Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Returning to work
Hello,
I live in Illinois. I work as a salaried manager in a restaurant, and over the course of 9 years, I got carpal tunnel. At the first signs pain, I saw my personal doctor, who informed me it was carpal tunnel and referred me to a hand surgeon, I just needed a claim number from workman's comp to make the appointment. The person above me refused to call in the claim, and after a week, I made the claim myself, because as a salaried member of management, I was authorized. The surgeon put me on restrictions, which work refused to follow, so I worked full duty for a month and a half, causing the carpal tunnel to go from mild to severe, which forced the doctor so put my status as no work. The workman's comp insurance dragged the process out for months, and now, almost 7 months later, after two surgeries and 2 months of occupational therapy I just got released at MMI today. I called my employer,ready to go back to my salaried 50 hour work week, and they are not sure when they can get me back on the schedule full time, or they can give me a few hours at an hourly rate. Is there anything I can do about this?

ADA laws require that they discuss reasonable accommodation. if they don't you can file a complaint.
more on ADA here
http://www.ada.gov/

I think if you insist they make decision it will be unfavorable to you but at least you'll have a clear answer.

the employer certainly has no obligation to hold a job for you beyond the FMLA requirement of 12 weeks or to create a job that goes beyond reasonable accommodation.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

in other words if you force their hand they will most likely let you go.In most states there are no laws on the books where they have to put you back to work.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Thanks for the replies.
That's what I was afraid of. What about unemployment. I was working 50+ hours a week before my injury. Right now they are saying they only have 15 hours. Can I collect unemployment?

yes, since your condition is at MMI you are eligible for unemployment.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Thank you. Perhaps if I tell them I will be seeking unemployment, they will be more inclined to give me my hours.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NY - Fired after returning to work from WC otmne 2 2,209 03-31-2017, 07:44 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Returning to work. MI Worker 3 2,255 02-08-2017, 04:06 PM
  Returning to work after WC, what to put on resume? Sinistrasza 6 6,991 05-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Proper Procedure for Returning to Work DownbutNotOut 2 2,565 09-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  returning to work with 34 less hours, can I get another job while working this one mart 1 3,097 01-27-2015, 03:41 AM
Exclamation returning to work dsj9540 3 4,235 10-28-2013, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bronco54501
MyBB Returning to work after settlement. lizdawiz82 10 26,433 12-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Question about returning to work too soon kozer1 3 5,532 02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Last Post: LeglEgl
  How long must an employer keep me employed after returning to work? (California) christiev 3 9,612 02-01-2012, 01:00 AM
  Quiting after returning to work? H.A.R 1 4,268 07-16-2011, 10:34 AM