Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL and pain killers
Anybody watch the story on the NFL player and pain killers? In general it is about players that had serious injuries and the team doctor gave them pain killers to keep them playing. Sorry there might be some rant in here by me. But any way their lawyer made the statement that there is no amount of money that could compensate these players now for not being able to get out of bed or be able to play with their kids. Sorry about this but why is there a very limited amount of money an injured worker can get for not being able to get out of bed or play with our kids? Now I do know why the laws are written to stop us from getting a real sum of money for our injuries but these are guys that were getting paid millions to play ball. I'm betting some of those players begged to get the meds to keep playing and not lose that income or simply to be able to keep playing. Some of this is not all that different then workers injured on the job. These player were injured on the job and not given the best medical care for the benefit of the employer. Is this different then what happens to us? Why are these guys going to get millions in the end for what is just a work comp injury that was not treated right? That is what this is

(05-21-2014, 09:30 AM)Manley2 Wrote: Anybody watch the story on the NFL player and pain killers? In general it is about players that had serious injuries and the team doctor gave them pain killers to keep them playing. Sorry there might be some rant in here by me. But any way their lawyer made the statement that there is no amount of money that could compensate these players now for not being able to get out of bed or be able to play with their kids. Sorry about this but why is there a very limited amount of money an injured worker can get for not being able to get out of bed or play with our kids? Now I do know why the laws are written to stop us from getting a real sum of money for our injuries but these are guys that were getting paid millions to play ball. I'm betting some of those players begged to get the meds to keep playing and not lose that income or simply to be able to keep playing. Some of this is not all that different then workers injured on the job. These player were injured on the job and not given the best medical care for the benefit of the employer. Is this different then what happens to us? Why are these guys going to get millions in the end for what is just a work comp injury that was not treated right? That is what this is

Since workers compensation benefits are state specific, it depends upon the state. I can only write about my knowledge of California. In California there is a cap on TTD payments, so athletes do not receive any more than that cap (that I am aware of). With PD payments, their injuries are rated just as everyone else's. There is a fund started for injured athletes, however comments have stated it is small in comparison to the number in need. In California you can claim a cumulative trauma, and why many athletes attempt to claim benefits for this state. I do not think they receive any more monetary benefits than any other injured worker, except there may be additional benefits from that fund that has started. Unless they have some other benefits I am not aware of, I don't see how they can receive more benefits than any other injured worker. If anyone else knows different please reply. I am curious.

I understand your frustration, with the spotlight being shown recently on these sports injuries. And you have a valid point, how are they any different? I have watched some horrific interviews from football players who have brain injuries as well as boxers, and what happens to them later in life. It appears they are not being protected enough in their job.

In conclusion, I agree with you, they are no more important than any other person who cannot get out of bed and play with their children due to injury or illness. All patients no matter where they came from should be treated with the same amount of dignity and also receive the same about of medical and monetary compensation.

This statement is for my spouse...Go Redskins!
This statement is for my Dad...Go Blue!
For other "football season widows" like myself (not actual widows just never see your spouse during football season, but can hear them yelling at the t.v).....I feel your pain.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(05-21-2014, 09:30 AM)Manley2 Wrote: Anybody watch the story on the NFL player and pain killers? In general it is about players that had serious injuries and the team doctor gave them pain killers to keep them playing. Sorry there might be some rant in here by me. But any way their lawyer made the statement that there is no amount of money that could compensate these players now for not being able to get out of bed or be able to play with their kids. Sorry about this but why is there a very limited amount of money an injured worker can get for not being able to get out of bed or play with our kids? Now I do know why the laws are written to stop us from getting a real sum of money for our injuries but these are guys that were getting paid millions to play ball. I'm betting some of those players begged to get the meds to keep playing and not lose that income or simply to be able to keep playing. Some of this is not all that different then workers injured on the job. These player were injured on the job and not given the best medical care for the benefit of the employer. Is this different then what happens to us? Why are these guys going to get millions in the end for what is just a work comp injury that was not treated right? That is what this is

