Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CRPS Settlement
I have had CRPS for 2 1/2 years and my condition is spreading from my right foot/leg to my left foot and to my back. I have been fighting to have CRPS put on my claim as an allowable condition even though I have been seen and diagnosed with CRPS/RSD from three Washington State L&I IME doctors plus the other five doctors I have seen from referrals from my attending physician. The Labor and Industries doctor is meeting with my attending in a few weeks so hopefully that will settle things although I am skeptical. Anyone have any advise for me. I am so frustrated with this whole thing!
Also has anyone received a settlement for CRPS and what is the usual settlement amount for CRPS/RSD. I am getting so far behind in everything and I would also like to finish my education as I was in nursing school when I was injured and will soon lose the credits I worked so hard for. My doctors states I will no longer be able to work as a nurse but I am hoping I can use my credits for some other type of work/schooling, if I can go back to work at all.
Please help Sad

there is no fixed amount for every possible diagnosis. you need a rating based on your level of disability.
more information on Permanent Partial Disability benefits under the state of washington's comp system is here
http://www.lni.wa.gov/ClaimsIns/Claims/B...efault.asp
there is also information on training programs here
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(03-02-2015, 09:54 PM)1171 Wrote: there is no fixed amount for every possible diagnosis. you need a rating based on your level of disability.
more information on Permanent Partial Disability benefits under the state of washington's comp system is here
there is also information on training programs here
Thank you for the links. I have been to both but it did not offer a lot of helps since CRPS is a condition that can afflict numerous areas of the body and can also spread with time. I also have received conflicting information regarding settlement amounts since CRPS is a permanent condition and can be considered a 100% disability since it can affect whole body function.
Thanks againSmile

There are treatments to try and stop it from spreading. I know a woman who had to see several pain management doctors until she found one who did the blocks that worked for her. They help her pain and help to prevent it from spreading.

I know a nurse who is severely disabled and works from home.

I wish you the best.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(03-02-2015, 11:59 PM)California_Help Wrote: There are treatments to try and stop it from spreading. I know a woman who had to see several pain management doctors until she found one who did the blocks that worked for her. They help her pain and help to prevent it from spreading.

I know a nurse who is severely disabled and works from home.

I wish you the best.

Thank you California_Help, I have been researching as much as possible. I also, after two and a half years, have been lucky enough to find a very knowledgeable Pain Management doctor at one of Seattle's larger hospitals who is getting me on the right path, we are just hoping we have caught it in time and we can still manage to get it into remission.
Take care

there is calculation that allow ratings for different body parts to be combined for a single rating.
I think you misunderstand the use of the rating. the percentage does not refer to how much of the body is affected by the injury.
the rating refers to how much of the normal body functioning is lost; with 100% meaning total loss of normal functions and the person unable to work in any capacity at any job-total disability.
an injury/condition can affect the whole body-like a heart condition- but only be 20% disabling.
you are not going to be able to estimate the disability value of your claim until you have a rating.

you may get some more specific information from L&I
http://www.lni.wa.gov/ClaimsIns/Claims/S...efault.asp
but until your treatment enters a "maintenance" phase dollar values will likely be too unpredictable.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

The way it was done for me was, they take ALL your medical bills from the last three years, add them up, divide by 3, that gives you your yearly average. You then look at the average life span for males. I think it's 86. So however old you are, you times your yearly average cost of treatment by how many years you are projected to live. That gives you the value of your case.

Don't forget, ALL settlements monies are converted to today's dollars, and I'm not sure I said that right, you should wait to hear from 1171 on the dollar conversion.

They did a MSA a couple years ago on me, I also have rsd, and it came back at $868,000. And I'm 51.

My doctor say's I should be asking between 1 to 2 million. They will NEVER go for that. Even though they are begging me to settle, I refuse.

Doctors cannot control the spread of rsd. They can do blocks, but they're only temporary, if it's going to spread, it's going to spread, I was scheduled for surgery yesterday, to move the wires up higher to capture the rsd that has spread to upper back, and ptp assist. didn't sent approval for new wires, so they cancelled it, and moved it to next week. I was mad as hell. I've posted more info on my post, you can go there and read it, and if you have any question's, just ask.

(03-06-2015, 02:10 PM)dolphins Wrote: The way it was done for me was, they take ALL your medical bills from the last three years, add them up, divide by 3, that gives you your yearly average. You then look at the average life span for males. I think it's 86. So however old you are, you times your yearly average cost of treatment by how many years you are projected to live. That gives you the value of your case.

Don't forget, ALL settlements monies are converted to today's dollars, and I'm not sure I said that right, you should wait to hear from 1171 on the dollar conversion.

They did a MSA a couple years ago on me, I also have rsd, and it came back at $868,000. And I'm 51.

My doctor say's I should be asking between 1 to 2 million. They will NEVER go for that. Even though they are begging me to settle, I refuse.

Doctors cannot control the spread of rsd. They can do blocks, but they're only temporary, if it's going to spread, it's going to spread, I was scheduled for surgery yesterday, to move the wires up higher to capture the rsd that has spread to upper back, and ptp assist. didn't sent approval for new wires, so they cancelled it, and moved it to next week. I was mad as hell. I've posted more info on my post, you can go there and read it, and if you have any question's, just ask.
Hi Dolphin, I totally forgot I posted on this forum but thank you for your reply. Not to sound ignorant but how do I locate the post you were speaking of, there are several on this site that were listed under your name and I am not sure which one you were speaking of? Also What is an MSA? What is 1171? I will try and read all of your posts and will contact you with any questions, thank you for the offer and take care

has the insurance company accepted your rsd/crps? If so, you need to see about having a spinal cord stimulator installed. You can try the temporary one to see if it works.

As far as how much your case is worth, it goes by your rating. That's how it is in California.

An msa, is a medical set aside.

This is an issue I am currently going through, and am still trying to learn myself. The most interesting thing I found out is we can "self administer" the money ourselves, and this is something I plan on doing, but have to figure out the non-medical money. It involves so much. As for the medical money i.e. set aside, will be done by either an attorney, or I am trying to see if it can be sent directly to ssi/medical/Medicare and see if they can do it. Like I said, I am still trying to learn. Maybe we can figure this out, with the help of the kind people on this site.

I will try and find the posts, and let you know.

1171 is a poster on here. He/she is very smart, and knows far more than I, but I, like you, have rsd/crps, and that is something only we know about.

O.K. If you go to my post under psych, and go to page 14 you can read about the msa.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CRPS Case Closed krodrio 3 1,519 01-18-2019, 03:39 PM
Last Post: 1171
  have CRPS/RSD harperbass 3 1,567 01-14-2019, 03:35 AM
Last Post: tinainky
  CRPS left foot/ankle Sarcher 9 2,983 12-20-2018, 10:22 PM
  CRPS - PTD or PPD? CRPS_Dad 3 1,340 12-11-2018, 11:50 AM
  Need 2nd settlement opinion on my CA. 73% MMI CRPS case Steveowie 4 6,194 11-09-2017, 07:21 PM
  RSD CRPS MMI Gypsy2wheels316 2 4,436 11-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Sad Has anyone with CRPS/RSD have blisters show up out of no where? Sunshine7 18 29,493 10-10-2016, 02:51 PM
  RSD/CRPS from work injury DMP1983 2 5,490 06-16-2016, 12:11 AM
  Injury and CRPS / RSD 7skittles7 4 4,475 01-24-2016, 02:00 PM
  CRPS I & II & Spinal cord stimulator Sithie 7 7,199 12-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Cycler