Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carpal Tunnel/Trigger Thumb in South Carolina
My Injury was reported on May,16 2012. I saw the company doctor for three months before I was diagnosed with Carpal tunnel and Median Nerve entrapment at the elbow on my left arm. By that time it was very severe and required surgury. I had the surgury and a week afterward I was sent back to work with a one pound lifting and pushing restriction on my left arm, So I had to work totally with my right. I forgot to state that I work in a manufaturing plant, assembley work. In March of 2013 I had to have surgery on my right arm for the same conditions.(at the same time I was telling my doctor that I am still experiencing symptoms in my left) So after this surgey I convinced the doctor to give me a extra week to heal before returning to work. I remained on light duty for about 3 months, during that time I had 6 weeks of hand therapy on both arms and hands, They say I was 28% limited at the time they released me. ( oh, I forgot to mention that I developed trigger thumb on my left hand between surguries, which the doctor is saying is not work related ) The next week, the doctor released me to regular duties and said I should be good to go. Three weeks of regular duty and now I can barely use my left arm and hand. I had to convince the doctor to recheck the arm for possible pinched nerve and carpal tunnel. WC agreed to the test. I guess I wrote this long post just to ask, what is the likelyhood that I will have to get an attorney? I feel that the trigger thumb is directly rlated to everything else, but the doctor is saying since I wasn't at work when I told him about it , than it is not work related. WC so far has been very good about everything. I've had no problems with them, but I feel that its going to start getting ugly. Should I have had a laywer from the beginig?

Any advice?
Please excuse mispelling[/font]

generally attys are needed when you have to go to court or are ready to settle.
is that where you are at?
if you want benefits for your thumb, you will need supporting medical and probably a court decision.
to find an atty try here
https://www.wilg.org/index.cfm?pg=publicdirectory
or
http://www.avvo.com/free-legal-advice/Wo...h+carolina
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(08-12-2013, 06:43 PM)1171 Wrote: generally attys are needed when you have to go to court or are ready to settle; but it really depends on what kind of a work comp system your state has.
you did not post your state so it's a guess.
is that where you are at?
if you want benefits for your thumb, you will need supporting medical and probably a court decision.
many states have a work comp speciality but your state is unknown.

I'm sorry, Its South Carolina. I thought it showed in the title of my post. Smile

You don't always need a lawyer for a WC case. Remember they get a % of your settlement. But sometimes you do. Like 1171 you need them if you have to fight for something and some feel better if one is there to help you settle. If you are thinking your thumb should be covered you will need a doctor to say it is work related and it sounds like this doctor is not supporting that. You might want to ask him why he says it is not work related and then go from there. You can get another doctor to say it is but then you will need to have a hearing to decide which is right. The other thing to remember once you hire a lawyer things will change at work. Good luck

Good point Manley: employer thinking employee is suing them often makes for rocky future and if employee looses the dispute little was gained.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

thanks for the advice.

I was also told by an attorney that I should wait until the doctor releases me to seek an attorney. That way he is not entitled to the percentage of the settlement, just a flat fee. Has anyone hear of that?
I'm sorry. I didn't reply to the first post. No I am not ready to settle yet. They had closed my WC case, but then I started to have issues with my left arm again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Experience in North Carolina Cashiered Too 10 3,746 03-25-2018, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Cashiered Too
  North Carolina Back Injury HurtCarolina 1 1,361 07-07-2017, 01:49 AM
Last Post: 1171
  North Carolina impairment rating and settlement question Joshlw 3 3,480 03-30-2017, 02:15 PM
  Quick question from south dakota Dontworryaboutit 8 2,216 03-19-2017, 12:19 PM
  FCE- North Carolina WC Claim BKBROM29 6 6,745 04-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Last Post: BKBROM29
  Carpal tunnel Against multiple employers Cb3 3 3,968 01-05-2015, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Cb3
  Do I need to file-Carpal Tunnel novelty718 2 3,767 08-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Last Post: novelty718
  Carpal Tunnel Claim rufus 12 12,217 03-14-2014, 09:29 PM
  South Carolina WC or Short/Long term disability topshelfswede 2 3,558 09-24-2013, 03:06 PM
  North Carolina question bentnotbroken 10 10,344 09-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Last Post: kate