Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hurt in south dakota w questions
ended up having tendonitis and carpultunnel in both arms from work . im currently on work comp and have been getting payments for ttd . i got 2 surgery done on left wrist n hand 3 month ago and have surgery for right wrist n hand in two weeks , - i never recieved an impairment rating for my left which was mmi n cleared for work2 month ago . i have 81 percent grip strength in left which is way low for my age and gender should be around 110, the therapist said i was in the 25th percentile for grip strength, but i do not know what that means impairment wise . i never recieved any info if i had impairment from doctor or therapist - wondering if anybody here knew what 25th percentile in grip strength means in impairment terms. also is it possible since i have another set of surgeries that they will wait to give me impairment until both r mmi . please help

Yes, They won't give you a rating until all the conditions related to the work injury are at MMI. They will be combined into a single rating.
Offhand i don't know what rating guidelines are used in South Dakota.
Your doctor would know and can give more detail on all the factors that are used to measure your impairment.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(06-20-2013, 07:03 PM)1171 Wrote: Yes, They won't give you a rating until all the conditions related to the work injury are at MMI. They will be combined into a single rating.
Offhand i don't know what rating guidelines are used in South Dakota.
Your doctor would know and can give more detail on all the factors that are used to measure your impairment.

thank you sooo much , so worried , definitely didnt get back to normal n thought he just gave me a zero on impairment .

after left arm surgery i wasnt given impairment rating officially - due to an upcoming surgery on right arm on the same work comp injury case . the one thing the physical therapist told me the day before the doctor cleared my left arm at mmi- is that the strength test he did on my left came to me being at 25th percentile grip after surgery n therapy . my grip is 81 and should be 110 . does anyone kno what this means in impairment .

As 1171 stated, you will not be given an impairment rating, until all injuries are treated, and determined MMI ( Most Medically Improved )

(06-20-2013, 08:34 PM)dusty boy Wrote: As 1171 stated, you will not be given an impairment rating, until all injuries are treated, and determined MMI ( Most Medically Improved )

thnx much guys work comp is a horrible unknown thing - reality is easy to deal with but not knowing what happens next really sucks

South Dakota uses the AMA 4th edition of rating permanent impairment.
a medical school library or your doctor can go over the factors used in rating your disability.
ratings are complex and use multiple factors to determine the extent of permanent impairment including abnormal motion, sensory loss, grip, motor deficit, atrophy, strength, etc.
the 5th edition has 90 pages on rating an upper extremity.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(06-21-2013, 01:57 PM)1171 Wrote: South Dakota uses the AMA 4th edition of rating permanent impairment.
a medical school library or your doctor can go over the factors used in rating your disability.
ratings are complex and use multiple factors to determine the extent of permanent impairment including abnormal motion, sensory loss, grip, motor deficit, atrophy, strength, etc.
the 5th edition has 90 pages on rating an upper extremity.

ok thank you very much , i never got tested on left by doctor but therapist did grip and pinch tests and sent them to doc, and after that he cleared my arm w no restrictions . was that the tests ? also can my job just let me go when both arms r cleared and released to work - ill b cleared by sept w both , they already told me that my position has been filled . and one more question ...if the doc releases my arm w no restrictions does that mean no impairment or is it just that he feels i can still perform duties. sorry so many questions just found website n have been sittin here worried for last 6 months ...busted my butt for company n they turned on me like a pack of wolves when i got hurt . felt like a broken legged racehorse takin the trip behind the barn

if your employment is covered by FMLA, you have 12 weeks of job protection.
More here
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/p...fmlaen.pdf

it's not so much what the doctor told you as to what was stated in the written report to the carrier.
if the doctor did not include the written impairment factors, then you'll have to request a rating exam.

you should contact the carrier and find out what they are planning to do and when to help ease your worries.

yup. when one-on-one with an employer an individual worker is more easily tossed aside.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(06-21-2013, 03:37 PM)1171 Wrote: if your employment is covered by FMLA, you have 12 weeks of job protection.
More here
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/p...fmlaen.pdf

it's not so much what the doctor told you as to what was stated in the written report to the carrier.
if the doctor did not include the written impairment factors, then you'll have to request a rating exam.

you should contact the carrier and find out what they are planning to do and when to help ease your worries
yup. when one-on-one with an employer an individual worker is more easily tossed aside.

i called carrier n she said if i really wanted that info to go get a lawyer to request it . so i called sd dept of labor n they told me that in south dakota they automatically require a rating from doc n dont have to request one . does that sound right to you and is the dept of labor my enemy in this or are they a nuetral entity - thnx again n last question , i really appreciate it

You don't need an atty to get a copy of your claims file.
You may have to pay reasonable copying costs but they have to comply with the public records act.
http://legis.state.sd.us/statutes/Displa...pe=Statute

Make a written request as outlined in the law
http://legis.state.sd.us/statutes/Displa...te=1-27-37

Send a copy to the adjuster and another to the president of the insurance company.keep a copy.

I don't believe your state government is your enemy but they have to serve a lot of people and they are not always as efficient as we'd like.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  North Dakota LovelyDay 9 4,143 02-02-2018, 02:13 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Quick question from south dakota Dontworryaboutit 8 3,507 03-19-2017, 12:19 PM
  So many questions and what ifs in sourh dakota Dontworryaboutit 2 1,350 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM
  North Dakota PPI Rating dljeff 3 5,474 01-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Last Post: dljeff
  South Carolina WC or Short/Long term disability topshelfswede 2 4,114 09-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Sad South Carolina is it time to hire an attorney? Amarie1121 2 3,335 08-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Carpal Tunnel/Trigger Thumb in South Carolina Amarie1121 5 9,366 08-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Amarie1121
  Help! My attorney turned on me and i was coerced during mediation SOUTH FLORIDA lumbar81 11 14,529 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Last Post: lumbar81
  NORTH DAKOTA LIGHT DUTY RTW. WHO PAYS ME. OGRIGHAND 2 5,320 06-08-2012, 07:10 PM
  Moving South for the Winter pas2355 2 3,809 10-30-2011, 02:55 PM