I hear you but I beg to differ a bit if I am reading your post correctly.
A player in the NFL is an expensive investment for a team owner. They have to play, especially if they are good, in order to keep revenue up, fans coming and earn their wage. I have heard of many that sat out with injuries and they still get paid.....no matter what. It's in the contract. The whole goal of the team is to get them back on the field- no cost spared.
Some beg for meds, many get meds easily from the team doctor. It's simple. They need to have them play. As a sports professional, they have the very best physicians available to them 24/7. If they tear an ACL, they are in surgery within hours/days and then rehab immediately after.
As far as the normal Joe like you and I, we are worth nothing to WC. The insurance companies are all about saving as much money as they can by denying our needed medical treatment, especially if it is expensive such as surgery. We are ants at the bottom of the crap pile. The longer they can string us along, the more money they save. Dish us out hundreds of dollars of pain meds that make us unable to have any quality of life.....but you see.....that's so much cheaper than treating us right the first time with the appropriate medical treatment so we can get fixed and back to being productive part of society.

Being naive, when I was first injured, I thought ( foolishly) that they would take responsibility and supply the surgery I needed to fix my injury. WRONG!
Never have dealt with workers comp before, I would always "think" that the whole basis would be to get the medical attention to that person and get them back on he payroll. Wouldn't that save money in the long run rather than paying someone years and years of weekly checks and still deny the surgery they needed when they hurt themselves. Makes sense to me. If it's broke; fix it and get that person back to work. Simple.

I just had my rant as well Smile

Blessing and peace to you Smile

I understand why they are different and how they get treatment. And your right the system for us should be once you get hurt they should do what needs done to get you back to normal but we all know it is a money game. In football they need these guys playing and making money for the team but in our world it's like you got hurt now what can we do to save money and not waste it on you. I'm just not sure these guys should be able to sue for millions because what they are suing for is really for pain and suffering, something we can't sue for. Again I'm sure there are guys that didn't understand what their injuries were and how they were being treated for it. But I'm sure there are player that told these doctors to just do what ever to get me back on the field. Not sure any of these player have ever been under the work comp system but they are employees. Yes they have contracts. Just not sure what to think about it. If we get hurt and our employer just gave us more pain meds and sent us back to work and we got hurt more we would still be under the system and would not be able to sue them. These guys make millions and now their career is over and they are in pain and to me just want more money. No not all the player earned these large amounts but I think the guys they are talking about here did.
I will stop because it just gets me mad

(05-21-2014, 12:57 PM)Manley2 Wrote: I understand why they are different and how they get treatment. And your right the system for us should be once you get hurt they should do what needs done to get you back to normal but we all know it is a money game. In football they need these guys playing and making money for the team but in our world it's like you got hurt now what can we do to save money and not waste it on you. I'm just not sure these guys should be able to sue for millions because what they are suing for is really for pain and suffering, something we can't sue for. Again I'm sure there are guys that didn't understand what their injuries were and how they were being treated for it. But I'm sure there are player that told these doctors to just do what ever to get me back on the field. Not sure any of these player have ever been under the work comp system but they are employees. Yes they have contracts. Just not sure what to think about it. If we get hurt and our employer just gave us more pain meds and sent us back to work and we got hurt more we would still be under the system and would not be able to sue them. These guys make millions and now their career is over and they are in pain and to me just want more money. No not all the player earned these large amounts but I think the guys they are talking about here did.
I will stop because it just gets me mad

I am not familiar with ay law suites with the players. There is some info in this link below .There is a fund being developed for them. This story talks about how the NFL attempts to screw the football players out of receiving any benefits, and puts them in situations that can cause them more harm. It states they are being treated worse than any other injured worker would receive.These athletes are getting screwed in many instances. I get your point as other companies place people in harms way all the time, without recourse.

http://daviddepaolo.blogspot.com/2014/05...eness.html

I highly suggest reading this article before judging these athletes. Their employers did things like kept broken legs etc from them, gave them shots and told them to keep playing and they were fine. They also did this with brain injuries, lied about their condition to the players and in many instances caused further debilitating injuries.. If this was done to an employee working anywhere else, I think it would be cause for a law suit as well. These athletes are asking for restitution for being lied to about their injuries, and to stop this from happening again. I think that what was done to them should be criminal. (JMO)

