Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fired while on workman comp in New york city
On February 12, 2012, I was hurt on the job, lacerating my right hand pinky finger. I was taken to the E.R. were Dr. ,,,,, performed micro surgery to reattach the tendon. About a week later, during the night, my tendon broke again, therefore, resulting in another surgery to reattach it. I was prescribed hand therapy 3x a week, and follow-up doctor visits every 3 to 4 weeks.
On July 2, 2012, I was able to return to work with full capabilities. I then developed carpal tunnel and 2 trigger fingers on right hand due to scar build up from previous surgery. On Nov. 29 the surgeon scheduled these surgeries at the same time to correct the problems. The doctor's note stated that I would be able to return to work with full duties, by the end of January 2013. I was terminated January 9, 2013 for having exhausted my days of family leave.
When I first got hurt, my employer mailed me a folder of papers to sign, “FMLA” , telling me that Worker’s compensation and FMLA work together, one pays for your days out, and the other guarantees your job. I called them before I signed to remind them that this had nothing to do with me being “sick” I got hurt on the job and would not apply to me, but they told me to sign and send them in ASAP and I did. I believe I was wrongly terminated, due to the emergency and the type of surgeries that I had. Is this right what they did to me?? Please Help me.

FMLA will only hold your job for so long. Being off work because of and injury does not protect your job. If you are union they might have been able to help if you spoke with when it happened. This happened 9 months ago, what has been going on since you were let go?

Your belief is incorrect.
New York law does not require the employer to hold/create a job for you longer then that covered by FMLA provisions- 12 weeks.
you can file a discrimination complaint if you have evidence that you were fired in retaliation for filing a comp claim.
As manley posted you might have some additional rights if you were working under a collective bargaining agreement or union contract.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I have to disagree with others. If you were working in November, than you have a fresh incidence of FMLA. Therefore, you had not exhausted your 12 week FMLA limitation in January 2013. There is some indication, even if you had not filed a new FMLA form for each return to work and then subsequent absence, that the employer was aware of the problem, since, obviously, it was work related.

Contact the Department of Labor and file a complaint. It won't do any good unless they have violated FMLA for others, but a public record will hurt them in the long run and you owe this to other injured workers.

Make sure to note your circumstances and that this was a work placed injury. While they are not required to hold your job, and want to get rid of you because you are likely to develop ongoing injuries (and their hope is you will get a job with someone else so they can grab the next employer and loop them into some type of liability), the fact that the employer did not hold the job should justify a greater degree of disability or at least an argument that they didn't believe you could do your current job with your limitations.

It is my understanding that New York never, with the emphasis on never, prosecutes employers for terminating WC injured workers. New York Workers Compensation is notoriously corrupt, so take it from me, having gone down this road, it is a waste of time to file with WC for wrongful termination.

You could however, file an EEOC complaint and allege that your company fired you due to knowledge of your disability. Just a thought. Given the closeness of the alleged FMLA cutoff and your return to work, this looks highly likely.

(10-09-2013, 07:44 PM)olimpiot Wrote: On February 12, 2012, I was hurt on the job, lacerating my right hand pinky finger. I was taken to the E.R. were Dr. ,,,,, performed micro surgery to reattach the tendon. About a week later, during the night, my tendon broke again, therefore, resulting in another surgery to reattach it. I was prescribed hand therapy 3x a week, and follow-up doctor visits every 3 to 4 weeks.
On July 2, 2012, I was able to return to work with full capabilities. I then developed carpal tunnel and 2 trigger fingers on right hand due to scar build up from previous surgery. On Nov. 29 the surgeon scheduled these surgeries at the same time to correct the problems. The doctor's note stated that I would be able to return to work with full duties, by the end of January 2013. I was terminated January 9, 2013 for having exhausted my days of family leave.
When I first got hurt, my employer mailed me a folder of papers to sign, “FMLA” , telling me that Worker’s compensation and FMLA work together, one pays for your days out, and the other guarantees your job. I called them before I signed to remind them that this had nothing to do with me being “sick” I got hurt on the job and would not apply to me, but they told me to sign and send them in ASAP and I did. I believe I was wrongly terminated, due to the emergency and the type of surgeries that I had. Is this right what they did to me?? Please Help me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Workman’s comp laws in Hawaii Me in Hawaii 1 668 10-26-2019, 11:26 AM
Last Post: 1171
  CA PD offer by City Boyington214 6 1,154 10-01-2019, 07:08 PM
  Do I have to payback Overpayment of Workman’s comp Calif. anitahenry24 1 1,348 02-25-2019, 03:46 PM
  New York Injured Workers - Urgent - Please Read ChimarenTaylor 10 11,076 01-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Last Post: tbear6410
  City Ignoring Dr. Restrictions Bubbablue 3 1,115 07-16-2018, 12:01 AM
Sad Questions about workman’s comp Lifeupsidedown 2 1,656 01-06-2018, 05:33 PM
  Does my workers comp case close if I'm fired with cause? Kaii23 7 5,246 09-13-2017, 08:01 AM
Last Post: dusty boy
  Question from New York state. Mustang229 7 3,336 03-20-2017, 05:20 PM
  New York Help Orazio 1 1,862 02-16-2017, 12:16 AM
  Help New York Osok 1 2,580 03-26-2015, 10:47 PM