Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maryland - Attorney Responsibility?
What is the attorney responsibility in Maryland after they get their percentage of payment?

I hired an attorney when I got injured and have been told by docs I will be on meds for life. Permanent disability has been paid but about once a year the insurance company decides to send me to IME and fight meds or appointments. At this point the attorney doesn't see future payment so no longer wants to handle. As far as I know I can't pay him direct but I still need services. I guess I don't know where to go from here since they handled everything prior. Any advice would be appreciated.

I guess I thought they were supposed to handle services still? It is frustrating since my quality of life has dramatically changed since injury and I don't know how to navigate these waters.

Thank you!

Have you tried changing attorneys?
i suggest you also contact the Attorney Grievance Commission at 100 Community Place, S3301, Crownsville, MD 21032, (410) 514-7051. They are responsible for all complaints against lawyers licensed to practice in Maryland.
http://www.courts.state.md.us/attygrievance/
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I have not tried changing attorney's yet as I don't think anyone will want to take it
since this has been almost 7 years in the works and the current attorney has been awarded their fees already from PPD. I doubt any payment for them will occur unless my condition worsens. It is spinal with nerve issues so there is always a chance.

I don't know the technicalities of what support the attorney is supposed to provide long term and have not been able to find information online regarding this. I want to be sure I am understanding the situation. If they are not liable to continue giving assistance I don't want to fuss about it.

I can't be the only client they have that has IME's and medical denials every year for continuing care. They don't seem to want to explain to me how they handle those situations.

Thank you for taking the time to read my earlier post and reply.

Until they are relieved or dismissed as your attorney of record, they are your duely authorized representative and you are entitled to the same level of service as before their fee was paid.
As a practical matter other clients often are given a higher priority when the atty is allocating their time.
You can also represent yourself in these matters if you feel comfortable with the legal process.
An alternative that you should discuss with your atty is a settlement of your future medical. An additional fee may be awarded for such a service.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I recommend to contact your attorney, and discuss your concerns.

I am not from your state but have read of this situation occurring in my state. I have read the attorney should still represent you. As 1171 wrote above some attorney's do not give clients the same attention after they have been paid out on the clients PD award. Some attorney's, the more ethical one's treat all clients the same.

Until you release your attorney, or he releases himself, he is representing you still.

Hopefully someone from your state will respond.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Anyone?Maryland WC Greybeard11 2 330 03-03-2019, 01:43 AM
Last Post: 1171
  IMR Applications and Attorneys responsibility Shadow 18 5,716 12-24-2017, 01:10 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Question about Workers Comp & SSDI regarding Overpayments (Maryland) CZA1225 5 7,609 04-27-2014, 02:07 PM
  Injured on Part Time Job (Maryland) Mjlewis1140 4 3,955 02-26-2014, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Mjlewis1140
  At what point does an injury no longer become WC responsibility vinga 3 4,586 02-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Lost in Maryland roughasher 1 1,726 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM
  Maryland - hearing and unsure what to make of it??? constantpain 5 4,482 05-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Last Post: hamrs_62
  Concerned in Maryland Backagain 15 7,803 02-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Lauperk86
  Pain Management Doctor in Maryland Lauperk86 4 4,334 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Workers Comp Advice Maryland Mzkelly82 24 15,370 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Mzkelly82