Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disability rating and appeal
i guess you've lived with it so long you can't see your situation from others point of view.

I suggest you try to find some support groups for your situation; those have have learned to live in society with severe handicaps and restrictions.
they can help maintain a positive attitude in the face of serious physical or mental obstacles.
they focus on what they can do; not what they can't. contact your county social services who often maintain a list of such groups in the area.
if you suffer from depression or depression-like symptoms contact your physician for a referral for professional help.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I have very little problem with being objective about my situation and outside viewpoints but I do get frustrated with people who do not understand the dynamics of cumulative trauma.

The doctor does, and that's why it stated in my permanent and stationary restrictions "no typing or computer use" and "no extended static positions of the neck". When it comes to arthritis and degenerated discs, doing more of the action that caused this problem will only make my condition worse. I even have fellow musicians who keeps suggesting to me to record and arrange my music on the computer, but they, like you, do not fully understand this concept. I do, I live with it.

During my care in the workers comp system I had sessions with a pain management counselor. He was a psychologist that felt (along with all the people around me) that in trying to go back to work for a year, seeking career counseling with the DOR, and spending the past couple years trying to find career options, that I more than displayed a positive attitude in very difficult times.

The bottom line is that the best thing for me is to somehow find a career path that does not involve pushing buttons and operating computers, it's not that hard to understand.

I appreciate your previous advice and suggestions 1171, but as you can see I find your last statement slightly insulting.

I am going to send you a private message of the career counseling class I took on-line. It is a very easy one credit class (if you are interested).

I think you have the will but feel currently stuck because you do not have appropriate tools possibly to move forward. I understand you have been advised against psychology and that it is not realistic to go long term to get a higher level degree, I think you may have exhausted the resources available and you cannot work at this time due to your medical condition and skills. You need to obtain new skills. I also read your comment you may be near retirement age after finishing a degree, but many people are retiring later in life and some work until they are 80-90.

If you apply for SSDI now it does not mean you will have to be on it forever. You can try to get your other skills up by taking classes and then after see if you can enter the job market on the SSDI ticker to work program which allows you to try to work for a number of months, and if you cannot do it you will still get SSDI. Again joining a college under disabled student services can give you many accommodations like double time on rests, provide note takers, special equipment etc.

You sound motivated and why I continue to respond. Have you tried to take one on-line class with the help of accommodations? The class I am sending you in a private message would be a great start as it is easy.I wouldn't knock it until you try it and if your condition becomes unbearable you can stop. You will have some discomfort but it should not be a situation where it makes your injury worse.

If your employer will not allow you to return you are eligible for college vouchers.

You do not have to take my advice, I am just trying to help.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

I'll keep it in mind, I have 2 meetings this month with the DOR and a seminar devoted to career choice, so I'll deal with that and court stuff for now. I also was aware of that return to work aspect of SSDI, fact is I went to SSDI before W/C started sending me temp disability checks, at the beginning of this mess. I was very fresh on finding a different career at that point so I put it on the back burner and dealt with W/C & DOR. Again, after the 14th I should have a little more knowledge to proceed on that front.

Online classes I'm not sure I want to stab at, spending this much time doing this is more than I should be doing, even if it only takes a few minutes, but I do appreciate input on the subject.

The only thing I think you've got wrong is "not have the appropriate tools...", to me that's not where I'm stuck, it's more of a target/goal issue. If I found that, I probably could find a way.

I just recommend not knocking something until you try it.

I have taken on-line classes and it is actually very little time actually on the computer. I had double time on tests so I could take breaks, you may have even more time when provided with accommodation. On-line classes you basically read and study on your own and submit assignments on-line and converse with the teacher on-line, sometimes. It is not a virtual class, it is more like home study where you do not have to sit in a class. Most colleges offer this now. You can try an easy class to see how you do. You may like it. I know students who did it using voice activated devices to help type. There us no easy answer. I sent you a private message of an easy one credit course on career counseling you can do with an on-line class. Sometimes it is good to actually go to class and converse with others, if you are physically able.I mentioned on-line because many have difficulties sitting long periods, but you would have accommodations if needed. You may be able to get these classes and books reimbursed by the vouchers that are owed to you.

When I wrote tools I meant things to help accommodate your injuries so you can successfully accomplish returning to college. I had to type and I still type laying on my bed just slightly propped upright with a lap top on my lap. This is how I am typing to you now. Sitting upright in a chair is painful for me...so we all have our issues. If you saw me in person you would think nothing is wrong. I understand not being able to use your hands would be a major obstacle, but I know some who have done it.

