Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Replacing SCS
Had my consult and the doctor says he'll put the request in for the permanent SCS... it went in Wednesday.. now the Ins. Carrier has 30 days to approve or not... if approved, then it could take from a month to 8 weeks to have it scheduled at the hospital...

Good luck.

Do you know if they're putting in the one that is MRI compatible?

He doesn't know.. that's left up to Medtronic's....

This comment is not just for spinal cord stimulators but also for any patient who is considering an operation in which an implantable device is going in them, hip implant , spinal fusion etc. You and your doctor should review and research what implant is being placed in your body. It should not be determined by a sales rep. They are not doctors, and are salespeople who have been trained in their products. You would be shocked at what goes on in the implantable business. It is big money and it can be dirty. The Medtronic sales rep is not there to necessarily advocate for your best medical interests like a doctor. They are salespersons for Medtronic. Your doctor should be picking the best product for you.

I recommend to ask what product they are considering placing in your body and what is the name and product code. I would then do a search of the FDA website to see if the product is FDA approved and if it has had a lot of complications and how long has it been in the marketplace. Any complications of this product should be on the FDA website. I would then do a google search on the product. When having surgeries that have other things such as bone graft materials it is good to ask about those products as well. What is the product name and do your research before you allow someone to implant something in your body. This is so very important. People research cars before they buy them,but not the medical devices that are being implanted in their bodies. 

Another thing that I would ask your doctor is if he has any financial connection with the implant that he has picked. POD's (physician owned distributors) are spreading across the country and a large percentage of surgeons implant hardware they distribute or have a financial interest in. They are supposed to disclose this to patients, but many are not doing it or it can be hidden in the paperwork that you sign at the hospital.

This is a newscast video that discusses POD's (physician owned distributors).

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/surgeon-sale...-patients/

If anyone needs help researching an implantable product on the FDA website I can help with that.

I hope I do not offend anyone with my comments. I just want you to be informed.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

I agree with California_Help. It is up to you as to which one you want installed.

The Medtronic's rep and/or the ST. Jude reps, work for their respected companies, they have no say what so ever on what you feel is better for you. It is you that has to live with it, not them.

As you know, I have been waiting for the mri one, and have put off surgery till it's available. Well it's available now, but the hospitals in my area don't know enough about them to allow my doctor to have it put in at there hospital.

My doctor told me this last week, and the ST Jude rep called me Thursday to say the same thing, and both of them are recommending that I move forward with the non compatible mri stimulator, and both asked me if I was willing to this this, and if so, they would schedule the surgery for next month. I told them both, I wasn't sure, to let me think about it, and I will get back to them next week. But make no mistake. It IS up to me, and no one else.

Same with you, or any other person who needs an implant.

I've also been offered a morphine pump implant, or the spinal cord stimulator, I went with the stimulator. Still my choose, just like you..

Emailed John with Medtronic's about the new SCS... he is going to see if the surgeon will use it...

Also, the doctor told me that with the permanent one, he will go through the spine at the top... between the shoulder blades and then the extra wire will go down the outer spine to the battery.. This is being done in the hospital JUST IN CASE there is a problem and they have to open my spine area up more..

He says the MRI looked good and going down instead of up will work better.. specially since when I had the trial put in, the other doctor had trouble getting the wires where they should go....

double post
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

http://www.medgadget.com/2013/08/restore...y-mri.html

I remember reading about this new stimulator.

I hope all of you will get what is needed to reduce your pain and your recovery is smooth.

Clicked the link to show the newest one.... never saw that one.. other Medtronic Rep showed me a small rectangle looking one and said it was rechargeable and the batteries should last up to nine years. Guess all I can do is cross my fingers that the surgeon says ok.... I trust him too... he's put in a lot of them with success....

Well, since the doctor said he would put the request in on July 22nd., I decided to send a message to see if by chance if they heard anything from the Ins. Carrier.. Get a call and they said they didn't put the paperwork in until AUGUST 5TH!!! 15 days after my appointment... Now instead of waiting 11 days... I get to wait 26 more days...