Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workers Comp settlement tips
I've seeing a few threads with questions about a workers compensation settlements. So, I will add my two cents. Please be warn that this is only for the state of California. If you had an injury in another state this is not for you.
If you have a workers Compensation case and it's at it's last stages. It's important to know the three types of settlements available to you and how they will affect you.

1.The first type of settlement is called a Compromise & Release. The first thing you need to know is that if you settle your worker’s Compensation case for a lump sum, your bi-weekly benefits will go away. This type of settlement is called a "Compromise and Release or  a C&R.  Settling your case by C&R means bringing an end to that part of the case and end to free medical treatment.  You are basically ending all aspects of your workers compensation case.  

2.The other type of settlement is called a Stipulation. This type of Settlement allows you to keep the medical portion of your injury open and gives you the right to re-open your case  with in 5 years of the date of the injury. The down side to this is that you don't get a sum-payment but you get bi-weekly payments until the insurance pays out the total permanent disability owed to you. 

3.The last type of settlement is called a Findings & Award or F&A. This settlement is basically a stipulation. The only differences is that this is award it by the judge. T

Keep in mind that not all settlements are a good thing and only you based on your circumstance, both physically and economically can make that decision. For instance, you will not want to settle via C&R if there is a good chance that you will need to be going to the doctor for your injury in the future.

Lastly, also have to remember that value of your case is determine by how much permanent disability your doctor wrote in his report and not by how much pain and suffering the injury caused you. Tongue
There's nothing more important than our good [url=http://www.rolandlaw.com]health[/url] - that's our principal capital asset. Big Grin

Thank you Rolandlaw. This is going to be very helpful for California injured workers.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Achilles Repair. Workers comp question... Go Cowboys! 3 326 09-26-2019, 08:59 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Question Workers Comp settlement in NJ eclark16 9 786 09-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Last Post: eclark16
  Workers Comp Disputing Medical Bills gamora77 1 715 03-15-2019, 11:22 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Kentucky Worker Comp Settlement Question josh1985 36 8,087 03-12-2019, 12:34 PM
  Built a map of workers comp. John_Richardson 1 1,286 02-28-2019, 08:48 AM
Last Post: TerryLewis
Shy Work related/induced stress & workers comp heartworkerNC 7 5,192 02-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Last Post: TerryLewis
  Typical Workers Comp Settlement for Stress? California queenbvirgin 2 1,254 02-04-2019, 08:47 PM
  ust now Can I quit my job and do freelance work during workers comp? caworkerscompqs 1 854 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
  Workers Comp Violation? Floydmay22 2 1,342 11-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Sad Workers comp settlement amount help Jayal27 4 2,339 09-07-2018, 04:06 PM