Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having a hard time getting answers
Let me start this off saying I started working oilfield a year and a half back in Odessa/Midland, Texas area. I injured my wrist/forearm in Aug 2012, had 2 surgerys so far and been off work ever since. My original plan was to go back to work after I was healed. But I've decided I would like to go back to school in a different state. I was wondering if I can get in any trouble quitting my job while on workman's comp? Will I have to pay back any disability/loss wages checks? What should I tell the insurance company? I just don't want too get into any legal problems or anything like that. I'm only 20 and this is the first I've had to deal with any insurance at all. I've been pretty worried about it. If I could get some advice or info it would be most appreciated.
Thanks

As far as your medical care goes, it follows you weather you stay at your cuurent employment or not.. I dont know about texas laws as far as wages or wc bennifits....

(03-27-2013, 12:05 AM)jkbancroft Wrote: Let me start this off saying I started working oilfield a year and a half back in Odessa/Midland, Texas area. I injured my wrist/forearm in Aug 2012, had 2 surgerys so far and been off work ever since. My original plan was to go back to work after I was healed. But I've decided I would like to go back to school in a different state. I was wondering if I can get in any trouble quitting my job while on workman's comp? Will I have to pay back any disability/loss wages checks? What should I tell the insurance company? I just don't want too get into any legal problems or anything like that. I'm only 20 and this is the first I've had to deal with any insurance at all. I've been pretty worried about it. If I could get some advice or info it would be most appreciated.
Thanks

make sure they have workers comp and not other coverage.
if you are released to light work and they have it, they don't have to pay disability whether you quite or not.
as bronco said: medical continues as long as you have your claim.
comp is not health insurance.
it is not you that is insured but the employer.
their coverage continues no matter who you work for.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(03-27-2013, 11:10 AM)1171 Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 12:05 AM)jkbancroft Wrote: Let me start this off saying I started working oilfield a year and a half back in Odessa/Midland, Texas area. I injured my wrist/forearm in Aug 2012, had 2 surgerys so far and been off work ever since. My original plan was to go back to work after I was healed. But I've decided I would like to go back to school in a different state. I was wondering if I can get in any trouble quitting my job while on workman's comp? Will I have to pay back any disability/loss wages checks? What should I tell the insurance company? I just don't want too get into any legal problems or anything like that. I'm only 20 and this is the first I've had to deal with any insurance at all. I've been pretty worried about it. If I could get some advice or info it would be most appreciated.
Thanks

make sure they have workers comp and not other coverage.
if you are released to light work and they have it, they don't have to pay disability whether you quite or not.
as bronco said: medical continues as long as you have your claim.
comp is not health insurance.
it is not you that is insured but the employer.
their coverage continues no matter who you work for.
Yeah its workers comp for sure. The main question is there any big consequences of quitting my job before im released to light duty again? Legal Issues or paying money back I've received for disability and lost wages? I have no problem with trying to find another doctor in another state. I just wanna move. =)

Also I was wondering if I should get a lawyer to handle this whole situation? I know I get a MMI eventually and I don't wanna get low balled.

no, you don't have to repay work comp costs when you leave your employment. work comp coverage is not based on continuing employment.
as I posted -it's not you that is insured.

partial disability payments may be in jeopardy if you have are not able to perform available light work.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Thank you for info this is all really helpful =). I've decided just to quit once I receive my light duty release. Would it be better to inform workman's comp I'm doing so sooner then later? When I first started all this I told them I planned on going back to work.

if you are receiving supplemental wage replacement benefits you should inform them.

Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  need some answers elbowinjury101 1 2,861 03-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Help need answers Kuku 13 10,235 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Any Answers? dbusic77 14 11,219 01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Last Post: dbusic77
  Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need answers missmelody 5 5,285 07-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Last Post: missmelody
  Co-workers make it very hard Beesbite 7 6,565 04-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  w/c taking the hard stand... bagpussinamerica 6 7,783 02-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Last Post: bagpussinamerica
  Stuck between a rock and a hard place bagpussinamerica 18 12,078 11-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Last Post: bagpussinamerica
  Help need answers b8000 4 5,187 07-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Last Post: b8000
  going thru it hard fallenflagger11 6 5,655 07-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Last Post: hawaii1
  I need some answers. dawnnanette 6 4,605 03-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Last Post: sparkey