Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WA/OR Chiropractor wants me to pay
Hey guys. I am brand new to this forum.
I live in Washington but was involved in a Workers Comp claim in July 2014 with my (at the time) Oregon Employer. This was a on the job car accident that happened in Oregon. I had my treatment done in Washington.
I went to the chiropractor and doctor. I was at the chiropractor for about 8 months. The chiropractor did not let my claims adjuster know about the treatment they were doing on me until 9 months after the accident. 
The workers comp case was closed about 6 months after the accident because there was no activity on the case. Now, a year and a half after the accident, the chiropractor is wanting me to pay the bill because the Worker's comp won't pay for it. Their stance is that they would have never approved more than a month of chiropractic treatment.

So, my question to you all is, am I liable for the bill the chiropractor is trying to make me pay? I had no idea that they were not in talked with workers comp. That's their responsibility, isn't it?

no, you're not liable.
when treating for work comp injury only liability is to the carrier/employer.
chiro's recourse is to appeal to the comp board for fee dispute; they do not get to bill the employee.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(01-20-2016, 06:19 PM)1171 Wrote: no, you're not liable.
when treating for work comp injury only liability is to the carrier/employer.
chiro's recourse is to appeal to the comp board for fee dispute; they do not get to bill the employee.

Thanks for your response. 
I actually just got a call from them saying that since I signed a waiver that said 'if my insurance refuses to pay, I am held liable'. With this said, does your previous statement still stand? Do you happen to have any resources that back this up? I have a feeling I am going to have to fight them pretty hard on this.

Yes it stands.
Cannot waive comp,s legal liability. Their recourse is to appeal comp denial - can never go after employee.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

The answer depends, if this chiropractor was authorized by your insurer then you do not pay and even if he wasn't I would assume you made him aware this was a work comp claim and he agreed to treat you in which case he has an obligation to abide by their rules as well as requested treatments. In your post you stated there was no activity past 6 months which is why the insurer closed your claim yet your chiropractor treated you a further 2 months, it makes me wonder if your chiropractor was even sending treatment requests or reports to the insurer. But if this chiropractor was not authorized to treat you and you failed to tell him this was a work comp claim then you may be liable to repay him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chiropractor SB863 chrischris 8 7,063 11-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Last Post: chrischris
  Finnaly got referal to a chiropractor. bronco54501 7 3,793 03-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Last Post: capricorn
  Chiropractor VRS PT and WC bronco54501 15 7,154 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  chiropractor has bin dropped willieg 1 2,687 07-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy