Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pysch.
(07-23-2015, 11:29 PM)dolphins Wrote: I have not read anything that states a MSA has anything to do with these vouchers. Contact an I&A officer and ask if your date of injury qualifies for vouchers. Again, the info written about above in the blog is for dates of injury after 1/1/2013.

The link I provided above has info for older dates of injury too. Contact an I&A officer about your rights to see if you still qualify for college vouchers for your date of injury and MSA has nothing to do with this. I would recommend you look into it now.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Will do.

Called I@A, she is out till Tuesday. Called CMS, spoke with the lady who does the msa, and she told me that it doesn't matter if the ic/da hire someone to do the msa eval. or if I had an att. and we did the msa eval , it makes no difference. Both would be the same.

Also, the ca/da have stopped all contact with me, so she told me I could contact the firm they hired, and they have to provide me with copies and updates, just like they do for the da/ca.

If anyone is unrepped like me, you can contact the firm doing the msa, and have them copy you with everything they copy the da/ca.

Just read this on the wcab web page.

Q: When will I receive the supplemental job displacement benefit voucher?

A: For injuries occurring between Jan. 1, 2004 and Dec. 31, 2012, if you are eligible for the voucher and you haven't settled your eligibility (as part of an overall settlement in your case) you will receive the voucher from the claims administrator within 25 calendar days from the date your disability award is issued by the workers' compensation judge at the local Workers' Compensation Appeals Board district office. For injuries occurring on or after Jan. 1, 2013, the voucher is due 20 calendar days from expiration of time for making an offer of work. The offer of work must be made within 60 days after receipt of Form DWC-AD 10133.32.

Q: When can I expect to receive the payments specified in the voucher?

]A: The claims administrator must issue reimbursement payments to you or direct payments to the VRTWC and training provider within 45 calendar days from receipt of the completed voucher, receipts and documentation.

About time frames for using the voucher:

Q. Does a voucher expire?

A. The voucher does not expire if issued prior to Jan. 1, 2013. If issued on or after Jan. 1, 2013, the voucher will expire within two years of being issued or five years from the date of injury, whichever comes later.

My date of injury does fall between these dates. So I guess I am eligible.

California_Help. I was reading some more on VR, and you were right, it does say you have to be injured after 1/2013 to be eligible for the extra 5000. This is what it say's.

It would seem I'm eligible for 10,000. Since my injury was in 04, and my rating, just for lower extremities/rsd is 56%

What do you think?

About how the voucher works and determining amounts:

A: For injuries occurring between Jan. 1, 2004 and Dec. 31, 2012, you will receive the voucher on form 10133.57. When you receive the voucher, the claims administrator should have completed lines 1 - 8. You are then responsible for completing lines 9 - 19. Lines 9 - 12 must be completed when using a vocational return to work counselor (VRTWC). A list of counselors is available to you on the DWC Web site. If you do not select a counselor, you do not need to complete lines 9 - 12. The training provider you select should assist you in completing lines 13 - 19 on the voucher. You can contact the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPVE) at http://www.bppe.ca.gov to get a list of accredited private schools in your area. When you have completed the voucher, you must sign and date it before sending it back to the claims administrator. You must also attach any receipts or invoices for direct payment to you, the training provider, and/or the VRTWC. You can expect the payment to be made within 45 calendar days from the date the claims administrator receives the voucher.
For injuries on or after Jan 1, 2013, you will receive the voucher on form 10133.32. When you receive the voucher, the claims administrator should have completed the information on the first page. If you will be using the services of a vocational return-to-work counselor, and/or training provider or school, complete the second page and mail it along with a copy of the first page to the claims administrator. If you would like to request an advance and/or reimbursement on miscellaneous expenses up to $500, complete the third page and return it to the claims administrator. If you would like to request reimbursement for computer equipment, tuition, fees, books, and/or tools, return page four to the claims administrator along with receipts and documentation. You can expect the payment to be made within 45 calendar days from the date the claims administrator receives the voucher. Injured workers with a date of injury on or after Jan. 1, 2013 and who have received a SJDB voucher for said injury may be eligible for a one-time return-to-work supplement of $5000. All vouchers must be accompanied by a cover sheet prepared by the claims administrator containing notice of the Return to Work Supplement Program. Find out more at the Return-to-Work Supplement Program page.

Q: What is the amount of the voucher and how is the amount determined?

A: For injuries occurring between Jan. 1, 2004 and Dec. 31, 2012, the amount of the voucher depends on the level of your disability award:
•Up to $4,000 voucher for permanent partial disability of less than 15 percent
•Up to $6,000 voucher for permanent partial disability between 15 and 25 percent
•Up to $8,000 voucher for permanent partial disability between 26 and 49 percent
•Up to $10,000 voucher for permanent partial disability between 50 and 99 percent
For injuries occurring on or after Jan 1, 2013, the amount of the voucher is $6000.

I would recommend applying for it if you are interested in attending college. It can be used at any state, city or vocational college on a list they have on the states web site. A small amount can be used for a computer at stated above. There are expiration dates to use the voucher after you receive it.

If physically going to class is too difficult most colleges offer classes on-line. There are benefits to getting into a classroom and conversing with others. However many of the on-line classes are set up in a way to converse with other classmates. It depends on the instructor. You can make an appointment with a disabled student services counselor if you need accommodations. An example of accommodations could be double time for testing's if you are on pain medications or dealing with pain issues. You would be surprised how many adults with physical challenges are attending college successfully. My Grandmother went back to college in her 70's just for fun and was able to get a really good job as a result.

I remember reading about a cut off date for these voucher benefits for older dates of injury, but I did not see anything on the states website...so I may be mistaken. It does mention expiration dates to use the voucher after you receive it, so I would keep that in mind when applying.

