Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Employer Slanders employee
can an employer previously sued by an employee, constantly slander you to perspective employers, and social media about your past compensation lawsuit with him?

each state has different rules about confidentiality.
but yes, it happens a lot.
people can and do lie or spread negative information/gossip about others all the time.
whether it rises to the level of "slander" or not is up to a court.

if the employer is exposing personal medical data/information, they could be violating HIPAA.
generally, once you litigate, the legal records are in the public domain.
unless they are sealed by the court, you don't have the right to keep the legal information secret.
both you and the employer are subject to the same rights to privacy or publicity.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(01-10-2016, 06:31 PM)Dad1 Wrote: can an employer previously sued by an employee, constantly slander you to perspective employers, and social media about your past compensation lawsuit with him?

I agree with 1171 every state has different laws. I recommend contacting a labor law attorney to discuss this.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

May I ask what the 'slander' was? Like was it negative performance or character or something or was it more that they mentioned the lawsuit? I thought the only thing an employer could say to ANY party, was either yes or no to the question does so-and-so work for you, and confirm dates of employment.

I do know lawsuits are a matter of public record, but if a prospective hiring company is unaware and didn't look for it, I wouldn't think a former or current employer could divulge that info - again speaking to my belief of what is allowed in CA.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  who's responsible: employer or employee wendygirl 4 2,633 06-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Last Post: wendygirl
  Employee hurt by other employee DLM1212 4 4,365 02-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  employee v employee lawsuit? Missouri frankm867 8 6,327 10-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Last Post: 1171