Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
should I get an attorney?
Hi all,
I need some advice on a injury I had on the 13th, my glove was sucked into a mag base drill causing my left thumb to be ripped open and sliceing the tendons in half, I had surgery the following day to repair the injured part of my thumb but even the doctor is saying I may never have the same movement ever again. I am just not sure what to do for I have never needed work comp before.
Thank you for any advice you can give.

I would not run out and hire a lawyer. How are they treating you? In other words are they paying the bills? Are you off work? Are they paying WC if you are? Depending on what you do I don't see your injury paying out that much as long as they are doing what they should and you don't want to pay a lawyer if they do what they should in the first place.

Thank you for the reply. yes I am being treated well so far but it will be 5 to 6 months before I can work again. This is new for me, never needed work comp before so just trying to figure out the best way to go.

every state has a website that explains it's workers comp rules and benefits.
http://www.ic.nc.gov/ncic/pages/wcadmdir.htm
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I would wait, like Manly said.
Just keep in mind, your Nurse Case Manager is NOT your friend, she works for them.

I am an attorney, so I am admittedly biased on this point; however, at least in PA workers' compensation attorneys are willing to assist injured workers with their questions and provide guidance throughout the claim while only charging a fee if the case is litigated or settled. In other-words, you get expert legal advise for free and avoid the need for an attorney to get caught up if and when there is an issue. I don't see a downside for the injured worker, so in my opinion the injured worker's second call after reporting their injury should be an attorney. Just my two-cents.
Timothy D. Belt
DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania. The answer given is based only on the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.

Mr Belt Has a great point.
If I had an attorney from the begining, I probably would have been better off.

Thank you MR Belt and dusty for your insight. this is going to be a long road for me.Smile

A long road for us all unfortunatly.
You have us to talk to when you need us thouugh. Keep in mind there is also another section for just talking and socializing

(01-18-2015, 09:22 PM)okieakers Wrote: Hi all,
I need some advice on a injury I had on the 13th, my glove was sucked into a mag base drill causing my left thumb to be ripped open and sliceing the tendons in half, I had surgery the following day to repair the injured part of my thumb but even the doctor is saying I may never have the same movement ever again. I am just not sure what to do for I have never needed work comp before.
Thank you for any advice you can give.
Just my 2 cents & experience....I got an attorney w/o knowing anything about him, other then he had been at it for 30 years. In my case that was not good. He decided to retire (& acted uninterested in my case from go) but they were well known. I had 3 shoulder arthroscopes on my shoulder and when they decided I reached MMI they were going to shut me down. I kept my paperwork & knew my 2nd Dr. said I needed a Total Shoulder Replace on my 1st visit, but it dragged on. Rather then the Attrny letting the insurer know, he filed for a conference. At the same time I emailed my insurer reminding them, the compensation judge, the Attrny & my Dr. that I was ready for the replacement.
My Attrny attested his action stopped the action & decided it was time to start taking 25% from my weekly benefits (2/3 of my work wage) w/o the conference he suggested. Luckily I spend 100's of hrs. learning how it all works (which makes me about 20% there) and we mutually agreed to part ways (unpaid) since I knew he did nothing special & honestly, he needed to retire.
Actually after 2.5 yrs. I just found this site today & wish I would have earlier. Great site, lot's of info as apposed to others. I found it via Twitter.
No one will care more about you then yourself & it's worth it to educate yourself about anything you might be tempted to agree on 1st. After all, look at what Insurers advertise they can do for workers comp & employers but NOT THE EMPLOYEE!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone hired another attorney to fight Dr. reports or Attorney mishandeling Confusedd 17 17,788 02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  State Attorney or Private Attorney? jdx4 13 12,948 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Still in Limbo