Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OWCP (federal) had surgery twice, now what?
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and I have a few questions... first off, a synopsis of what led me to visiting this website:

April 2011 I injured my right shoulder severely conducting collapsible baton training (I was an instructor, law enforcement). I subsequently had an MRI, and a surgery for a torn labrum in October of 2011.

Fast forward to February 2013 (after PT and all that) I moved my right arm outward, and felt a searing pain in my right shoulder. Went back to the same doc (after going back through the federal workers compensation deal) and had another MRI. In August of 2013 I had surgery again to repair the same labrum.

I have completed my PT, and my shoulder is useable, but nowhere near where it was prior to the original surgery back in 2011. I still have random pains, and have numbness in my fingers. When I went back to the doc a few months ago, he gave me a shot in my shoulder to help with the pain and awkward feeling. It didn't help much. I don't take pills since I have a bad liver apparently (the VA told me that), so taking muscle relaxers and pain pills are not an option. What do I do now? I would love a settlement, I would probably suck it up and be happy with some money (with open-ended medical care preferably). Is anyone here familiar with federal workers comp claims? What do I do to ask about a settlement? Is it even an option for federal workers?

Have any of you had a shoulder surgery where it got back to 100% use?

Thanks in advance everyone for taking the time to read my post.

I am sorry I am not familiar with federal work comp.

I suggest contacting an attorney who is familiar with it. Attempting to settle will be easier with an attorney. Their consults are free and they take a small % of the settlement.

Good luck to you.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Suggestions on finding one? Especially one familiar with feds?

(06-04-2014, 10:03 AM)tampabud Wrote: Suggestions on finding one? Especially one familiar with feds?

Contact a lawyer in your area and ask if they know of one who practices for federal.

generally:
you have to be declared at Maximum Medical Improvement and then have an impairment rating done in order to determine permanent disability benefits.
an award for the PD and open medical will be based on the rating.

also generally your union or employee representative organization has recommendations for attys to represent you.

you may also find such an atty here
http://exchange.nela.org/findalawyer
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Try doing a google search with search terms Federal workers compensation superlawyers (then put your state).

Superlawyers are higher ranked attorney's. You can also do a google search for federal workers compensation attorney's and then list your state.

Here is a link called AVVO. You can do a search near your area. They also have a question and answer section and yo can ask for referrals for federal work comp attorney's in your state.
http://www.avvo.com/workers-compensation...geles.html

Before hiring an attorney, do a google search on the attorney with search term reviews. This is one way to see if one in particular has complaints.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  State/federal tax Toyster16 4 5,489 04-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Last Post: 1171
Question looking for advice about federal workers' comp, and working in the private sector. shabanski 1 3,173 08-26-2014, 01:55 PM
  Federal Workers Comp Lynda 7 9,955 04-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Rolleyes OWCP open claim against Scheduled award with USPS kacy257 3 6,159 08-13-2012, 07:37 PM
  Federal Workers Comp/Disability sinnister 2 6,099 06-09-2011, 10:47 AM
  Pa federal employee workmans comp seeya65 1 5,035 05-25-2011, 07:34 PM
  OWCP Schedule Award hurt1 2 13,348 08-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Last Post: hurt1
  OWCP Doctor hurt1 0 2,797 08-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Last Post: hurt1
  federal workman's comp settlement ghostrider3771 1 15,158 04-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Last Post: inpainokla
  Federal comp settlement ?? help! woodylulu 1 8,885 04-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Last Post: ghostrider3771