Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats after MMI
First post for me.
I got hurt at work, Lower back with nerve pains, MRI shows a lot of old damage, Spinal stenosis, DDD, 4 bulging disc, Facet hyperthrophy. This condition is in all of lower back L-1/S1. I have been a pipe fitter for thirty years, been in great shape until the fall, I have lower back and right leg pain. I was offered a job sitting in the office and drawing full pay to stay off WC checks. I had a EMG that was negative for nerve pain. Back doctor has referred me to pain management. They are requesting from IC to do nerve blocks on my Facet joints to stop the pain. (I'm not sure how they know that's the sources of the pain) but anything to help is wanted.

I have never lost pay, I'm sitting in an empty office doing nothing but waiting on a cure to my nerve pain. On the days it flares up I stay home, and if the pain gets bad at work I go home or lay on the floor with meds and TENS unit. this helps more often then not.

Injury was 8 mo. ago

After MMI do I Continue to return here and sit? in my light duty job until they fire me or lay me off?

I go for MMI in 3 days IC requested DD.

My goal is to return to work. I'm 50 and can retire @ 55

whether the employer will make the light duty permanent or not is up to them. comp law does not require they create a job for you.
like any other job with the employer it can be terminated at any time. if you are in an "at will" state neither you or the employer has to provide a reason for terminating the employment.
the laws governing workers comp rights and benefit are state specific and more detailed information cannot be provided without knowing your state.
http://www.workerscompensation.com/forum...?tid=10146

if your employment is covered by FMLA you have up to 12 weeks of job protection.
more on FMLA here
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/p...fmlaen.pdf
under ADA they are required to discuss reasonable accommadation
http://www.ada.gov/
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(05-12-2014, 11:33 AM)1171 Wrote: whether the employer will make the light duty permanent or not is up to them. comp law does not require they create a job for you.
like any other job with the employer it can be terminated at any time. if you are in an "at will" state neither you or the employer has to provide a reason for terminating the employment.
the laws governing workers comp rights and benefit are state specific and more detailed information cannot be provided without knowing your state.

if your employment is covered by FMLA you have up to 12 weeks of job protection.
more on FMLA here

Texas,

If I appeal the MMI I assume I don't get a check during the appeals process? Can I draw unemployment because of layoff? After working 30 years how can things just fall apart so fast? I went from being at the top of my game to the bottom with a slip into a ditch. 10 seconds to a disaster.

I have never been unemployed, never expected to be. this is like a nightmare.

I just need injection to stop the pain then I can resume my carrier.

My personal insurance will not touch it until WC drops me. I guess I can loss everything I have and start over once I'm fixed up and back to work.

I was told to apply for SSDI but I'm not done living yet. That would be such a pay cut.. Working is were the money is.

unemployment requires that you look for and be able to accept employment someplace else.
serious injuries/health issues significantly impact everyday living for many, many people.
an auto accident, cancer, paralysis, can't be predicted or expected and abruptly changes a person's future.
just because you underestimated the significance of your back condition doesn't mean it can't be just as devastating as living with cancer.
your expectations have little effect on reality and how much risk each person is exposed to.

if you want to change doctors or get a second opinion on treatment options you need to request it.

SSDI is not for those looking to die shortly; it's for those who are projected to be unable to work for a year or more. you should check it out
http://www.ssas.com/common-disability-questions/
http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm

dealing with the emotional fallout of a life-changing condition can be extremely difficult. many react with anger, frustration, finding blame and fault, etc. all can be signs of depression.
if you need help, ask your doctor for a referral for counseling. adding chronic depression to your symptomology will be a substantial setback to your recovery.

more information on Texas workers comp benefits
http://www.tdi.texas.gov/wc/indexwc.html
http://www.oiec.texas.gov/
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(05-12-2014, 12:12 PM)Account details Wrote:
(05-12-2014, 11:33 AM)1171 Wrote: whether the employer will make the light duty permanent or not is up to them. comp law does not require they create a job for you.

more on FMLA here

Texas,

If I appeal the MMI I assume I don't get a check during the appeals process? Can I draw unemployment because of layoff? After working 30 years how can things just fall apart so fast? I went from being at the top of my game to the bottom with a slip into a ditch. 10 seconds to a disaster.

I have never been unemployed, never expected to be. this is like a nightmare.

I just need injection to stop the pain then I can resume my carrier.

My personal insurance will not touch it until WC drops me. I guess I can loss everything I have and start over once I'm fixed up and back to work.

I was told to apply for SSDI but I'm not done living yet. That would be such a pay cut.. Working is were the money is.

I didn't mean for the SSDI comment to sound like it did, What I mean is I love my work, It does not have to be this company, I love my trade. I'm a workaholic. work is 50% of my social life, church is the other.
I had ratter work than to sit at home for a year or longer. I don't know what it pays but it can't be close to what I make. So sitting at home broke is not what I would like to do. lol

Sorry I came off sounding mad, I have been reading these post for weeks now, and was looking for info on what is going to happen next.

I'm not sure about looking for other jobs outside of my union trade. unemployment does not require me to look for work other places, I thought about security work, I'm getting good at sitting...but I don't think it will pay the bills... my wife has been unemployed for 3 years she can find a job in her field so I have being the only bread winner in my family.

