Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do i have the right to be informed about my own medical condition???
I was involved in a vehicle accident at work'my claim was accepted by my employer workers compensation carrier with no problems as far as i know.In the emergency room'i was told that i had a fractured c6'so after 3 months in a neck brace and 1 month of physical therapy so far.My attorney sent me to another doctor for a second opinion on my condition'there i recieved a copy of my medical records from the emergrncy room and i was shocked that my workers compensation insurance company nor did their doctor tell me that i had more injuries that i didnt know about.I had suffered a previous puncture to my right lung'bulging disks'compression fractures to my neck and upper back'osteoarthristis in my back'neck and knee along with a fractured sternum.So my question is do i have the right to be informed about my own health even though workers comp is responsible for the bills??? I was in shock to find out that i was worse off than i thought'i only found out about these other issues 4 months later....

depends on your state law as to how much information and how it's disclosed and who is responsible for giving you the information.
I suspect the hospital has a separate patient rights policy.
you should review those rights and complain to the hospital administrator or to your state government agency if they have been violated.
you should read thru any material provided by the doctor and/or treatment facilities as it may have been disclosed in writing.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

It was nothing on my discharge paperwork about the other injuries'just the c6 fracture.The doctor hired but workers comp never mentioned it to me either'hey did tell me about the sternum fracture but I was in the dark about the rest.When I called the nurse case manager to ask her about it'she had the paperwork right in front of her'she knew my whole situation but bothered to mention it to me and we've spoken on several occasions.Thanks for your response..

you may be able to file a complaint with HIPAA as it also covers patients right to information
more here
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/...001947.htm

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Wow I am shocked. The emergency room doctor should have told you about your medical condition.

Please know that nurse case managers are hired to limit the costs of your claim. They work for the insurance carrier and are not there as your advocate. They are the insurance companies advocate.

Have you hired a work comp attorney? With what you wrote is going on it may be a good idea to have some protection for yourself. I suggest consulting with a few. It is free for a consult.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about pre-existing condition retrieves2 4 1,730 09-09-2018, 09:01 PM
Last Post: retrieves2
  c-84 adding a condition in oho samtheyam 10 9,051 05-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Broken fib/tib with pre-existing condition seestock 3 3,281 02-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Change in physical condition form help KT4411 3 7,141 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Last Post: KT4411
  Does anyone do research on their condition? Cookiecrum 11 9,338 10-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bagpussinamerica
  Work starus change question and pre-existing condition linagirl 2 3,765 05-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  post employment medical history report and pre exsisting condition lucy1959 13 16,713 11-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Last Post: kate
  Pre-existing condition claim by WC wt1949 14 16,753 05-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  dislocated shoulder due to unsafe condition yellowcard5142 4 4,875 12-21-2007, 11:39 AM
  Pre-existing condition or not? katicabogar 2 3,477 12-13-2007, 03:04 PM