Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CRPS I & II & Spinal cord stimulator
Okay, 1 thing freaking me out about new Dr. He really really likes spinal cord stimulators. I don't want one. Has ANYONE at all ever seen one work in a person with CRPS I &II? That is my big issue, I understand they work sometimes well for people who just have back or leg pain, but I cannot find one case study where they help a patient with RSD. I see it as allowing an invasive procedure for something with a very infinitesimal chance of working. The odds are greater that I will have yet another spread.

God Bless and have a wonderful day.
The good news is,"You can get used to anything."
The bad news is,"You can get used to anything."
:-)
Sithie

(11-16-2015, 11:13 AM)Sithie Wrote: Okay, 1 thing freaking me out about new Dr. He really really likes spinal cord stimulators. I don't want one. Has ANYONE at all ever seen one work in a person with CRPS I &II? That is my big issue, I understand they work sometimes well for people who just have back or leg pain, but I cannot find one case study where they help a patient with RSD. I see it as allowing an invasive procedure for something with a very infinitesimal chance of working. The odds are greater that I will have yet another spread.

Hello, I typed this in on youtube (CRPS I &II with RSD) You will see some hopeful videos to answer some of your questions. Good Luck! 

God Bless and have a wonderful day.

Hello, I typed this in on youtube (CRPS I &II with RSD) You will see some hopeful videos to answer some of your questions. Good Luck!

Sithie:
find out if your doctor is on the "take":
"Pharmaceutical and medical device companies are now required by law to release details of their payments to a variety of doctors and U.S. teaching hospitals for promotional talks, research and consulting, among other categories.
Surveys conducted in 2004 and again in 2009 showed that more than three-quarters of doctors had at least one type of financial relationship with a drug or medical device company. "

Medtronic and other stimulator providers pay BIG $$$ to doctors all over the country for "consulting" fees, meals etc.

drug and device makers gave $243 Million in less then 18 months to Texas doctors
https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

here is a link to the medicare database thats more current
https://www.cms.gov/OpenPayments/index.html
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Help? I am in the same boat as Sithie. WC case is in Tennessee.
" I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, I know right now, you can't tell"

(12-15-2015, 09:48 PM)Gypsy Lady Wrote: Help? I am in the same boat as Sithie. WC case is in Tennessee.

Do you mean you have RS and your doctor wants to place a spinal cord stim in you? I only know of one injured worker on this site who has RSD and who also has a spinal cord stim. His username is dolphines (you an look for his posts). I do not know if this should not be placed in a person who has RSD... but I would recommend looking into it before you have it done. I would also ask the doctor what is the name and product code of the implant he wants to use on you. You can then look on the FDA website to see if #1 it is FDA approved and #2 how many adverse events have been reported from the device. For every adverse event  that is reported 100 more go unreported (on average).

1171 provided other good info to find out if your doctor has financial ties to this device but many are not being reported.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Late to the party but SCS is a primary treatment of CRPS I. Do a Google Scholar search if you can't do a Cochrane Review search:
CRPS patients implanted with SCS reported pain relief of at least 50% over a median follow-up period of 33 months. (Taylor, 2006) SCS appears to be an effective therapy in the management of patients with CRPS. (Kemler, 2004) (Kemler, 2000) Recently published 5-year data from this study showed that change in pain intensity was not significantly different between the SCS plus PT group and the PT alone group, but in the subgroup analysis of implanted SCS patients, the change in pain intensity between the two groups approached statistical significance in favor of SCS, and 95% of patients with an implant would repeat the treatment for the same result. A thorough understanding of these results including the merits of intention-to-treat and as-treated forms of analysis as they relate to this therapy (where trial stimulation may result in a large drop-out rate) should be undertaken prior to definitive conclusions being made. (Kemler, 2008) Permanent pain relief in CRPS-I can be attained under long-term SCS therapy combined with physical therapy. (Harke, 2005) As batteries for both rechargeable and nonrechargeable systems are nearing end of life, there are both early replacement indicators and end of service notifications. Typcal life may be 8-9 years for rechargable batteries, but this depends on the unit. In addition, the physician programmer can be used to interrogate the implanted device and determine the estimated remaining battery life.

and this.....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21992424

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the risks of spinal cord stimulators California_Help 0 90 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Spinal cord stimulators come with risks California_Help 2 338 04-01-2019, 07:38 AM
Last Post: tbear6410
  Spinal Cord Stimulator peanut222 12 14,365 01-27-2019, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Tony890
  CRPS Case Closed krodrio 3 672 01-18-2019, 03:39 PM
Last Post: 1171
  have CRPS/RSD harperbass 3 892 01-14-2019, 03:35 AM
Last Post: tinainky
  CRPS left foot/ankle Sarcher 9 1,307 12-20-2018, 10:22 PM
  CRPS - PTD or PPD? CRPS_Dad 3 694 12-11-2018, 11:50 AM
  Spinal Cord Stimulator Cervical_Fusion 21 20,266 09-19-2018, 11:10 AM
  Need 2nd settlement opinion on my CA. 73% MMI CRPS case Steveowie 4 4,029 11-09-2017, 07:21 PM
  MMI with a Spinal Cord Stimulator jennco1 13 21,070 06-26-2017, 01:12 PM