Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little shaken, don't know if this is normal.
Just over 1 month ago, I was doing my job, which involves leaning over a table to lift heavy boxes, and I hurt my back. My job puts on a show of offering back braces for employees, but not in a size anyone there could reasonably wear - they offered me a size Large as their biggest, when I wear a 2X shirt, and I'm actually one of the smallest guys there. I've made special requests, but they always put me off and say they'll get around to it, but never do.
Anyway, my boss had me fill out incident reports and workers comp forms and then drove me from work to the hospital, where we filled out all the forms there to say I was being treated for a work related injury. They said it was a strained muscle, gave me muscle relaxants and told me to take it easy for a couple days and get my own brace if work wasn't providing one. I mentioned that my work requires a UA and breathalyzer for work injuries and they said that back pains are a chronic type of injury so they won't give me one.
I hadn't heard anything more about it from anyone until today, when I received a bill from the hospital for $1023, and it says "This balance is your responsibility. Please make a full payment." The Insurance Information says Primary Insurance: Workers Comp, and Secondary Insurance: *my insurance company*. The itemized description of charges says 6/8 was my visit, then on 7/1 it says "Insurance Filed to Work Comp. Amount $0.00"
So at this point, I don't know what to make of it. They waited 3 weeks to file their end of the bill? If my claim was denied, shouldn't I have received some sort of denial letter? I'm really not sure how to take this. Is this normal?

Btw, this is in Nebraska.

it may not be a bill just a notification that workers comp was billed.

you can make a copy and give it to your employer or send it directly to the carrier.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

[quote='Nabby' pid='152277' dateline='1374235811']
Just over 1 month ago, I was doing my job, which involves leaning over a table to lift heavy boxes, and I hurt my back. My job puts on a show of offering back braces for employees, but not in a size anyone there could reasonably wear - they offered me a size Large as their biggest, when I wear a 2X shirt, and I'm actually one of the smallest guys there. I've made special requests, but they always put me off and say they'll get around to it, but never do.
Anyway, my boss had me fill out incident reports and workers comp forms and then drove me from work to the hospital, where we filled out all the forms there to say I was being treated for a work related injury. They said it was a strained muscle, gave me muscle relaxants and told me to take it easy for a couple days and get my own brace if work wasn't providing one. I mentioned that my work requires a UA and breathalyzer for work injuries and they said that back pains are a chronic type of injury so they won't give me one.
I hadn't heard anything more about it from anyone until today, when I received a bill from the hospital for $1023, and it says "This balance is your responsibility. Please make a full payment." The Insurance Information says Primary Insurance: Workers Comp, and Seco-ndary Insurance: *my insurance company*. The itemized description of charges says 6/8 was my visit, then on 7/1 it says "Insurance Filed to Work Comp. Amount $0.00"
So at this point, I don't know what to make of it. They waited 3 weeks to file their end of the bill? If my claim was denied, shouldn't I have received some sort of denial letter? I'm really not sure how to take this. Is this normal?

Btw, this is in Nebraska.

I have seen it to many times , w/ a back injury, the insurance company has a way of saying it wasnt work related, and suggesting it is a pre-exsisting injury, therefore this is your bill. You do have it all on paper and that is very good, because in a case where a back is severly injured, the insurance companies will look into the medical records to find a cause other than the employer. I hope you are better and were able to return to work fairly quickly.
May my personal experience help others. No question is stupid.

I managed to talk to the HR lady today. This is no easy task as we have only one HR person, and she does everything for all the employees at our company's two locations. She said that she never got the paperwork that my boss had me fill out that night, and I would have to fill it all out again. Hopefully this time it goes better.

I bet they have the first paper work you filled out they were just hoping you would forget it and move on. One thing you can do is make sure you keep good notes on what you do and who you talk to and when. One thing to remember once you get hurt to most companies you are now a number. And they just want to get past this and pay out as little as possible. They hope if they make you do things like fill out paper work many times and other things like that. Hang in there and fight to get the help you need

(07-23-2013, 07:55 AM)Nabby Wrote: I managed to talk to the HR lady today. This is no easy task as we have only one HR person, and she does everything for all the employees at our company's two locations. She said that she never got the paperwork that my boss had me fill out that night, and I would have to fill it all out again. Hopefully this time it goes better.

Contact the insurance company directly and make a report over the phone.
they'll contact the employer and verify what they need.
don't rely anymore on a "forgetful" boss and an overworked office person because the consequences of dropping the ball are better for them then you.
follow it up with a written confirmation including the bill with a copy to the employer and the hospital.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MRI says normal but its a lie, xray shows not normal racer17 2 1,742 06-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
Rolleyes normal calculating methods when two different % are given kevin5960 5 2,670 02-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Last Post: 1171
Smile Tips and tricks to do normal things while in pain.. PainandSmiles 26 14,037 05-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Last Post: lucky
  is it normal orange 17 9,587 08-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  I recieved a larger than normal check? simplyshane 4 5,223 04-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Last Post: ace25
  Attorney, normal procedure? Moving Slow 5 4,284 01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Moving Slow
  Beyond the scope of normal household duties bagpussinamerica 6 6,330 11-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Last Post: mpenny
Exclamation Ouch! Is this normal? TiredOfHurting09 32 14,842 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Last Post: TiredOfHurting09
  Too Long or The Normal Time Stumpy 13 8,570 05-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  I am confused as normal risingeagle222 11 5,047 06-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Last Post: stiffnecked