Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cost of total knee replacement
Hi everyone, knowledge is power. First of all. I do NOT know if there will be a settlement, second, I know that IF there was a settlement , the cost of medical will not be near the actual cost. Okay, that being said, I have looked everywhere on the Internet to get some idea of the cost that would be acquired if I had a TKR . ( hospital stay, pt etc..) you MUST do your homework because hypothetically, IF a settlement was offered, ( I know I keep emphasizing IF, because there are a few posters that love to remind us that settlements are NOT guarantee by any means)they can say a TKR costs $10,000. If you have not done your homework you are apt to say "ok". So bottom line, can anyone guide me where to look please. This is in sunny California. Thank you.

There is no fixed global fee.
Different hospitals charge different amounts per day.
Different doctors, assistant surgeons, anesthetists, etc. charge different amounts.
There is a fee schedule here
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/MedicalUnit/imchp.html
But you have to know how to use it

Talk to your physician.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Treeburn it is best to have that knee replacement done and all medical treatment completed before you talk settlement.

That was the advice given to me by long time fourm member Bad Boy.

Another side of this is the rating will be higher after a knee replacement is done.

After the knee replacement my combine rating was 92.5%. Keep in mind that is for the bilateral knees, lumbar spine, and bilateral carpal tunnel.

If I had been rated before the knee replacement I would have been looking at 10-15%. I live in Kansas and the 4th edition of the AMA guidelines were used at the time I settled.

As for the cost of a total knee replacement, I was given the figure of $80,000. to $100,00. for surgery and rehab., this was back in 2008.

(08-25-2013, 03:36 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: Treeburn it is best to have that knee replacement done and all medical treatment completed before you talk settlement.

Another side of this is the rating will be higher after a knee replacement is done.

After the knee replacement my combine rating was 92.5%. Keep in mind that is for the bilateral knees, lumbar spine, and bilateral carpal tunnel.

If I had been rated before the knee replacement I would have been looking at 10-15%. I live in Kansas and the 4th edition of the AMA guidelines were used at the time I settled.

As for the cost of a total knee replacement, I was given the figure of $80,000. to $100,00. for surgery and rehab., this was back in 2008.
Thank ou. Sadly financially I have to get some sort of job. Physically I could not handle another surgery so soon. I have had 6 in less than 15 months. I cannot wait another 1-3 years. I don't want to start a job and then have a TKR. Remember my right knee has had 9 surgeries and three torn acl,s. sooo......

Well you beat me with the number of knee surgeries.

To get my TKR surgery paid by work comp a doctor had to say it was related to the work injury.

I saw a total of 13 doctors on that knee. All but the work comp doctor said I needed the surgery and the injury was the cause per the need of the TKR.

Due to the work comp doctor saying the need for the replacement was not related I ended up going to court. Fortunately the judge ruled in my favor and work comp paid for the knee replacement. Still it took 3 years in court before medical treatment was awarded.

quote='Treeburn' pid='153062' dateline='1377468157']
(08-25-2013, 03:36 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: Treeburn it is best to have that knee replacement done and all medical treatment completed before you talk settlement.

Thank ou. Sadly financially I have to get some sort of job. Physically I could not handle another surgery so soon. I have had 6 in less than 15 months. I cannot wait another 1-3 years. I don't want to start a job and then have a TKR. Remember my right knee has had 9 surgeries and three torn acl,s. sooo......

[/quote]

Thanks buddy. Yeh I had a perfect knee before the injury. Not a thing wrong with it till the accident. Should her what my rating is this week.have no idea what to expect at all. 10%. Would not know where to start. All I know is it all went wrong and all the studies show that a meniscal transplant is a very specialized surgery. Not much known about the long term affects accept it is to really buy time before a TKR. I sent info to my attorney because few people have ever heard of a meniscal transplant and only a select few doctors perform the surgery.

My knee was in to bad of shape for a meniscus transplant, that is why a total knee replacement was required.

The implant I have is the Stryler knee.

(08-25-2013, 03:36 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: Treeburn it is best to have that knee replacement done and all medical treatment completed before you talk settlement.

After the knee replacement my combine rating was 92.5%.  Keep in mind that is for the bilateral knees, lumbar spine, and bilateral carpal tunnel.

If I had been rated before the knee replacement I would have been looking at 10-15%.  I live in Kansas and the 4th edition of the AMA guidelines were used at the time I settled.

Hello, I can only tell you about mine and hope this give u an ideal of $$$.   Which type of knee replacement are you doing the old knee replacement or are you getting the newest Stem Cell Knee Replacement??

Because I just had in July 2015 a Stem Cell Knee Replacement. It costed $200,00. this is not counting the BIO company that clone my stem cells. I am in my 4 month now of PT and I am doing it 3x a week.. Each day I go cost $1275.00. This i the price for the one I go to in Chicago. Some other PT might be higher or lower. Also, the thousand of dollars for Pain Pills, Knee Brace, Crutches and Transportation cost too. 

But if you paying it on your own or work compensation ask you doctor how much he/she charges  and if you paying out of pocket call around to get prices but u have to get them correct information too..  

Good lucky..

(08-25-2013, 03:36 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: Treeburn it is best to have that knee replacement done and all medical treatment completed before you talk settlement.

After the knee replacement my combine rating was 92.5%.  Keep in mind that is for the bilateral knees, lumbar spine, and bilateral carpal tunnel.

If I had been rated before the knee replacement I would have been looking at 10-15%.  I live in Kansas and the 4th edition of the AMA guidelines were used at the time I settled.

Do you know what percentage was given for just the bilateral knee replacements?  I have other injuries as well, but My rating is like in the 30% for all, which to me seems quite low.

Each state designates it"s own rating system; there is not a universal one for every claim in the country.
The rating guideline for Kansas may not be the same for your state.
If you don,t know how ratings are done in your state, you can't tell if it's low or high.
You can also go over the process with your rating physician.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cost to workers of 2012 Reforms 1171 5 954 10-18-2019, 11:17 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Can Total Temporary Disability checks stop without the final written QME report? cainjuredworker 14 10,279 11-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Last Post: bugmann
  Total knee replacement Fordman 5 4,456 08-25-2016, 06:03 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Future medical cost injured man 2 3,276 02-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Last Post: injured man
  Trial Cost Shadow 4 2,883 11-07-2015, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Shadow
  Aprox PPD rating for DDD Lumbar Disc Replacement Wabackinjury 3 5,160 07-18-2015, 12:02 AM
  Permanent Total Ohio leomias 1 2,914 03-25-2015, 11:23 AM
  Permanent Total Ohio leomias 1 2,242 03-25-2015, 11:20 AM
  Has anyone experienced problems with their total hip replacements beentherenstillwaitin 1 2,582 02-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Sad Company negligence cost my index finger bigtruckhank 1 4,671 10-08-2014, 07:56 PM