Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work appeals were denied x4 now off to IME
Hello everyone,
Maybe someone can help...I got very sick at work in Dec. and with two ER trips and one hospital stay in ICU I am finally on the mend. (with some issues with my innards) My work has been fighting this L & I case the entire time (I believe because of the huge red mark it will put on the company) and each time they have lost their appeals.(x4) I now have a new case mgr. with L & I and she is sending me to an IME. Why is that?
I have had 5 doctors send in reports to L & I from the hospitals regarding my case on their own because they were so disgusted with what happened to me. Are they just grasping at straws or is this normal?

Thanks for any information I might be able to get.

IMEs are generally used to get updated medical information or another opinion on the medical condition or liability issues.
use of a physician selected by the carrier/employer is common in disputed comp claims.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(05-13-2013, 04:09 PM)1171 Wrote: IMEs are generally used to get updated medical information or another opinion on the medical condition or liability issues.
use of a physician selected by the carrier/employer is common in disputed comp claims.

Can I call and request a different doctor? I looked up the doctor they are sending me to and he does not have a very good record according to all of the ratings I am seeing on line. makes me nervous...We are talking about my organs, here. (not to make light of anything else). I am just very nervous from everything I have already gone thru.

IME is just an evaluation, he is not going to treat you, just evaluate you, and make sugestions to the IC. Keep in mind, he is " in the IC's pocket", so watch what you say.

an example of that is,
" How are you feeling today?"

fine

"Patient is in no pain and is feeling great"

Yes, I understand..thank you. Just wondering if anyone has ever requested to see different IME doctor other than the one they were appointed?

(05-13-2013, 04:16 PM)nkr3686 Wrote: Can I call and request a different doctor? I looked up the doctor they are sending me to and he does not have a very good record according to all of the ratings I am seeing on line. makes me nervous...We are talking about my organs, here. (not to make light of anything else). I am just very nervous from everything I have already gone thru.

I doubt it, but each state has different rules and I don't know yours.
generally the whole point is the carrier/employer wants their doctor's opinion.
it's your organs vs their $$. both sides gather their medical evidence and either negotiate a resolution or have the court decide.
since there have been numerous appeals can we assume are you represented?
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Thanks, yea my first case worker said it could go all the way to the supreme court...who knows they've taken it pretty far already (but lost). Keeping my ducks in a row and doing what they want. We will see in the end.

Thanks for your help Smile

It is always possible for you to hire your own doctor to do and IME but these are not cheap. It's not like a $100 office visit. Best thing to do is see what the law says in your state and if you have to see this doctor watch what you say and then see what his report says. Most IME reports they are going to send you to and pay for are not going to be in your favor. The first one they sent me to had things in my report that were completely wrong and not hard at all to disprove so they didn't give very much weight to anything he said

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who pays for surgery if work comp is denied Dayneliski 3 3,816 02-27-2018, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Cashiered Too
  appeals poppy481647 1 1,887 01-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Last Post: 1171
  SIBS Appeals Panel Decision bigbo88 7 5,402 04-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Last Post: bigbo88
  Maryland Appeals leisiminger 1 2,638 10-30-2011, 12:19 AM
  Appeals Redstone 10 9,063 12-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Redstone
  appeals orange 1 2,439 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM
  What to expect in the court of appeals greenjob 2 3,530 10-03-2009, 11:45 AM