Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attorneys seem to be pushing Settlement.
Hey all,

I'm very frustrated confused and angry. I got hurt on the job and my employer didn't submit any claims, almost a month after the original injury i was in the hospital due to an infection where the injury occurred. I have been since told I have MRSA as a direct result from the injury. For the rest of my life I will forever be infected with this ridiculous thing. Anytime for the rest of my life if I have any kind of opened wound I have a very high % chance of getting it to activate and infect which ultimately can kill me.

I hired these attorneys who said that they are pushing for court... well last night, they called and said the Insurance company wants to settle out of court. This situation started April 2013 and it has been recommended that I have a surgery on my injured part (foot) to fix a Neuroma and Planters Facitius problem that have since occured due to the way i had to change walking and what not. I can't walk for long periods of time Lucky to pull of 30 mins with minimal pain. I've been skimping on my pain medicines since I don't want to wreck my stomach, and I saw an orthopedic surgeon who put me in a Night splint and a Daytime Walking Boot since i'm a college student. I'm 31 years old and my future has been destroyed because of this.

My attorney said they have calculated lossed wages at 12,000 since april 2013 based on the percents. but now they want to settle out of court. I keep going back over this in my head and I'm spinning like a top. They told me to come up with a reasonable figure that I would accept, they will also try to come up with something reasonable and we will put it before the WC company.

My problem is ... IF i have any kind of surgery or open wound of any sort or break in the skin (even from an IV or Immunization), I have a high % of getting a MRSA infection in that area, IF i do get an infection I could DIE.

As i get older, my immune system will weaken, when that happens the infections are more likely to happen thus bringing death quicker. I can't even begin to put into words or numbers what my future is worth! Can someone please help me with this.. i have no idea what i am to be doing and I don't want to settle if it's going to screw me in the future.

Thx,

One thing you better understand real quick to the insurance company you are a number.You are costing them money and they want to get off as cheap as possible.MRSA is bad but is it the jobs fault or the hospitals fault? Both of them is gonna blame it on one another.Your future is your problem not theirs and they will spend a fortune in Paid Drs and lawyers to try and starve you out.
Bronco also got MRSA I believe and he just finally settled He may be able to let you know how the MRSA played in the settlement.
Easier to answer if we have a state and the injury.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

you should let your attys know that you are going ahead with surgery to your foot and you'll discuss settlement afterward when you know more about your long term medical condition.
if you are not getting the information or support from your attys, you can switch at any time; the fee will be shared.
generally attys are focused on settlements and not about going into a long war in court to obtain benefits.
in comp atty fees are smaller and based on settlement amount not how much time they put in. the best result for them is a quick settlements and many cases.
if you talk to other attys let them know your priority is benefits and not settlement.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(01-23-2014, 01:57 PM)Jahlil0712 Wrote: Hey all,

I'm very frustrated confused and angry. I got hurt on the job and my employer didn't submit any claims, almost a month after the original injury i was in the hospital due to an infection where the injury occurred. I have been since told I have MRSA as a direct result from the injury. For the rest of my life I will forever be infected with this ridiculous thing. Anytime for the rest of my life if I have any kind of opened wound I have a very high % chance of getting it to activate and infect which ultimately can kill me.

I hired these attorneys who said that they are pushing for court... well last night, they called and said the Insurance company wants to settle out of court. This situation started April 2013 and it has been recommended that I have a surgery on my injured part (foot) to fix a Neuroma and Planters Facitius problem that have since occured due to the way i had to change walking and what not. I can't walk for long periods of time Lucky to pull of 30 mins with minimal pain. I've been skimping on my pain medicines since I don't want to wreck my stomach, and I saw an orthopedic surgeon who put me in a Night splint and a Daytime Walking Boot since i'm a college student. I'm 31 years old and my future has been destroyed because of this.

My attorney said they have calculated lossed wages at 12,000 since april 2013 based on the percents. but now they want to settle out of court. I keep going back over this in my head and I'm spinning like a top. They told me to come up with a reasonable figure that I would accept, they will also try to come up with something reasonable and we will put it before the WC company.

My problem is ... IF i have any kind of surgery or open wound of any sort or break in the skin (even from an IV or Immunization), I have a high % of getting a MRSA infection in that area, IF i do get an infection I could DIE.

As i get older, my immune system will weaken, when that happens the infections are more likely to happen thus bringing death quicker. I can't even begin to put into words or numbers what my future is worth! Can someone please help me with this.. i have no idea what i am to be doing and I don't want to settle if it's going to screw me in the future.

Thx,

First off I want to say mrsa is a scary thing, but everyone carries it. I received mrsa through a chest tube put in by the emt's , by the time the hospital figured it out it went septic through my blood. It took a long time of treatment (vancomiaxin iv) before it came clear. Yes we do have the risk of infections over the simplest scratches, cuts, bug bites e.t.c. I am on doxycycline 2x day for life because of it. No money in settlement for it, just open medical in case something would arise. It is way to hard to prove mrsa problems, but make sure its documented if the problem would arise.

Being an EMT for 30 years I'm a carrier of MRSA. Most health care people are they just don't test for it to know. I would have not know but when I went in with chest pains they needed to put me in ICU and because of the that they tested me

Since my injury when I caught it, when I was getting injections they would put me last as a precautionary step. I have been hospitalized for different reasons and its neat once they find out the mrsa thing. They leave my room for about 10 min and when they come back they put a sign on my door (MRSA INFECTED), then the plastic robes they come in...........lol. Atleast I will always have a private room.. My last stay over a week ago I got my third swab, came back negative so it will be interesting to see if they keep me in isolation in the future. I believe they will just because of safety reasons.

I ended up walking seriously jacked up roads in company approved footwear and holes opened up on the balls of my feet. My employers never filed the claim like they were supposed to, and I'm in South Carolina. The original injury is gone, the infection is dormant but I keep getting random lesions I never had before and keep getting them checked just in case. I need nerves removed from my foot but my doctor won't do it because he isn't getting paid yet and the court case is still open. They said I would have to come up with a lot up front. I have people telling me that because it's my foot and I have to wear a brace to sleep and one to walk to ease the neuroma pain that it will be a life long process with gambles.

who is "they" that want "a lot" up front?
work comp attys are not allowed to be paid outside of any settlement and fees have to be approved by the judge.
you need to discuss your case with an experienced work comp atty
http://www.avvo.com/free-legal-advice/Wo...h+carolina
https://www.wilg.org/index.cfm?pg=publicdirectory
http://www.scbar.org/PublicServices/FindaLawyer.aspx
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

1. Doctors want paid upfront for surgery
2. WC has denied all claims up to this point
3. Had a deposition a few months back
4. Court hearing is Tuesday before the commissioner
5. WC attorney wants to settle.
6. My WC attorney wants me to help come up with $$ amount I'll settle for
7. No idea how to come to that conclusion
8. Pain is chronic. Nerve damage is permanent. Unless surgery is done.
9. IF surgery is done I have a 90% chance of MRSA coming back because where surgery has to be done is where original infection was.
10. It will only get worse with age and they can't give me a % rating because treatment is not over yet (possibly).

If you are still looking at treatments that could improve your condition I don't see why anybody but the carrier would want to settle. Now your lawyer could be just wanting some quick money and get out fast but to me I would not even want to talk about a settlement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  attorney pushing to settle/threatened to dismiss me (CA) ANS_CA 18 1,359 08-09-2019, 09:37 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  IMR Applications and Attorneys responsibility Shadow 18 5,588 12-24-2017, 01:10 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  skeptical about my settlement ' the insurance company pushing for a settlement.. alvinf478 3 2,934 09-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Attorneys upset that I applied for SSDI 7on7off 36 15,015 07-16-2014, 12:01 AM
  Settlement? 4% Permanent Disability due to WC pushing out surgery (Florida) WCMessedMeUp 5 30,915 07-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Last Post: WCMessedMeUp
  Should I settle...they are pushing since last summer! FrankenNeck 34 31,884 04-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Last Post: jayc123
  not ready for qme attorneys says i cant reschedual riptorn 5 7,020 03-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Attorneys tkl1126 0 2,504 03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Last Post: tkl1126
  mpn docs or attorneys choice? curley2 22 16,257 11-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Question Attorneys fee amh711 3 4,315 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy