not from the MSA itself.

As to how any residual is treated, I agree with 1171 that this term needs to be negotiated. Read the documents carefully. I have seen several agreements where the residual is assigned to the WC carrier or where the annuity simply stops upon the death of the claimant.
Timothy D. Belt
DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania. The answer given is based only on the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.

Yes, at any time either party can decide the proposed lump sum is not in their best interest.
Lump sum buyout is not guaranteed. If the parties don,t agree on the terms, it doesn,t happen.
Benefits continue until there is an agreement or the court decides the future benefits.
The fee issue on MSA funds is unsettled in California.
There also is no guarantee that the worker will only use the structured amounts for necessary medical treatment.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(02-11-2016, 11:39 AM)Timothy Belt Wrote: I can't speak for CA, but I would think MSA rules would be basically the same nation wide.  Here in PA, the attorney's can not take a fee from the MSA amount.  We can negotiate a fee on top of the MSA or take a fee from the lump sum separate from the MSA, but not from the MSA itself.

As to how any residual is treated, I agree with 1171 that this term needs to be negotiated.  Read the documents carefully.  I have seen several agreements where the residual is assigned to the WC carrier or where the annuity simply stops upon the death of the claimant.

Tim,
If the client gets a self-administered MSA and later uses those funds for other purposes, isn't the atty cut out of what otherwise would have been their usual amount for non-MSA settlements ?
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(02-11-2016, 03:08 PM)1171 Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 11:39 AM)Timothy Belt Wrote: I can't speak for CA, but I would think MSA rules would be basically the same nation wide.  Here in PA, the attorney's can not take a fee from the MSA amount.  We can negotiate a fee on top of the MSA or take a fee from the lump sum separate from the MSA, but not from the MSA itself.

As to how any residual is treated, I agree with 1171 that this term needs to be negotiated.  Read the documents carefully.  I have seen several agreements where the residual is assigned to the WC carrier or where the annuity simply stops upon the death of the claimant.

Tim,
If the client gets a self-administered MSA and later uses those funds for other purposes, isn't the atty cut out of what otherwise would have been their usual amount for non-MSA settlements ?
They would be, but the general logic is that the approved amount is what is required to fund the MSA, so any reduction for attorney's fees would result in the MSA not being fully funded.  If the client decides to buy a new car rather than the projected treatment, they will still have to document exhaustion of the full MSA before Medicare will pay related bills.  In other words, the injured worker will have to make up the short fall out-of-pocket so even if the original money is not properly spent the claimant will eventually have to document equivalent sums so it is still inappropriate for the attorney to take a portion of that amount.
Timothy D. Belt
DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania. The answer given is based only on the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.

(02-12-2016, 11:46 AM)Timothy Belt Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 03:08 PM)1171 Wrote:

Tim,
They would be, but the general logic is that the approved amount is what is required to fund the MSA, so any reduction for attorney's fees would result in the MSA not being fully funded.  If the client decides to buy a new car rather than the projected treatment, they will still have to document exhaustion of the full MSA before Medicare will pay related bills.  In other words, the injured worker will have to make up the short fall out-of-pocket so even if the original money is not properly spent the claimant will eventually have to document equivalent sums so it is still inappropriate for the attorney to take a portion of that amount.
Thank you. Makes sense as long as the client eventually has to dip into their own funds for treatment or when it's a medical only settlement.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Some applicant attorney's are getting fees off of the MSA while others have stated they cannot in CA. I am curious if there is a rule on this for California?
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

To my knowledge this fee issue is unsettled in California; especially since MSA are optional/at the workers own risk.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  aggregate trust fund blake 24 30,486 11-21-2016, 08:48 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Receiving sec 32 from NYS Insurance Fund Jeffsande01 2 3,095 10-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Jeffsande01
Sad Second Injury fund judge's ruling samepage 3 2,465 11-11-2015, 04:14 PM
  multi injury trust fund in oklahoma jhokern 2 8,473 03-16-2011, 12:59 AM
  Has anyone dealt with Alpha Fund Insurance Carrier soconfused 1 6,560 11-20-2010, 12:55 PM
  Injury Fund queenbee 1 3,375 10-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Last Post: kate
  I won my wc case in Missouri but lost the second injury fund won1stlost2nd 4 8,644 08-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Social Security Emengency Fund? evolution03 7 8,226 07-19-2010, 10:34 PM
  IC refuses to fund MSA freebird 13 14,214 04-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  SUBSEQUENT INJURY FUND greenjob 1 2,801 11-01-2009, 01:29 PM