I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

They are not special everyone of us worked also, we cant play with our kids either and we all took meds to keep working so because everyone knows their name they are worth More? You can bet your last dollar they had insurance to cover their buts
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Jayne you are right, to me there are not all that different. Now I'm sure there are cases were they were flat lied to but that is not really all that different then what some of us go thru. If they were told to work or be fined they had a choice then to stand up and say no this is wrong. I think many of them said I want to play so do what ever to get me back on the field and making money. Not allot different then what they have told normal workers like us. We get told these things and some even get more injured because of it but we can't sue anybody.
Now you can say they have paid their doctors to lye so they don't get the right care or told what is really wrong. But how is this really that different then when we get sent to an IME and the doctor writes what the employer wants and then we don't get the right treatment. I don't see things are that different. Well there is one main thing, these players made millions a year. Knew they were playing a dangerous game but wanted the money that went with it. Now that the pay day has stopped because they are too old or injured to play they want millions more.
Take what the advantage injured employee gets and let them have that. We get told to just live on it why can't they? I don't get paid extra so I can pay somebody to do things I should be able to do, like mow the yard, push snow, do repairs around the house, or even just go out to do anything I might have done for fun that I can't now. Let them fight for the care for their injuries just like we do. And then maybe a settlement for lost wages like any other worker would get but no I don't see them suing because they can't play with their kids.

Might have been a little hard in my last post but I just got home from going to my grandsons ball game and was in pain. But then this is the kind of stuff we are talking about. Went to his game so we could say we saw one of his many games this year because it just hurts too much to go to very many of these kinds of things.
Isn't this what these players are sue for? Because now they are having trouble living life like normal. Just like those on WC are having but we can't sue.
This morning on the today show they had some players and it was funny. Matt asked them if there was a team doctor that would get on the bus with them and pass out pills out of a suit case. One player said well it wasn't a suit case but he had pills and we could ask for them. Matt questioned him about him say we asked for them and he said yes we asked for them but they knew we were going to ask. Now I'm not saying the teams didn't help them get hooked or pushed them to use but at what point should anybody stand up and say wait this is wrong. Nothing stopped these guys from seeing other doctors if they didn't think they were getting the right treatment, these guys had the money to pay out of pocket to see anybody.
When I got hurt and reported it I was told to just take it easy, not restriction to not do anything. And even worse I had another person that worked with me on the floor and they were taken away. Now I was the only one on the floor that didn't have a partner to work with and help me do the job. After complaining things were not getting better for me they said I could come to the medical department twice a day and get heat on my back to see if that would help. Still complaining of pain it was a month before they let me see the company doctor. Who still didn't restrict my work but only ordered me to get a home PT exercises to see if that might help. It was not until I stated this was not helping at all and asked for something more to be done did I get any real help. At this point their doctor said it was only a back strain and if I really felt like I needed more that I would have to see my own doctor. My doctor was the first to even order an x-ray of my back to see if anything was wrong. Injured in Nov I got my first x-ray in March.

Sorry for the rant but it gets me boiling. I'm not saying these guys were don't miss treated but I don't feel it is any different the the miss treatment we get. They only reason they can do anything is because they can pay lawyer millions to take on the case.

I dont know anyone elses day but mine....No one wakes me in the morning unless they have too,everyone knows I roam the house some nights walking off leg cramps and doing my best to keep from over medicating myself.Within an hour of being up I am reaching for advil hopeing it will calm down the aches in my joints within an hour of that I am reaching for the hard stuff,I very seldom cry anymore it doesnt change a damn thing and its me agaisnt the pain.Now that summer is here I am hoping the pool will help but having trouble getting the chems right as its hot one day cold the next and then it rains and plays hell with the chems...I cook on good days bad days someone else does...I cant boat with the kids or do any sitting to watch any thing I do have a cushy lounge chair that goes in the back of the truck for time at the lake or drive in...Thank God we ave a drive in or the kids would never go see a movie....my days are all the same some just a bit more painful than the others....Just a question do you think if I went to the doc and asked for one pain free day it would be posiable?without knocking me out?
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

A pain free day would be one where the doctor knocked me out at midnight and didn't wake me until 24 hours later. I do wonder about the pain meds and the effects after a long time. I think this is some of what these guys are talking about but we just have to deal with it.
Now the news tonight did talk with a former player that said I don't care about the money, I make more now then when I played. If my case would settle the way they wanted I would be making about 15% of what I did if I was working