Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoulder surgery
Yes. I work for a ny school, so it's a state job and pension. I'm worried about losing it now.

I worked as an early childhood teacher for 10 yrs. prior to my injury.

The teaching profession is a extremely physically demanding profession.

My employer required I return to my job with no restrictions which I was unable to do and resulted in the loss of my job.

Good luck!

if your work restrictions exceed the required job duties and your protection ends after a year then you would not have re-instatement rights.
ADA does require that the employer discuss reasonable accommodation with the disabled employee.
the best resource for this issue is your union and the terms of the bargaining contract in effect for you and your position.
get a copy and review the job protection provisions.
new york provides vocational rehabilitation for those whose permanent restrictions prevent return to their usual occupation.
consider applying for SSDI if you have not already done so.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Update- I had surgery again August 26 arthroscopy, lysis removal and manipulation. Started feeling better. Begged dr to put me on light duty 9/17 gave note to work and was told we can't accept this either be back unrestricted by October 17 or terminated. See my dr again and it is getting worse, scheduled for another Mri, they think I still have foreign body in bicep tendon and dr wants to do another procedure. Got second opinion and dr said same. Meanwhile my treating dr put me back on full disability but my workers comp insurance company wants to lower my pay 50%. I go for mri this week. What can I do, I lost my job I was looking for a brief period for work but everything I know how to do I need to be able,to lift, push, pull. Now that I am terminated can I apply form unemployment or maybe Ssdi? I really don't know what is happening. I justnwantnto be able to go back to work and have a,damn life again. It's been over a year only getting 2/3'of my pay and my savings is dry and now they want to lower it more. I feel,like I got the short end here.

demanding unrestricted medical release is against ADA law. you should look into filing a complaint.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...64502.html

http://www.ada.gov/
you can apply for unemployment if you are willing and able to accept work.
you are eligible for SSDI if you will be disabled for a year.
you may benefit from legal representation.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shoulder surgery CANurse 3 346 04-28-2019, 01:08 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  ACDF AND SHOULDER SURGERY NevadaCervical 4567 4 8,775 01-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Last Post: NevadaCervical 4567
  Shoulder Surgery on WC CALIF Debbysue64 8 11,801 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Last Post: LeglEgl
  second shoulder surgery with new c6 c7 fusion Mseries 4 6,917 08-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Shoulder Injury Surgery denied 4104ever 5 16,274 07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Last Post: kate
  Nerve block for shoulder surgery? NVworker 6 36,789 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Last Post: leazdad
  Shoulder Surgery 5 mos. Ago, Now Severe Elbow Pain krl 25 38,705 11-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Last Post: 1171
Sad Lft Shoulder Surgery Confused2010 11 12,626 08-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Shoulder question and TTD before having surgery??? NVworker 10 12,057 03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Last Post: NVworker
  Shoulder surgery peeps djkics 1 4,120 02-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Last Post: Pooh