Ok
Feel better

Welcome Account,

We completely understand your feelings, It is a hard one to swallow when our lives change because of injuries. Just remember, its not your fault. I was injured back in 2007 multi injuries from a auto accident while working. I was there almost 20 years and like you I also was the money maker and never called in sick the whole time I was employed and within seconds my life changed. I was left in a wheel chair for awhile until I was healed enough to get pt andhad to learn how to use my leg again. From the beginning many people told me to start the ssdi process, and like you I thought the same thing. I proved my dr's and lawyer wrong and within a year I was back to work full time. I lasted until 2010 when I reinjured my self and the drs said no more. Even after all this my attorney kept me from applying for ssdi, 6 months later wc shut me off and quit paying for everything. I then went against my lawyers decision and started the ssdi process and until this day I am still fighting. If I would have listened to the advice from members here and did it right away I wouldn't be in the financial ruins that we are in..

If I would have known then what I know now I would have tried for ssdi right away. Wc is not a path I would want to do over, I am 100% disabled from the state and settled last aug. As far as the injections (nerve blocks) they use these as a tool to diag you pain generator to see where its coming from. I have had atleast 18 in my low back and some gave great relif but they were short lived. I hope they help for you and get you back to working at some point.

Welcome but sorry you have to be here. It can be a hard thing to deal with then things like this happen. Being on WC can really hurt the pay check so you have been luck they have been paying you during this.
One thing I can say is don't expect a shot to fix your back problems so you can return to regular work. Now it could help it is hard to say with a back injury. I was a pipefitter until I got laid off back in 89 and had to find other work and after paying my dues for another 6 or 7 years with no job I drop my card.
I have a back injury and they tried all the little things like PT and shots. Now I have a SCS to help with the pain and get RF treatments around every 9 months to a year and more then likely the rest of my life.

Not sure why they are wanting to get you ruled MMI unless they are seeing things from your doctor that is going to cost them money and they just want to get you out of there. If you want to get better MMI is not what you want. Understand this means you are good as you are going to get.
I think when you say you don't have to look for work you mean that because you are part of the union and they are a hiring hall. Well if you can't do piperfitting I'm not sure that will work. If you file for unemployment and you can't be a pipefitter you may have to look for other work. Just want you to think about things and fully understand what you need to be thinking about and what you need to be doing. It sounds like you will need more treatment and remember if you settle your case private insurance will not cover an injury you settled on

(05-12-2014, 08:04 PM)Manley2 Wrote: Welcome but sorry you have to be here. It can be a hard thing to deal with then things like this happen. Being on WC can really hurt the pay check so you have been luck they have been paying you during this.
One thing I can say is don't expect a shot to fix your back problems so you can return to regular work. Now it could help it is hard to say with a back injury. I was a pipefitter until I got laid off back in 89 and had to find other work and after paying my dues for another 6 or 7 years with no job I drop my card.
I have a back injury and they tried all the little things like PT and shots. Now I have a SCS to help with the pain and get RF treatments around every 9 months to a year and more then likely the rest of my life.

Not sure why they are wanting to get you ruled MMI unless they are seeing things from your doctor that is going to cost them money and they just want to get you out of there. If you want to get better MMI is not what you want. Understand this means you are good as you are going to get.
I think when you say you don't have to look for work you mean that because you are part of the union and they are a hiring hall. Well if you can't do piperfitting I'm not sure that will work. If you file for unemployment and you can't be a pipefitter you may have to look for other work. Just want you to think about things and fully understand what you need to be thinking about and what you need to be doing. It sounds like you will need more treatment and [undefined=undefined]remember if you settle your case private insurance will not cover an injury you settled on[/undefined]
This is not always true. I settled with a MSA. If my medicare setaside runs out during the year or I finally exhaust my MSA, my private insurance picks up the tab.

Surely the OP is not settling without a MSA or open medical. That would be a situation where his private insurance would not pay for his work related injury.

I am on SSDI but I only take out Medicare part A because I have private insurance thru my wife's employer. Its MSA first, then Private insurance second. That is how it works for me until I reach age 66 then I will have to use Medicare as the secondary payor.
Had a car wreck in 2003 while on the job. Settled in Jan. 2012 with Indemnity pay and a MSA. Approved for SSDI in March 2006. Was declared PTD at IME in 2009. Took approx 3 years to finalize the WC settlement. ALWAYS use spread language when settling Indemnity or SSA will nail your fanny.

It might not have sounded right. Yes you are right once MSA runs out they should cover it, just make sure you have used it right.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  have anyone ever had a broken c6???? I wanna know whats in store for me??? alvinf478 1 2,694 02-11-2015, 01:31 AM
Last Post: 1171
  whats next after my MMI preframe 3 5,219 04-18-2014, 02:43 PM
  crps/ wc whats gonna happen midget 6 8,191 01-27-2014, 01:36 PM
  whats best, permanent rating or continued therapy constantpain 7 8,006 01-26-2013, 11:19 PM
  Whats a Final report? lizdawiz82 2 5,364 09-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Last Post: brushhog
  whats happening to me Steveo190 5 6,802 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM
  Ca whats next lizsurfgal 4 6,008 01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Last Post: lizsurfgal
  whats is this money for?? inpainokla 2 5,522 11-24-2009, 12:14 PM
  Whats Next Cervical_Fusion 4 4,589 11-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  Whats next. autogirl 10 8,461 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM