Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK NURSES
I felt terrible last couple of days...all I want to do is sleep,stomach very upset and lightheaded too...some itching been told sometype of virus going around...but red and tuffy good advise...I'll check my sugar now and see where it's at...and start drinking alot of water...I forget sometimes I can dehydrant easily...I couldn't even keep chicken soup down...I'm almost afraid to check levels today...afraid too high...I'm a baby

The only thing I would add here is to go ahead and get some cranberry juice down you, or tablets, as well. If you do have a UTI, that will help too. I wouldn't change too many things at once, otherwise you will never know what is helping what. But definately drink lots and lots of water.

this is why I really hate being diabetic....you don't know if you sick because your sugar is high, or if your sugar is high because your sick...I'm beginning to tell the difference tho...I'll have to look for the diet cranberry juice...next time I'm out

hi all...I thought jayne was a diabetic which is why I never mentioned cranberry juice. CRABBY do they make diet cranberry juice...I didn't realize that..that is interesting... thanks bagpussinamerican.....love Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

red1030 Wrote:hi all...I thought jayne was a diabetic which is why I never mentioned cranberry juice. CRABBY do they make diet cranberry juice...I didn't realize that..that is interesting... thanks bagpussinamerican.....love Red

Thanks to all of you for helpful hints...I know the minute maid and tropicana make a diet fruit juices or low sugar...now and I've been buying that...but I really use to like drinking cranberry juice...I'll look for it....I couldn't believe how much a fruit punch would make my levels go up...it was unreal...

CRABBY there are three types of sugar that our bodies use. There is frutose, galatose, and sucrose. Each one of these sugars work differently in being converted to glucose. Glucose is the sugar that all our food is eventually turned into and then used for energy. For instance if you are in a car and that car is going 60 miles an hour and then the car next to you is going 40 miles an hour which one is going to be at the finish line first. Well under the same conditions and length it is obvious it would be the car moving at 60 miles an hour. Our metabolism is the mechanism that our bodies uses to convert food into fuel uses. Using this as an example, sucrose which is just sugar such as candy, etc, moves at 100 miles per hour... so it get there real fast, therefor your sugar rises fast, frutose which is sugar from fruits moves at 80 miles an hour and so it get there really fast as well. Some fruits have more sucrose per bit than others such as oranges versus apples. Then galatose is from milk, and it metabolizes at 40 miles per hour...but it does eventually get there to be used as glucose and raises your sugar. EVen proten will raise you sugar if you are not properly monitored because it all turns into glucose. So the idea here is..that sugar will move faster than fruit, but frut will raise the sugar rather quickly. In the hospital if a person's blood sugar drops suddenly we give them orange juice sometime with tablespoons of sugar to raise it quickly.... but it will raise...it...so no surprise that any fruit juice will raise your sugar quickly before any insulin will have time to work. For a person with out diabetic tendancies...of course their pancreas will realise enough insulin to carry the sugar even from a candy bar in to the cells to work where as with the diabetic, it stays in the blood stream unable to be carried in to the cells to work. I use to love the krebs cycle...Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Ocean Spray has lite or Diet Cranberry.

Red that was a great explanation , Never heard it explained like that before.

Tuffy...I use to teach nutrition in nursing school. I don't think I have ever told you that I taught in nursing school before..it was a part time job that I did at a community college for ADN's from 1998 - 2005. Also I taught last semester RN's in a weekend rotation at a long term care facility...we were teaching them to be supervisors. It was part of a leadership program that this community college was sponsering.

now that about the car will stick in my mind and maybe it will help ,sometimes i think im beyond help in the sugar dept. I HAVE NO WILL POWER
worry changes nothing prayer changes every thing

I cme from a huge family with many generations of dibetics, I am hypoglocemic, so am totally oppisite. But when I get back next week from Denver Dr visit I will hunt up my sugar free recipes for ya'll. Please remind me if I forget

Sithie
The good news is,"You can get used to anything."
The bad news is,"You can get used to anything."
:-)
Sithie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nurses bronco54501 6 5,890 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Last Post: red1030
  A question for the nurses? Bummer Knees 13 6,808 02-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
Question Nurses and all joint replacements...Please capricorn 17 7,950 12-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Last Post: capricorn
  need help nurses jayne 14 6,550 12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Last Post: jayne
  OK nurses fess up jayne 11 6,068 08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
  OK nurses jayne 12 6,640 06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  Nurses, and Anyone Else that can Help Please!!! Still in Limbo 40 21,289 06-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  A question for nurses Bummer Knees 8 5,481 01-25-2009, 04:49 PM
  A question for the nurses on the forum? Bummer Knees 11 7,117 12-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Question for Nurses. AQA 7 3,877 03-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Last Post: backache