Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help for the next steps!!
.....I hope you get what you deserve.Some on this site have been fighting for 10 years and still living on a check based on 10 years ago.you are lucky if you come out a WC injury without losing everything you have including your mind.3 bulged discs can be fixed get it done.I blew out 2 in my lower back and 2 in my neck it took 2 years and a good lawyer to get done.
Bronco was in a MVA and flatlined several times WC screwed him
cervical fusion blew out several in his neck and back and has had several surgeries and still they havent settled and its been 10 years.
you have 3 bulged discs if you wont take the shots be prepared to be put at MMI.since you are taking no pain meds they will say you are as fixed as you are gonna get.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

I am so sorry about your back, but one thing for sure is there is no guestimating your mmi rating, In our state non surgery back runs 3% Then if the nerve damage effects the leg they figure that in as well. If they don't find you 100% you get squat,. You say you don't want the meds, but do you take them..? and does your treating dr know..?

(06-21-2014, 12:33 PM)bronco54501 Wrote: I am so sorry about your back, but one thing for sure is there is no guestimating your mmi rating, In our state non surgery back runs 3% Then if the nerve damage effects the leg they figure that in as well. If they don't find you 100% you get squat,. You say you don't want the meds, but do you take them..? and does your treating dr know..?

I'll sum this up. First of all, I apologize, for anyone who was done wrong by work comp. From day one I was a hard a. I didn't give WSI (workforce safety and insurance) a chance to screw me. They even still did. They said my injury was pre existing, my company made me go to their Dr. He released me to work for 3 days after about 4 months. I went back for those three days and my company fired me on some trumped up BS. At that point is when I got approved for work comp. 4 1/2 months later. And only medical. I fought and got my wage loss. I got north Dakota max 995 per week. But they only dated it for 4 1/2 months back pay because my companies bunk doctor released me to work. We'll since I had medical now, I got my own dr. Then a neurosurgeon, and a physical therapist, etc. All verified that I was still in fact injured and I even got played on more strict restrictions. Now, for what I am sure of. In North Dakota, surgery will not affect my rating. I cannot be forced. Also, Jayne, you are right. If I deny injections and surgery, I need to be prepared to get an mmi. In ND, lumbar injuries can be up to 28%. What I was simply saying from the beginning is with a 10lb restriction, no bending, sitting, standing, walking etc. And nerve damage... my mmi rating should be high. Especially since WSI is telling me not to work at all and collect my full weekly wage. They are sending me for classes to see where I am intelligence wise in case I need re training. There is a hierarchy they need to follow. It starts with going back to same job, if not, same company different position. If not different company same position. If not, I can take any job within my restrictions. (Which if you know of one you could tell me) the catch is I need to make a certain amount other wise WSI will send me to two years of re training. Now this is all after my mmi rating. However. I've dealt with these people a long time. I know it will come to settlement. I had a stipulation written up so good by my attorney. They tried cutting my benefits one time, said that I needed to be working for them to pay the difference of my wage loss. I sent them another copy of the stipulation and my benefits were reinstated and they back payed the 7 weeks again. The way I see it is there are two options, I will receive a high mmi rating which will translate into perm dis. At least to some level. Meaning monthly payments for 1500 weeks or until I'm 65. (40 years) plus medical. This will be a very very expensive route. And they know this. The second option would be a payout settlement. I'm not hurting for the money. And that's the insurance companies worst enemy is someone who is financially of to go rounds with them. They will cheat you at any corner. Also someone asked about the meds. Yes I get them prescribed. I take anything that is NOT for pain. In other words if it helps my condition I take it. If it masks pain I don't. Surgery may fix my back. It may make it worse. It may make no difference. A fusion to me is a temporary fix. It puts more stress on the surrounding vertebrae. I want the settlement so that I can treat myself naturally. I'm not a natural freak, or anything, I just believe this injury would be better treated with hard work and some sweat and a great trainer. If I treated this injury my way I would be immediately cut from all benefits. WSI will not recognize my for of treatment. But this is my body and by law I don't have to practice WSI treatments. In recent years I've completed in weight lifting. I never obtained an injury. Back injuries are more prone to those with weak cores. Thank you again for all of your input.

One thing to remember, at your young age if surgery is an option and you have any intentions of getting better do it fast for 2 big reasons... 1.. do it while wc is willing so you don't have to suffer later when they cut you off and it takes years to get approval. 2. your young and your chances of a succesfull recovery are great, but if you wait many other problems will arise and maybe not even be able to walk..