My personal opinion on the vocational counselors is it is a waste of your voucher. You can get free counseling at the college.

If you want to move forward I would fill out the form.

Good luck to you and let me know how it goes.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Thank you. I will do that. I will let you know what I find out on Monday.

I want to thank for providing the web page, without that, I wouldn't have found the info I needed. Thank you very much California_Help.

Spoke to the I@A officer in person today, she said the vocational retraining vouchers were eliminated in 2012..

She said it was a scam anyway.

At this point, I don't know if I believe her, or trust her.

Supplemental job displacement benefits

Employees injured on or after Jan. 1, 2004, who have a permanent partial disability caused by an injury, and whose employer does not offer other work, may qualify for the supplemental job displacement benefits (SJDB). SJDB comes in the form of a non-transferable voucher that can be used to pay for educational retraining or skill enhancement, or both, at state-approved or state-accredited schools. The offer of work must be on a DWC form.

If you disagree with the claims administrator about the SJDB voucher, you can file a Request for Dispute Resolution form with the DWC. The form will be reviewed by the DWC and a decision will be issued. Send the "Request for Dispute Resolution" form to:

State of California
Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Workers' Compensation
Attention: SJDB
P.O. Box 420603
San Francisco, CA 94142
•Frequently asked questions about the supplemental job displacement benefits
•Vocational return to work counselors (VRTWC) list ◦Application for appointment as a Vocational Return To Work Counselor and Instructions

•Return to Work Supplement Program (RTWSP)

April 2015

I just read this, and if you will notice, the date of this report is April 2015.

I also went to the wcab web page and read this.

Employees injured on or after Jan. 1, 2013, with injuries that result in permanent partial disability, and whose employer does not offer other regular, modified or alternative work, may also qualify for the SJDB voucher. The offer must be made within 60 days after receipt by the claims administrator of the Physician’s Return-to-Work & Voucher Report (Form DWC-AD 10133.36) The voucher amount is $6000 for all levels of permanent disability and can be used for training at a California public school or any other provider listed on the state’s eligible training provider list. It can also be used to pay licensing or certification and testing fees, to purchase tools required by a training course, to purchase computer equipment of up to $1,000 and to reimburse up to $500 in miscellaneous expenses. Up to 10 percent, or $600, may be used to pay for the services of a licensed placement agency or vocational counselor. No more than 10 percent of the value of the voucher can be used for vocational & return to work counseling.

If you notice the date say's for injuries on or after JAN, !, 2013.

California_Help, can you see if this is correct, or she is wrong?

And why would she say it ended in 2012 if this say's on or after Jan, !, 2013?

(07-28-2015, 03:42 PM)dolphins Wrote: Supplemental job displacement benefits

Employees injured on or after Jan. 1, 2004, who have a permanent partial disability caused by an injury, and whose employer does not offer other work, may qualify for the supplemental job displacement benefits (SJDB). SJDB comes in the form of a non-transferable voucher that can be used to pay for educational retraining or skill enhancement, or both, at state-approved or state-accredited schools. The offer of work must be on a DWC form.

If you disagree with the claims administrator about the SJDB voucher, you can file a Request for Dispute Resolution form with the DWC. The form will be reviewed by the DWC and a decision will be issued. Send the "Request for Dispute Resolution" form to:

State of California
Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Workers' Compensation
Attention: SJDB
P.O. Box 420603
San Francisco, CA 94142
•Frequently asked questions about the supplemental job displacement benefits
•Vocational return to work counselors (VRTWC) list ◦Application  for appointment as a Vocational Return To Work Counselor and Instructions

•Return to Work Supplement Program (RTWSP)

April 2015

I just read this, and if you will notice, the date of this report is April 2015.

I also went to the wcab web page and read this.

Employees injured on or after Jan. 1, 2013, with injuries that result in permanent partial disability, and whose employer does not offer other regular, modified or alternative work, may also qualify for the SJDB voucher. The offer must be made within 60 days after receipt by the claims administrator of the Physician’s Return-to-Work & Voucher Report (Form DWC-AD 10133.36) The voucher amount is $6000 for all levels of permanent disability and can be used for training at a California public school or any other provider listed on the state’s eligible training provider list. It can also be used to pay licensing or certification and testing fees, to purchase tools required by a training course, to purchase computer equipment of up to $1,000 and to reimburse up to $500 in miscellaneous expenses. Up to 10 percent, or $600, may be used to pay for the services of a licensed placement agency or vocational counselor. No more than 10 percent of the value of the voucher can be used for vocational & return to work counseling.

If you notice the date say's for injuries  on or after JAN, !, 2013.

California_Help, can you see if this is correct, or she is wrong?

And why would she say it ended in 2012 if this say's on or after Jan, !, 2013?

These are two different programs. The current voucher program is from legislation that was passed in 2012 SB863.You do not qualify for the new voucher benefit. It is for injuries on or after 1/1/2013 so disregard that.

I thought you qualified for the other voucher for injuries beginning 1/1/2004-2012. Remember I thought there may have been a cut off date to apply? I would get verification that you cannot apply for the voucher that began on 1/2004 from another I&A officer. She either misunderstood you or there was a cut off date and it is no longer available. I would double check because it does not state there was a cut off date on the website that I could see. Please post what you find out as it will be helpful for others in your situation. I have also read if you have a 100% PD rating you do not qualify for the vouchers.

If you find out you do not qualify for the college voucher and you want to go to college, there are other ways to get funding and grants to pay for it. I suggest meeting with a college counselor they can guide you to were to find help. I think with limited income and having physical challenges you could absolutely get help.

I will look into this, and let everyone know what I find out.