Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
repaired hernia question
Hi there. So earlier this year I had a groin hernia repaired by surgery with mesh. After the recovery process it healed up nicely and I haven't had any issues with it. I work as a medic so we do quite a bit of lifting. Recently during one shift I had a increase I'm pain around the site of the repaired hernia.  I did a incident report and am set to see their doctor but I was told by my supervisor that since it's a pretty existing condition that may work against me. My question is since it was repaired and I had no issues with if for months no pain or stiffness is this going to work against me?

it depends on your states comp rules but generally a prior injury does not negate a re-injury.
an aggravation of a pre-existing condition is considered a new injury.
many states will not allow impairment benefits on a re-injury but usually medical and wage loss benefits will be paid.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(12-12-2015, 01:33 AM)nickhp Wrote: Hi there. So earlier this year I had a groin hernia repaired by surgery with mesh. After the recovery process it healed up nicely and I haven't had any issues with it. I work as a medic so we do quite a bit of lifting. Recently during one shift I had a increase I'm pain around the site of the repaired hernia.  I did a incident report and am set to see their doctor but I was told by my supervisor that since it's a pretty existing condition that may work against me. My question is since it was repaired and I had no issues with if for months no pain or stiffness is this going to work against me?

I agree with what 1171 wrote, and knowing your state would be helpful because workers compensation laws are different in every state.

Make sure you go to the doctor ASAP since it has not been very long since your surgery. I am sure you are aware of possible complications of hernia mesh which can include migration, infection etc.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(12-12-2015, 01:33 AM)nickhp Wrote: Hi there. So earlier this year I had a groin hernia repaired by surgery with mesh. After the recovery process it healed up nicely and I haven't had any issues with it. I work as a medic so we do quite a bit of lifting. Recently during one shift I had a increase I'm pain around the site of the repaired hernia.  I did a incident report and am set to see their doctor but I was told by my supervisor that since it's a pretty existing condition that may work against me. My question is since it was repaired and I had no issues with if for months no pain or stiffness is this going to work against me?

It shouldn't if it was a comp issue to begin with. That's how mine was I felt good at first and then another surgery and another and another. Be careful I have been opened up 5 times and now I have severe nerve damage. With more pain than the original surgery.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rolleyes Louisiana Hernia at work questions william32 8 2,129 07-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Hernia Surgery carl5138 11 39,479 06-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Construction Workers' Comp Hernia BentSpace 3 11,572 05-14-2013, 09:50 PM
  No Insurance, hernia, working, Illinois brodg 3 8,707 04-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Sad Dislocated knee cap and ingunal hernia its_rob 5 7,998 09-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Last Post: chrischris
  pre-existing hernia thomas* 8 16,391 05-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy