Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Injured on job, dodgy employer. WC or STD
I work for an appliance installation company in California. I injured my knee while moving and installing a very heavy appliance. I had one other guy helping me, but we did not have the proper equipment to move the appliance. While moving it through a doorway, I ended up supporting a great deal of it's weight, and twisted my knee pretty bad.

I reported the incident that day to the dispatcher. I was pretty pissed that they scheduled this job on a day when there wouldn't be any moving equipment available, but was also concerned that the injury was more serious than the normal aches. I was told to ice it and let them know how it felt in the morning.

It still hurt the next day. The owners became aware a few days after, as I was asking for light duty work, and it started looking like a proper workman's comp claim. They still put me on heavy lifting jobs though, it's a majority of the work we do.

After about a week or two, I get a call from the owners. Basically, they are trying to convince me to just get under their insurance plan, and to go to the doctor and say the injury was on my own time. I was told that it would take a very long time to get taken care of with workman's comp, and that going through state disability and insurance would be much better. I just want my to be taken care of, so I mostly agree, but it seems VERY dodgy to me. I have also only been in California for 5 months, but I've been working for the same company that entire time. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the qualifications for state disability.

I am in my early 30's and have gone my whole life with nearly zero legal representation, so I have no idea on how to go about getting the best outcome from this ordeal.

sounds like they are illegally uninsured for workers comp.
If you go along it means you have to falsify how the injury occurred to both the doctor and state disability.
you can be terminated and lose your health insurance any time and then you'll be out in the cold.
trying to get comp after lying about the injury will be difficult.

do they have work comp coverage posted?
you can also check here
https://www.caworkcompcoverage.com/

if the employer won't file contact the carrier directly.
if they don't have comp coverage contact the I&A officer for help filing
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/IandA.html

more information on filing against an uninsured employer(fact sheet F):
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/iwguides.html
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Boy howdy something smells fishy....Do not ever lie to anyone involving a work injury, all that will get you is bit in the behind.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Your best bet is to get this filed and explain why you lied when you first got treated. And pray. As jayne said lying to WC will only be trouble and you sound like you really are going to need some medical care. Bad part is WC doesn't like to pay the bills in the first place and now they are really not going to want to do it. Hope this will work out for you.

Thanks for all the responses.

@1171, I searched for the company on the website you provided. Their name comes up in the search box 3 times, with the same spelling and all, but nothing comes up in the actual search. I'm a little confused about what I am actually searching for. Should the date coincide with the injury? Does an empty result mean they are absolutely uninsured. That seems very risky and unbelievable that they would be without some sort of coverage, or is that common?

if there is a policy record on file covering the date input, it should list the Employer name as well as the city and state after you click the submit button.
you want coverage for the date of your injury.
their name maybe in the database but the coverage period does not coincide with your injury date.
there are few absolutes in this world but you should assume if the search returns no listing there is no coverage for your claim and it'll be up to them to prove otherwise
the labor commissioners office can do a more through search and take your information

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/DistrictOffices.htm

report a violation here
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToReportVi...toBOFE.htm

yes, it's more common among smaller employers.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Ohy my Gosh! No. You must report your injury right away and immediately go to a doctor. The longer you wait the harder it is to prove the injury was caused by work.

Your employer is looking to cover your medical benefits but not lost wages. If your injury gets worse you could be without income. And, who's going to pay for the medical benefits? You will, out of your wages....... If you report the injury they must.

Further, what they are doing in telling you not to file is highly illegal.

(11-07-2013, 03:45 PM)nuzenith Wrote: I work for an appliance installation company in California. I injured my knee while moving and installing a very heavy appliance. I had one other guy helping me, but we did not have the proper equipment to move the appliance. While moving it through a doorway, I ended up supporting a great deal of it's weight, and twisted my knee pretty bad.

I reported the incident that day to the dispatcher. I was pretty pissed that they scheduled this job on a day when there wouldn't be any moving equipment available, but was also concerned that the injury was more serious than the normal aches. I was told to ice it and let them know how it felt in the morning.

It still hurt the next day. The owners became aware a few days after, as I was asking for light duty work, and it started looking like a proper workman's comp claim. They still put me on heavy lifting jobs though, it's a majority of the work we do.

After about a week or two, I get a call from the owners. Basically, they are trying to convince me to just get under their insurance plan, and to go to the doctor and say the injury was on my own time. I was told that it would take a very long time to get taken care of with workman's comp, and that going through state disability and insurance would be much better. I just want my to be taken care of, so I mostly agree, but it seems VERY dodgy to me. I have also only been in California for 5 months, but I've been working for the same company that entire time. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the qualifications for state disability.

I am in my early 30's and have gone my whole life with nearly zero legal representation, so I have no idea on how to go about getting the best outcome from this ordeal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EVERY INJURED ENTITLED TO "REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION" BY THEIR EMPLOYER.... 1171 11 16,920 10-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Last Post: 1171