Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help Me Prepare
Hello,

I was injured on the job about 3.5 weeks ago (terribly bad back pain, herniated discs, at times incapacitating, rendering me immobile). At the time of the injury, I immediately (same day) filed an "indecent report" and began the WC process. The adjuster said I required an IME. So 3.5 weeks later, I have an appointment in a couple of days. I have already researched the doctor appointed to me, and found out that her, on average, 3-minute "exams" tend to lead to denials, aside from her 1 out of 5 star ratings from numerous websites. I can see already that this is going to be a disaster. Is there anything that I can do?

I have tried to request a different doctor, but none are available for at least another month and a half. The notice I received did say I could video/audio record the meeting, and bring a witness on my behalf. Still, I feel like these things will not help the outcome that much. Injury, work, and exam are all in New York City, NY.

Any advise is GREATLY appreciated -- I am very nervous that this exam will ultimately be very detrimental to my condition.

Have you had any medical care in the 3.5 weeks?

I'm guessing no, and they want the IME to find out if you are hurt, and what you need to get you better again. Be it more medical treatment, therapy, etc.

IME is an independent medical evaluation. If you are injured, you need some place to start, to put you on the road to recovery. Be honest, tell The IME what's going on, and where it hurts.

Yes, I am well aware of what an IME is (and also what is really going on with regard to how the entire setup is orchestrated). My question is more concerned with, how am I to avoid a denial of my claim, which seems all but inevitable.

Had I been treated in any way in the past three weeks, would that be grounds to help my case?

at the insurance carrier level you are not in charge of whether your claim is accepted or denied-it's not in your hands.
for the best chance at a successful appeal of a carrier denial you need professional advice and should consult a work comp atty.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Do you think this is a good thing to have at the first IME? Or is it possible to acquire, with favorable results, an attorney after the IME is done? I ask only because my exam date is only about 48 hours away.

Also, I had a question about the witness/recording part, which appears on the notice I received in the mail. In big letters on the front page, it says:
"You have the right to videotape or otherwise record the examination. You also have the right to be accompanied during the exam by an individual of your choosing"

Now, I am assuming "an individual" would ideally be an attorney, but since I don't have one, is it beneficial to have just a friend (perhaps caretaker) accompany me during the exam instead? Or does this hurt my chances? What about the video/audio recording part of it? Does this appear hostile and thereby unfavorable to the examiner?

And thank you for all your responses. Smile

it doesn't matter that much. the doctor is writing a report for their client- the comp carrier. what's in it won't likely change because you do or don't have an atty or a witness.
you will likely be referred to a doctor who will write a report for their client (your atty).
then the case will settle and everyone will go to the bank with their checks.
next case.
the legal system is about settling and going to the bank.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.