Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
disaster with the new house.
We bought another house on a land contract, it was a fixer upper. I had a chance to look at it last summer and knew it needed some work to make it up to our standards. The renters were supposed to be out on the 1st but yet to have all their stuff out. I know the young couple that has been staying there and have been giving them a bit of leeway by not charging them rent since I bought it. Today I went there to find out what they all had left to do. Now I havnt been inside for almost a year and now I found out it will need new floors in the laundry room and small bathroom and all new dry wall because they knew the washer line was leaking between the walls since last fall. Two of the bedrooms have broken windows, they just put plastic up on the inside and all the rain/snow has leaked through the sills and now needs new drywall and a few studs replaced. They have left the dogs in the house for the last week or so and now smells like a kennel with very strong urine smell.

I picked this house up dirt cheap but wasn't expecting the extra repairs.. Im so livid about this situation, I had the dogs removed by the animal shelter. I didn't even give them a chance to get them first, they are looking at charges of neglect. Since they had the legal notice to be out on the 1st I gave them until sat afternoon to get everything out or there stuff is going to the land fill.. The yard is just full of garbage beer cans , bags of garbage, about 25 tires laying in the grass, scrap metal, you name it and its probably laying. I took a bunch of pictures today just to have evidence, but check out the stove as it tells you what the rest looks like. I know some people are different but how could a person even cook on this thing.....
[Image: 25uo5eg.jpg]

trust but verify.
if you would have known what was happening, I'm sure you wouldn't have given them the extra time to abuse the place.
should have looked the place over before deciding on the extra days.

if their folks didn't take care of the home/prorperty when the tenents were growing up that's the example they live up to. humans learn by example and it's difficult to overcome bad examples.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

trust but verify.
if you would have known what was happening, I'm sure you wouldn't have given them the extra time to abuse the place.
should have looked the place over before deciding on the extra days.
they just followed the bad example that was set by their folks.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Wow. So sorry Bronoco. Looks like some serious work ahead but with the remodeling you can make this place exactly how you want it to be.

1171, you are right, Im not a prime example from my mothers teaching but I do like a clean house, not spotless but kept up... I don't understand why these kids would do this, considering I have known the boy since he was little and was a neat freak. I believe his girlfriend must have rubbed off on him... Oh well, it is what it is and we will just have to deal with it now....

Bummer, we have big plans with this house and it will take some time but it will be worth it in the end. Before the original house burned down it was beautifully landscaped, but the years of renters have ruined almost all of it...

We have been busy with the new house, after having most of the rugs and padding taken out the smell is mostly gone, what a relief... The water damage has weakend the sub floor into the kitchen as well. My son pulled the furnace from the laundry room to start replacing the sub floor when he found the duct work wasn't even connected to the furnace due to the floor rotting. Thank god he is not working right now or I would have to hire someone...

Sounds like a lot is being accomplished Bronco. Bless you son for being there.

Almost a month later and finally showing signs of improvement. Been doing a lot of cleaning, inside and in the yard realizing this kid needs a azzzzzzz whooping. The house don't have a basement but does have a 3ft high crawl space with cement blocks surrounding the house. He managed to knock 2 10ft sections in about 4 inches with his truck. This really is not a big deal but it jarred the back sections which is under ground and broke the back plaster. Now with the heavy rainfall we have had has washed mud under the house which now needs to be shoveled out. We had called diggers hot line and they had come out and marked the under ground electrical.. The back and half one side has to be dug out to repair it...Its another cost we were not prepared for and will stall some other things.. While were trying to stay in a budget there is no way I will do it with sloppy short cuts that will give us problems later..

I took a few pics today of what were pondering and not sure what we want to do.. Maybe yous can share your thoughts...

[Image: 2a69kzo.jpg]

We are undecided if we should continue with the cultured split rock or continue with the yellow pine which goes around the patio doors.

[Image: 1emlj5.jpg]

In here we have a lot to repair.. But first check out the old Montgomery ward air conditioner which has been in this window for 3 years all year long... He complained of his electrical bills being so high. If you were to zoom in you can see daylight in his cheap broken window repair and that old ac is not very efficient, the date on it is from the 80's...lol.

Any ways this picture is just some of the damage he did, but where the big hole is will be a new entrance for doms room so he don't have to walk from the back of the house through the kitchen to get to our room. We don't know if we want to dry wall it or finish it up with the knotty pine.. Why we are undecided is this home has a 9 foot cathedral ceiling and might look a bit corny with it rising 2 ft from the side wall.

Either way would be beautiful although I favor the knotty pine.

(07-12-2014, 10:59 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: Either way would be beautiful although I favor the knotty pine.

Thanks Bummer

We are leaning in that direction, but either way after the door is framed in we will drywall it anyways, then possibly continue with the knotty.. It would be an easier decision if they had gone with the knotty pine by the patio, instead of the yellow pine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House smells mmmmmmmmmmmm jayne 6 3,328 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Screwing with the white house bodybuilder1958 0 1,818 10-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  Not the norm, male vs female my house bodybuilder1958 3 2,868 03-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Last Post: bronco54501
Shy Is there a doctor in the house?? Wink 1 2,134 01-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Cervical_Fusion
  Amazing Grace sung to the music of House of the rising sun..... Bad Boy Bad Boy 14 17,552 05-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel
  Today, March 13th Is Call In Day to Kansas Speaker of the House Bummer Knees 5 3,276 03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Names for Bill & Hillary's house CRABBY 3 2,542 01-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Tuffy
  schmitt house collateraldamage5591 6 2,834 12-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Last Post: halftrak
  House For Sale Tuffy 3 2,373 08-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Last Post: capricorn
  anyone want to clean my house"penguin Adventures" tweety00 32 9,789 06-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo