Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
workers comp nightmare
I'm 51 yo female from Michigan. I was assaulted at work by a psych patient on 12/23/11 resulting I injuries to my neck, elbows, hips and right cheek. Comp accepted my claim for soft tissue injury but refused to authorize an MRI so I went through my own doctor. I knew it was more than soft tissue and when the MRI came back it clearly showed a neck fracture, but who ever read it missed it. Went through mylogram and other tests they still overlooked the fracture. I started choking on everything so the neurosurgeon decides he see's a bone spur at C6 so in April 2012 I was to have a single level fusion with cadaver bone at C5&6. During
surgery is when he finally found my unhealed C6 endplate fracture. When I woke up he had also cut open
my right hip and tried to remove to pieces of bone but they both fractured due to severe osteoporosis? News to me, but I never gave consent for him to do this anyways. So in July 2012 I start choking again and via CT it was found the cadaver bone was growing like wildfire everywhere (no hardware) I was 2cm from being paralized. It had attached to my esophagus and causing esophageal compression again. Emergency revision was done by my first surgeons partner, fusion C5 6&7 with plating. Now March 2013 I was just told a screw is penetrating my C7 endplate and fracturing it. I need another revision and fusion has to be extended again. My w/c was cut off 2 days after comp received my surgical report, I couldn't understand why until I read it myself. My first surgeon put I was in an auto accident, in another report he put I was pushed down a flight of stairs, he had my employer wrong 3 times.
So I'm thinking get these corrected and they will turn my benefits back on right?
Wrong it took me months to get these corrected and still no benefits. I've had no income for almost a year and no husband with income. Disability denied twice had to get an attorney for that too. This patient assault is even on video. Before my injury I reported my employer to civil rights and EEOC for discrimination and sexual harassment. I was so angry at first I called everyone I could, congressman, attorney general which I believe hurt more than helped. I've gone from angry to hopeless.

if you think you are suffering emotionally from the injury and consequences, have your physician give you a referral for counseling.
you need your wits about you to get thru difficult physical injuries and frustrating benefit & coverage issues.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(03-28-2013, 12:07 AM)1171 Wrote: if you think you are suffering emotionally from the injury and consequences, have your physician give you a referral for counseling.
you need your wits about you to get thru difficult physical injuries and frustrating benefit & coverage issues.

I know I am. I did get a referral after my 2nd fusion, I seen him a couple times and he was to refer me to psychiatrist. In the mean time I developed bronchitis which put me down for 4 months. Oh the counseler I was seeing use to work where I do which made me uncomfortable too. So come January 2013 still had not heard from them to see the psychiatrist so I call and see the counselor again. He tells me because their is a shortage of psychiatrists I my area the only one that can see me is one I worked with for 2 years, he is the only one? WTH? So my personal doctor found me someone else not from here and does not work for the state and I switched to a female counselor at the first place that does not work for the state. Sucks to be from a small town. Thanks for letting me vent.

Venting is something we all need to do at some point. It does help and this forum doesn't mind. We all need somebody to lean on. Fight for the care you need and arm yourself with information, it will help get that care.

(03-28-2013, 09:39 AM)Manley2 Wrote: Venting is something we all need to do at some point. It does help and this forum doesn't mind. We all need somebody to lean on. Fight for the care you need and arm yourself with information, it will help get that care.

Thank you so much
My case started off bad when my adjuster said "I'm sending you to an IME because of your rediculose symptoms" it just got worse from there. If I knew then what I know now I would haved armed myself with an attorney right then. Thanks to boards like this I am more prepared. You guys do a wonderful thing for ppl here and I appreciate it very much. The things w/c does to
us is just unbelieveable and unbearable at times eespecially without support from family or friends that don't understand and think your case should be clear cut.

Well said, Life'sparty, family and friends do not understand and for your sake , don't expect them to. Maybe oneday they will suprise you though. But after reading your story, it sounds like the work comp doc did not discuss every thing w/ you as far as what was needed for your surgery. My god . to think of the reprocussions down the road. Just a quick entry will study more into this later, do your research online inthte meantime
May my personal experience help others. No question is stupid.

Well said, Life'sparty, family and friends do not understand and for your sake , don't expect them to. Maybe oneday they will suprise you though. But after reading your story, it sounds like the work comp doc did not discuss every thing w/ you as far as what was needed for your surgery. My god . to think of the reprocussions down the road. Just a quick entry will study more into this later, do your research online inthte meantime
May my personal experience help others. No question is stupid.

Most people go through life and have pain at some point in time but it goes away after a few hours to maybe a few days. Some even have it for maybe a few weeks but nothing to compare to living day in and day out in pain. Even in the WC system I have always felt like they maybe understand you are in pain but they don't think about your not in pain only 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Until this happens to them they will never truly understand what it can do to you. It takes it's toll on everything in your life and can make life hard to get through. Hang tough and try to find a support system to help. Family may not truly understand what your going though but they still can help. People on here can help as well because we understand, we might not have the same injuries but the daily pain can take the same toll on us.

Thank you Milo & Manley2, I appreciate the support.

(04-01-2013, 12:01 AM)lifeisaparty? Wrote: Thank you Milo & Manley2, I appreciate the support.

Good luck to you. I'm trying to get psych. benefits due to my worsening depression. My doctor won't even hear me out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Achilles Repair. Workers comp question... Go Cowboys! 3 326 09-26-2019, 08:59 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Question Workers Comp settlement in NJ eclark16 9 812 09-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Last Post: eclark16
  Workers Comp Disputing Medical Bills gamora77 1 715 03-15-2019, 11:22 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Built a map of workers comp. John_Richardson 1 1,289 02-28-2019, 08:48 AM
Last Post: TerryLewis
Shy Work related/induced stress & workers comp heartworkerNC 7 5,193 02-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Last Post: TerryLewis
  Typical Workers Comp Settlement for Stress? California queenbvirgin 2 1,256 02-04-2019, 08:47 PM
  ust now Can I quit my job and do freelance work during workers comp? caworkerscompqs 1 855 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
  Workers Comp Violation? Floydmay22 2 1,343 11-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Sad Workers comp settlement amount help Jayal27 4 2,348 09-07-2018, 04:06 PM
  Workers Comp. running out in Calif. C3d 3 2,308 08-20-2018, 01:11 AM