Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on cervical spine
Saw the neurosurgeon yesterday. Doctor Reviewed the MRI noted a couple of changes with the fusion, we are watching the level above and below the fusion.

Good news no nerve entrapment. Blood pressure was high with the neck and shoulder pain, course I was told I need to take my meds but you know me I would rather rough it than take the meds.

Did learn I have abnormal reflexes of the arms for whatever reason.

One things that was suggested was to wear a soft cervical collar at night.

My question is, anyone on the forum wear a soft collar at night and is it helping?

BK I have had days that I hurt so bad, that I have put on my old had collar and used it some and it does seem to give me some relief, My Dr, has suggested at times that I sleep with a soft collar, but have not done it.
Cervical Fusion 2003, c5-c6. Herniated and damaged Disc L1- L4-L5 S1. Lumbar Spinal Cord stimulator implant 09-2008. Cervical ACDF revision with hardware c4-c5-c6-c7 Sept 2009.
SSDI approved 3-2010. NOW OFFICIALY RETIRED

Thanks CF, I am thankful my cervical spine issues are not worse than what they are and surgery is not needed at this time.

Last week was a bad week, I experienced 5 out of 7 migraine days, I did not take meds and ended up in bed with the migraine and nausea.

Last week I was helping with the opening of the pool and helping put the new liner in. Did some hands over the head and pulling on the liner to fit the pool for about 15 minutes, big mistake!

The doctor and I talked about what I can and can not do, this is a learning experience for me.

Bummer I feel so sorry for you with the migraines. I've only had them a few times in my life and with that last being many years ago. But I can still remember what they were like and would wish them on nobody. I'm so thankful my injury was not in the neck and have these problems.
But like you we all have to remember the things we should not do but sadly sometimes it's just standing up and turning that can cause me to feel like I'm going to hit the ground. Don't know what it has been like in your area this holiday weekend but here the weather has been pretty nice but I've been in the house most of it. Got thinking this morning about the things that would be nice to get done these past few days but then it makes me feel bad when I think about how I will not be doing these kind of things again.
A pool would be nice but between the wife and I we could never take care of it. My wife keeps wanting to buy one but she has never owned one so she really has no idea of what it takes to keep up with them.

Thanks Manley.

It has been stormy here all weekend. Friday night alone we received 2 1/2 inches of badly needed rain. I live in a area that is declared a state of emergency due to the drought.

Once it warms up I will be using the pool. Last years we purchased new steps to replace the ladder making it much easier to get in and out of the pool.

Our pool is a doughboy purchased at a local pool supply store and is 16X33 ft. Years ago we built a vinyl top decking around the pool with a slide at the far end of the pool for the kids.

My husband says a sand filter and leaving the pump running 24/7 being the trick to taking care of and greatly reducing the work in caring for the pool.

I had a doughboy 18' round about 30 years ago now. It was at the house we bought but they put it too near a tree. It had the dirt filter so that might not have helped, just not sure. I know they have better equipment out there now that would make it better. Here I just don't think we get warm enough weather to be able to use a pool as much as I would like. Now some of that is me because I need the water warm to get in. Plus I just don't think I could get in and out with a ladder and steps would be so hard to put in.
Today is one of those days I really wish I had a pool. This is one of those days I woke up and got out an ice pack first thing and I think a pool would help on these days. It's just one of those days I wish the doctor could plug into my brain and understand what causes the pain and how to make it better. Now I think one of the problems is when I wake up on my back my hip is going to hurt. Now I'm on my back because it is hurting to lay on my hip so I'm not sure which causes which, if that makes since. A better bed might make it better but who knows

(05-26-2014, 02:52 PM)Manley2 Wrote: I had a doughboy 18' round about 30 years ago now. It was at the house we bought but they put it too near a tree. It had the dirt filter so that might not have helped, just not sure. I know they have better equipment out there now that would make it better. Here I just don't think we get warm enough weather to be able to use a pool as much as I would like. Now some of that is me because I need the water warm to get in. Plus I just don't think I could get in and out with a ladder and steps would be so hard to put in.
Today is one of those days I really wish I had a pool. This is one of those days I woke up and got out an ice pack first thing and I think a pool would help on these days. It's just one of those days I wish the doctor could plug into my brain and understand what causes the pain and how to make it better. Now I think one of the problems is when I wake up on my back my hip is going to hurt. Now I'm on my back because it is hurting to lay on my hip so I'm not sure which causes which, if that makes since. A better bed might make it better but who knows

We had a huge oval above ground pool at our home we sold 2 years ago that had a walking deck all around it with a large end where the patio set was. Miss it terribly. It was very little upkeep as there were no trees around so the water was always crystal clear. We used chlorine pucks in the skimmer, vacuumed it once a week and enjoyed it daily. We closed/opened it ourselves which really wasn't a big job.
We had a ladder going into it but at that time, I could run up and down a ladder.
I understand salt water is very easy to maintain.

What about a hot tub?? They are very therapeutic especially for the back.

A good mattress can make the world of difference on how you sleep. Have you ever slept on a pillow top?

Miss our pool and hot tub. Right now, getting in the water would be easy- fall in- but I wouldn't be able to ever get out now. Sad

We had a pillow top before the one we have now and I didn't think it was any better but I know there are many different types out there. Thinking one of the sleep number beds might be nice. Also need some good cover and sheets that help with heat. With nerve problems my legs can sweat and the rest be dry and cold.
Best thing about a pool is just to be in something deep enough to help take some weight off. Hot tubs are not bad but hard to get in and out of. They help more with the aches and pain with muscles.
Had thought one of those inversion things would help but I asked at PT and they said no

Manley my pool now has steps similar to stairs, the ladder we use to have was to difficult for me to use.

A few years ago we invested in the sleep number mattress. It helps some but I still spend many nights in the recliner.

(05-26-2014, 04:52 PM)Manley2 Wrote: We had a pillow top before the one we have now and I didn't think it was any better but I know there are many different types out there. Thinking one of the sleep number beds might be nice. Also need some good cover and sheets that help with heat. With nerve problems my legs can sweat and the rest be dry and cold.
Best thing about a pool is just to be in something deep enough to help take some weight off. Hot tubs are not bad but hard to get in and out of. They help more with the aches and pain with muscles.
Had thought one of those inversion things would help but I asked at PT and they said no

Until they settle I don't think I could even think about a good pool, not sure I could after that as well. Maybe if I hold my breath WC will buy me one!

I force myself sometimes to go to bed instead of staying in the chair. I spend all day there most days so I just can't give in and stop going to bed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MRI of cervical spine Bummer Knees 4 3,097 04-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Question about CT scan for cervical spine Bummer Knees 7 6,635 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
  Cervical spine Bummer Knees 22 12,811 03-27-2012, 04:59 PM
  Questions about the cervical spine Bummer Knees 2 2,697 06-30-2011, 10:26 AM
  A question for those with a cervical injury Bummer Knees 8 8,720 12-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Last Post: margarettefox
  LSI- Laser Spine Institute.. bronco54501 5 5,332 08-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Tuffy
  Spine Stimulator Keeping the faith 3 3,885 05-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Cervical_Fusion
  Use as Example Only, Spine Guide Bad Boy Bad Boy 7 4,527 04-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Last Post: stiffnecked
  Injured nurse.......doctor cancelled spine surgery Bummer Knees 25 9,673 02-13-2008, 10:17 PM
  Results of biopsy of the spine Bummer Knees 21 9,625 06-07-2007, 02:23 PM