In my mva I suffered multiple injuries, shattered hip, broke left side of pelvis from the spine, shattered pubic bones, torn rotor cup, 14 broken ribs, both lungs punctured, bleeding in the brain, caught mrsa from a chest tube from the emt's . I have a highway made out of metal holding me together. Was stuck in a wheel chair and 1 year of pt. I was told I could never return to work from my dr, and my lawyer was mad when I went against there orders.. I had to prove to my self that I could still do my job and I did it for 1 1/2 years until I damaged my back because of my previous injuries... Injured in 2007 comp put me at mmi in 2010, stopped all money and stopped all medical. We settled last august 100% disabled from the dwd. I ended up with 6 years worth of wages stretched over 20 years and open medical for life.... We have lost everything due to this wc nightmare and almost our marriage. .. I wanted to share this with you so your informed of what wc can do to your life......

(06-21-2014, 01:27 PM)bronco54501 Wrote: One thing to remember, at your young age if surgery is an option and you have any intentions of getting better do it fast for 2 big reasons... 1.. do it while wc is willing so you don't have to suffer later when they cut you off and it takes years to get approval. 2. your young and your chances of a succesfull recovery are great, but if you wait many other problems will arise and maybe not even be able to walk..

In my mva I suffered multiple injuries, shattered hip, broke left side of pelvis from the spine, shattered pubic bones, torn rotor cup, 14 broken ribs, both lungs punctured, bleeding in the brain, caught mrsa from a chest tube from the emt's . I have a highway made out of metal holding me together. Was stuck in a wheel chair and 1 year of pt. I was told I could never return to work from my dr, and my lawyer was mad when I went against there orders.. I had to prove to my self that I could still do my job and I did it for 1 1/2 years until I damaged my back because of my previous injuries... Injured in 2007 comp put me at mmi in 2010, stopped all money and stopped all medical. We settled last august 100% disabled from the dwd. I ended up with 6 years worth of wages stretched over 20 years and open medical for life.... We have lost everything due to this wc nightmare and almost our marriage. .. I wanted to share this with you so your informed of what wc can do to your life......

Wow, I'm sorry for your injuries and losses. I can only imagine how tough a road it has been. After a year and a half I can definitely say that I've wanted to run (or hobble) up in that office and flip the place upside down. I couldn't imagine dealing with these people, asking their permission to live, foe ten years. But can I ask why you returned to work? I know for a short period while denied I went back to physically demanding work. They said later after they approved me that I must be on if I did that. I said it was that or be homeless, since an insurance company was doing everything to hurt and not help me. It turned out to be a non issue because well, it made sense. What was your reason for returning to work? Also, why did you choose to settle? We're you financially forced? They can't make me accept anything. I know what would be suitable. They have already back payed me in lump sums up to about 40k now. I'm finally receiving my weekly payments on time. They know I'm not leaving... that also know I won't get excited over a settlement. Unless it's where I need to be. I gotta say, I'm sure there is a lot of great info in this forum, but it looks like most people in here have only the bad news. If you know about the oil boom in North Dakota then you know how dangerous it is. And WSI is notorious for games and they are always in court with the state. I know of a handful of oil rig injuries that were paid out from 260-630k for oilfield injuries. Many of those less severe than mine.

Since I was 15 I have always worked, I knew no other way of life. The last 10 years of my working at times worked 3 jobs, never really got to see my first son grow up. Once injured they kept telling me I would never work again with my injuries, I wasn't going to just give up so in 1 year I went back to work. Mainly just to prove myself, money at this time wasn't a real problem, wc was always on time. After the re injury that's when the wc started their games, After a year we were in financial ruins, we just built a new house had 2 new trucks and less than a year I got injured. We never thought of getting injury/sick ins on our loans and what a mistake. We have been in and out of forclosure since 2010 and without the income I used to make and wc not paying there was no way out unless we settled, so we did.....With our credit ruined we are letting the bank take it because we cant afford it anymore..... Wc is not setup to protect the workers, it just keeps the employers safe from lawsuits...

The oil fields hey, know any bishops from up there, a bunch of us Wisconsinites went there for this, some returned but some love the money......

