Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atty Question
This is my first work comp issue.  I had to hire an attorney to help dispute my case.  Question is I realize it takes a long time for WC cases, but how often should an attorney keep you up to date on items?  I had my MMI a few months ago and then a DME a month and half ago and have heard nothing from the results.  The court case keeps getting pushed back per the defense.  I am just curious as it seems like I always have to call my attorney to find out what's going on.  Didn't know if I should be concerned or not?

not all clients have the same expectations.
some have attys so they are not bothered by the details; others want to micromanage their claim and the atty.

your expectations and what kind of legal service your atty was to provide should have been discussed at the time of hire.
most clients ask few questions -if any- and sign up with little or no discussion. many spend more time buying a car then hiring an atty.

in most states atty fees for a work comp case are very low as there is much less maneuvering required in the very regulated comp laws. low fees generally mean an atty has to have many more clients and much less time for each.

generally attys will not initiate contact with the client until it's necessary e.g. signing papers or making a court appearance. comp attys are not there to educate workers on how the system works or explain the litigation process.

you probably need to discuss with your atty what and how much service you feel you need.

your state bar probably has a "rules of atty conduct" or rules of ethical behavior available on it's website.
you may wish to review them to get a better idea of what to expect from your legal representation.

you can change attys at any time and there will be a single fee shared.

some attys offer email contact with them or their office
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

If you go through this web site and others like it, you will find that this is the norm with attorney's. I can't tell you how many times I have read that someone's attorney will not return phone call's ect....

You should get used to it, like right now.

The best way I have heard to talk with your att. is to set an appointment to go in to the office.

You may be able to develop a relationship with his/her legal aid, and he/she may be able to answer your questions, as far as updates, without having to bother the att.

And from my experience with att/legal assistance, is that the assistance know more than the att.

(07-30-2015, 06:53 AM)October Wrote: This is my first work comp issue.  I had to hire an attorney to help dispute my case.  Question is I realize it takes a long time for WC cases, but how often should an attorney keep you up to date on items?  I had my MMI a few months ago and then a DME a month and half ago and have heard nothing from the results.  The court case keeps getting pushed back per the defense.  I am just curious as it seems like I always have to call my attorney to find out what's going on.  Didn't know if I should be concerned or not?

In my opinion your expectations may not be realistic. As 1171 wrote workers compensation attorney's are paid by a small percentage of your PD award. Due to this many take on a lot of clients and have limited time. If you hired a civil attorney you would be paying him hourly, and for sure would have better "service". I have never heard of any applicant attorney who calls their clients to update them regularly on their case.

Reports take time to be written and it is possible the DQME report has not been sent to your attorney yet.

Your attorney should call you back when you have a question. I have learned to keep my questions limited to important issues and do not bother my attorney with updating me on everything that occurs with my claim. I do not think it is good to micromanage an attorney.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

I had a good lawyer but still I didn't hear from him very often. However his staff called every 2 weeks or so just to see if something had happened on my end and to let me know if anything had changed on their end. Call and talk to your lawyers secretary tell her your concerns she may call you more often most lawyers only call if they need something for you.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Negotiating a Settlement without an Atty in CA Midnight 8 8,573 02-06-2019, 01:56 PM
Last Post: 1171
  1171-Utilization Review Denial/Atty not actively representing Babebahn 11 7,133 04-27-2016, 12:12 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  perm total disability awarded/atty fees lisawilson7991 4 5,980 07-29-2014, 10:17 PM
  Aaaaargh! My atty was no help monster1963 0 1,870 02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Last Post: monster1963
  Defense atty called me asking what to do with the claim... soconfused 3 5,100 12-04-2010, 01:16 PM
  If I drop my atty do I continue to see the doctors that he set me up with? alagada1 3 4,674 11-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Last Post: AQA
  atty. client contract breech leomale6964 1 3,403 10-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Problems with atty...... Jaycojade 4 4,309 07-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Last Post: mistreated
  Anyone hire an atty. for a Soc.Sec. hearing? lfoster21 12 7,914 02-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Last Post: lfoster21
  atty hopefully CJknee 3 2,447 02-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Last Post: CJknee