Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just want to know I am not alone
Hi,
  I guess I should start with my back was injured at work in California. I had a 360, yay me. I had an ALIF, PLIF, discectomy and laminectomies on two levels, a foraminectomy on one and screws and plates to make metal detectors fun. I had this all done in one surgery. From what I understand it is not common to have all at once. My surgeon is not one attached to my wc insurance company thankfully. Smile I have had one AME and will have another next year. Is there anyone out there that has gone through the same and has some insight? I've fought in court for everything and have won each time. The wc insurance company has played so many games with my health and injury that I wonder if I am ever going to be even half of the person I was. Surgery was 6 months ago and I still hurt 24/7. There are days I can barely get out of bed and I have to force myself to walk each day. The career I had for over 20 years is now over. I will never be able to do the same type of work again. I apologize for sounding sorry for myself. It is just hard that this is my everyday.

sounds like it might have been better to space the procedures out and allow some recovery time in between.
what type of work injury could cause all that damage all at once?
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(10-14-2015, 03:18 AM)Fused360 Wrote: Hi,
  I guess I should start with my back was injured at work in California. I had a 360, yay me. I had an ALIF, PLIF, discectomy and laminectomies on two levels, a foraminectomy on one and screws and plates to make metal detectors fun. I had this all done in one surgery. From what I understand it is not common to have all at once. My surgeon is not one attached to my wc insurance company thankfully. Smile I have had one AME and will have another next year. Is there anyone out there that has gone through the same and has some insight? I've fought in court for everything and have won each time. The wc insurance company has played so many games with my health and injury that I wonder if I am ever going to be even half of the person I was. Surgery was 6 months ago and I still hurt 24/7. There are days I can barely get out of bed and I have to force myself to walk each day. The career I had for over 20 years is now over. I will never be able to do the same type of work again. I apologize for sounding sorry for myself. It is just hard that this is my everyday.

Hi fused,

You are not alone with a fusion, but this type of fusion is more rare. From what I know about this surgery it is a very big surgery and many surgeons are against it (unless under certain circumstances). This is also an older way to do a fusion (except under certain circumstances) and many are doing them either front or back. Some surgeon's do this in one day while others spread the front and back surgery under two surgeries. This type of surgery is big money for the surgeon and some unethical work comp surgeons in CA are doing this type of fusion on as many patients as they can. Can I asked who referred you to your doctor or did you find him on your own?

Once you are fused, which may be already (unknown) your surgeon will prescribe physical therapy. If you cannot tolerate the land base therapy I would recommend aqua therapy. As you are familiar with our great workers compensation system getting the proper amount of PT is difficult. If you want to improve I recommend to do as much on your own at home when you are able and under the supervision of your surgeon or physical therapist. You should be walking as much as you can right now, everyday. There should be exercises you can do in your bed right now, and I recommend discussing with your doctor if you are ready for this and what those exercises are.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(10-14-2015, 11:46 AM)1171 Wrote: sounds like it might have been better to space the procedures out and allow some recovery time in between.
what type of work injury could cause all that damage all at once?

I was a field service tech, a lot of lifting, bending and driving. I could not image three surgeries since recovery is so painful.

I have not had the same condition or surgeries.
when you reach maximum medical improvement and unless you buyout your future benefits you will be entitled to an award for some fixed duration Permanent Disability benefits and open medical coverage for the injury.
the disability is limited and generally not enough to live on. there will likely be a re-training voucher available once your rating is established
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/sjdb/SJDB_FAQ.html

if you haven't done so already, apply for SSDI asap.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(10-14-2015, 04:44 PM)California_Help Wrote:

Hi fused,

You are not alone with a fusion, but this type of fusion is more rare. From what I know about this surgery it is a very big surgery and many surgeons are against it (unless under certain circumstances). This is also an older way to do a fusion (except under certain circumstances) and many are doing them either front or back. Some surgeon's do this in one day while others spread the front and back surgery under two surgeries. This type of surgery is big money for the surgeon and some unethical work comp surgeons in CA are doing this type of fusion on as many patients as they can. Can I asked who referred you to your doctor or did you find him on your own?

Once you are fused, which may be already (unknown) your surgeon will prescribe physical therapy. If you cannot tolerate the land base therapy I would recommend aqua therapy. As you are familiar with our great workers compensation system getting the proper amount of PT is difficult. If you want to improve I recommend to do as much on your own at home when you are able and under the supervision of your surgeon or physical therapist. You should be walking as much as you can right now, everyday. There should be exercises you can do in your bed right now, and I recommend discussing with your doctor if you are ready for this and what those exercises are.

Hi Help,
  My surgeon was referred to me by my AME. He is a great surgeon with a fantastic reputation. From what I understand I was lucky because I did not have to go to the insurance companies surgeon or hospital. I had the surgery last spring and will be finally starting PT soon. I walk as much as I can but its difficult as I suffer from foot drop. There have been no exercises I have been allowed to do yet. I am still restricted to no bend, lift or twist. I am also not allowed to handle anything more than 10lbs. I had muscle relaxers added to what I already take everyday. Between pain pills, nerve pain meds, muscle relaxers twice a day and anti depressants I have no real life. The constant pain is never fully gone and it takes everything out of me. I just want to get better but I have been told that pain will always be a part of my life.
  How do you deal, get by everyday and have some quality of life?

(10-21-2015, 03:23 PM)Fused360 Wrote:
(10-14-2015, 04:44 PM)California_Help Wrote:

Hi fused,

Hi Help,
  My surgeon was referred to me by my AME. He is a great surgeon with a fantastic reputation. From what I understand I was lucky because I did not have to go to the insurance companies surgeon or hospital. I had the surgery last spring and will be finally starting PT soon. I walk as much as I can but its difficult as I suffer from foot drop. There have been no exercises I have been allowed to do yet. I am still restricted to no bend, lift or twist. I am also not allowed to handle anything more than 10lbs. I had muscle relaxers added to what I already take everyday. Between pain pills, nerve pain meds, muscle relaxers twice a day and anti depressants I have no real life. The constant pain is never fully gone and it takes everything out of me. I just want to get better but I have been told that pain will always be a part of my life.
  How do you deal, get by everyday and have some quality of life?

It sounds like you are not healed yet. It can take up to a year or so. I think it is too soon to tell right now your outcome because you are not healed and have not done any physical therapy. Try to do things that you can do and do not isolate yourself from friends and family is my best advice.

As soon as they start PT and give you home exercise make sure you do the home exercise and make it part of your life. This will help when you are ready. Walking on a flat surface like a dirt track may be helpful to you. Being out in the sun and raising your heartrate with walking will help with depression.

If your doctor anticipates you being out of work for 12 months I recommend applying for SSDI. This does not mean you will be on it forever.

I do not know what you mean by not having to go to the insurance company's surgeon. Most insurance companies have a MPN (medical provider network). These doctors do not work directly for the insurance company, but are in their network. It sounds like you may have gone to surgeon outside of the MPN.

I want to add you are not alone. You are still very early in recovery.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.