Again, there is a time limit when you can apply for SSDI or you lose it. I think it is 5 years past last day worked (not sure). It can take a few years to get approved and why I am recommending it in case your medical condition prevents you from finding any employment. This does not mean you will be on it forever. I have seen too many wait and then get themselves in a bad financial situation or go beyond statue of limitations as no one told them.

I know you are in a difficult situation, and 1171 and I are just trying to provide ideas to help. If you take away anything from my suggestions, I hope you try one class next semester, with accommodations and see if you are able to tolerate it. If not go back to the disabled student counselor and ask for more assistance. They are there to do whatever it takes to help you to succeed.If the college you went to was not very helpful I would try another, or even the one I sent you in the pm.I wish you well whatever you do.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(10-09-2015, 01:00 PM)California_Help Wrote: I just recommend not knocking something until you try it.

I have taken on-line classes and it is actually very little time actually on the computer. I had double time on tests so I could take breaks, you may have even more time when provided with accommodation. On-line classes you basically read and study on your own and submit assignments on-line and converse with the teacher on-line, sometimes. It is not a virtual class, it is more like home study where you do not have to sit in a class. Most colleges offer this now. You can try an easy class to see how you do. You may like it. I know students who did it using voice activated devices to help type. There us no easy answer. I sent you a private message of an easy one credit course on career counseling you can do with an on-line class. Sometimes it is good to actually go to class and converse with others, if you are physically able.I mentioned on-line because many have difficulties sitting long periods, but you would have accommodations if needed. You may be able to get these classes and books reimbursed by the vouchers that are owed to you.

When I wrote tools I meant things to help accommodate your injuries so you can successfully accomplish returning to college. I had to type and I still type laying on my bed just slightly propped upright with a lap top on my lap. This is how I am typing to you now. Sitting upright in a chair is painful for me...so we all have our issues. If you saw me in person you would think nothing is wrong. I understand not being able to use your hands would be a major obstacle, but I know some who have done it.

Again, there is a time limit when you can apply for SSDI or you lose it. I think it is 5 years past last day worked (not sure). It can take a few years to get approved and why I am recommending it in case your medical condition prevents you from finding any employment. This does not mean you will be on it forever. I have seen too many wait and then get themselves in a bad financial situation or go beyond statue of limitations as no one told them.

I know you are in a difficult situation, and 1171 and I are just trying to provide ideas to help. If you take away anything from my suggestions, I hope you try one class next semester, with accommodations and see if you are able to tolerate it. If not go back to the disabled student counselor and ask for more assistance. They are there to do whatever it takes to help you to succeed.If the college you went to was not very helpful I would try another, or even the one I sent you in the pm.I wish you well whatever you do.

I don't find anywhere to look for PMs, I looked at my profile and could not see anything to click for messages.

Please understand I am not against getting some training but I do not plan on doing anything that will direct me back to office or clerical work or the computer. There is no getting around this, no matter what accommodations are made, repetitive hand functions are only going to make things worse. If I have to sell used cars, teach guitar lessons, or go on disability, so be it.

I appreciate all the suggestions (really I do) but I trust the signals my body gives me over anyones advice.

Found your message, that course looks interesting because of the "career/Life" counseling title, will keep it in mind.

Tomorrow I will be making an appt with an SSDI benefits counselor to get immersed into the details of permanent disability. In the meantime I will continue trying to scrape up career ideas with the DOR.

Thanks again for your input.

(10-14-2015, 08:06 PM)Torn Wrote: Found your message, that course looks interesting because of the "career/Life" counseling title, will keep it in mind.

Tomorrow I will be making an appt with an SSDI benefits counselor to get immersed into the details of permanent disability. In the meantime I will continue trying to scrape up career ideas with the DOR.

Thanks again for your input.

I hope for the best for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Appeal redsoxfan 4 671 12-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Last Post: tinainky
  P&S with restrictions but no disability rating. What? 1 Hurt nurse 97 34,141 07-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Permanent disability rating and settlement jennifernd 14 66,174 12-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Disability Rating question -lumbar spine 57% RootsGal 14 6,728 12-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Last Post: RootsGal
  When will I be given a disability rating? Kaii23 1 1,739 09-02-2017, 10:37 AM
  Disability Rating newhaventennis 1 3,179 11-14-2015, 09:16 PM
  my doctor doesnt want to give me my disability rating backontrack 4 7,241 08-19-2015, 02:01 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Help translating permanent partial disability rating into $settlement mashkey 1 7,163 07-30-2015, 02:00 AM
  If your disability rating is raised????? Scaffoldrider 2 3,366 03-04-2015, 01:44 AM
Last Post: Scaffoldrider
  Backpay after Full Commission Appeal VA Bussy 2 3,977 11-10-2013, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Bussy