I have pretty much the same restrictions you have and they have been putting me thru voc rehab now for 17 months and I've not even had one interview for a job. If you can find work they are only going to look at a possible wage lose for the difference. So you say your getting $1000 a week so if you find a job paying that there is no wage lose to pay you for. I'm sorry for you injury and hope you can do okay in the end but nobody gets rich off WC. You are young enough they could train you for another job cheaper then paying you for a wage lose. Most of the time they would spend $1000 to get out of paying you $100

(06-21-2014, 02:52 PM)bronco54501 Wrote: Since I was 15 I have always worked, I knew no other way of life. The last 10 years of my working at times worked 3 jobs, never really got to see my first son grow up. Once injured they kept telling me I would never work again with my injuries, I wasn't going to just give up so in 1 year I went back to work. Mainly just to prove myself, money at this time wasn't a real problem, wc was always on time. After the re injury that's when the wc started their games, After a year we were in financial ruins, we just built a new house had 2 new trucks and less than a year I got injured. We never thought of getting injury/sick ins on our loans and what a mistake. We have been in and out of forclosure since 2010 and without the income I used to make and wc not paying there was no way out unless we settled, so we did.....With our credit ruined we are letting the bank take it because we cant afford it anymore..... Wc is not setup to protect the workers, it just keeps the employers safe from lawsuits...

The oil fields hey, know any bishops from up there, a bunch of us Wisconsinites went there for this, some returned but some love the money......
I'm sorry for all of your losses. It's taken a toll on my relationship as well. I'm usually miserable. Something about being 25 and asking for help putting my socks on really pisses me off.
I feel if you hadn't been in a financial struggle you would have gotten more. The only thing that saved me was when I went to north dakota I had my last 180 bucks. I had no bills due at the time. And I rented out my house in Spokane wa. I was making great money. But when I got injured, luckily I paid all debt off. So it was just a waiting game. I know how fortunate I am to lose nothing. Except my mobility of course. I know what I need to settle. And I won't until they meet me there. I've seen it a few times from guys in the same company. A guy I worked with got 330k for a smashed hand and torn rotator cuff. And I met people from all over the world. I was good friends with a guy from Wisconsin. A girl I knew from WA went there and she met a guy from Wisconsin too and married him lol. There is a lot of money there. I'm also fortunate that I had such high wages when I was injured.

(06-21-2014, 03:07 PM)Manley2 Wrote: I have pretty much the same restrictions you have and they have been putting me thru voc rehab now for 17 months and I've not even had one interview for a job. If you can find work they are only going to look at a possible wage lose for the difference. So you say your getting $1000 a week so if you find a job paying that there is no wage lose to pay you for. I'm sorry for you injury and hope you can do okay in the end but nobody gets rich off WC. You are young enough they could train you for another job cheaper then paying you for a wage lose. Most of the time they would spend $1000 to get out of paying you $100

Thanks for the input! What state are you injured in? Also, WSI will only pay for 6 therapy sessions for me. And I have two left. Then I'll be recommended ended for shots or surgery. At which point I will deny both. Now, per the written stipulation my attorney wrote and WSI signed, they will either keep paying my weekly wage, or make me get an mmi rating. It's not like my adjuster is gonna come over and give my mmi rating. The doctors and my whole team working on me are in nobody's pockets. They cannot deny my real mmi rating. Also, I know the wage loss benefits very well. They told me I get 995 a week. They said focus on getting better if possible. I told them that I wanted to get a part time job to get out of the house. I though they would be happy I was trying to save them money... nope. They told me not to work. It's hard to explain but until you have been and worked in North dakota, you won't understand how things are there. There is millions of barrels of crude leaving that state daily. They are tossing settlements like crazy. It's cheaper to pay guys 500k than 995 a week and medical for 1500 weeks. So many people get qualified for the max. Because even Walmart starts at 21 an hour. They want to push everything under the rug. Because let's face it, there's guys losing there mobility and lives every day in the oil business. But as fast as the money goes out, it comes in twice as fast. It's sad that they are doing business this way. Because they try to starve you out, withold YOUR money. They have fought me so hard, and will more than likely settle. Meanwhile my actual injury never got helped because of their sh1tty system. After a year and a half I finally go to physical therapy??? They finally approved everything all at once and now it seems as though I'm on a fast track. Fast track to be paid to shut up and then I'll get swept under the rug with the rest. In hopes that I can seek the proper help and rehabilitation on my own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery Claim Denied. Next Steps? Clchew 1 4,452 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Dishonest AME report - Steps? illumineart 7 5,704 07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Last Post: admin
  What are the steps to becomming MMI ifyour Dr. doesn't explain things to ya? Sunshine7 23 16,606 01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  Steps To Settlement Netta 2 2,861 12-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Netta