Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WC Claim # ???? Invalid????
I'm new to the forum... NEW YORK STATE
Looking for some help : Injured Monday 5/18/15

~ Two simple questions "for now", (I've got a bunch)
1.) Called to get/find out my WC Claim #, (because I've yet to receive a letter in the mail) and I was given 1234567891011-123 ???
Why does this seem wrong, 11 numbers?
I thought a claim number was only 8 numbers long preceding the ( - )? I tried to type my # in on http://www.wcb.ny.gov/ and it wont let me even type all 11 numbers, I also typed the 8 numbers before the dash and it says invalid.

also...

2.) I have such a minor minor injury compared to some other folks on here. I was told I'll be out of work for a minimum of 8-12 weeks. My question is... Should I obtain a lawyer for precautionary and if so how can one help me?

Thank - You in advance.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body"

the WCB has a different numbering system from an Insurance carrier.
an employer may even have their own. it depends on who you called as to which entities number you were given.

attys may help with a settlement or taking a dispute to court for a decision. generally when you become represented and a litigation file is opened the carrier/employer will not be able to discuss your claim with you.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Thanks 1171 for a the quick reply!

I did contact the IC, so that may be the issue on hand. Thank You.

In regards to the lawyer, I contacted one for "free consultation" and seems as though he wanted to be hired more less then helping me. I never agreed to retaining a lawyer, but now I received a Notice of Retainer and Appearance letter and "We're pleased to represent you...." letter in the mail.
Now at this point... I don't know if I accidentally/unknowingly retained counsel. Should I have signed anything before I actually have even hired an attorney?

yes. lawyers generally have already decided that settling quickly for the most they can get is "helping" whether the client thinks so or not.
they are not in the business of explaining the system or answering too many questions.
not necessarily. once they have your information they are eager to stake their claim to a fee with the court.
you can advise them in writing that you decided not to pursue legal action if you want to drop them.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Thanks again 1171;
I apologize, but I'm not sure if you replied "yes", as in...
- I retained the Lawyer (unknowingly)
or
- "yes" I should have signed something first/before retaining a Lawyer.

All in all I'm going to personally go to the law office and advise them my feelings. Since I've not had any return calls.

Thanks again for the quick replies and help.

*this forum is a WC claimants savior!

I did as I said I was going to do. I went right to the Law Office of the attorney. I'm glad I did.

I was able to ask many questions, as I sat down w/ the lawyers paralegal (assistant) and I received many answers. I was educated briefly on the NYS Comp. process and I was able to fill out all the proper paperwork to be sure there is no hiccups in the claim/benefits/awards area.

I felt very comfortable leaving the office as I was able to speak w/ someone. The office personnel made me feel as though they really care about what's best for myself and health. The paralegal really was patient w/ me and even towards the end... the lawyer who will be representing me took a moment to introduce himself and shook my hand with introduction.

What I learned is and what I'd educate others is, "be pro-active to the best of your ability". It will only help you in the long run.
Thanks Again - 1171

glad to help.
be well.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will I jeopardize my workers compensation claim if I file a personal injury claim for wanttowork 3 18,251 03-27-2011, 02:07 AM
Last Post: 1171