Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I settle when pain is coming back
Hello,

I live in Florida and I herniated a l5-s1 last April and have been on work comp. since. I've been getting checks biweekly until a doctor clears me for work. Problem is my pain comes and goes (it usually comes). I've been in constant pain and under care of a pain management doctor. A settlement might be on its way.

When I saw the doctor earlier this month, my pain let up a bit and I was having less pain than normal. This is due to an increase in medication he gave me. Increased from 2 to 3 opana 10mg er per day. But now my pain is back.

I am terrified of going back to work in pain. I asked for another facet injection for my right side and he said he would wait on it...really? Those injections help with my right side but instead orders an EMG test to check for pinched nerves in my left leg.

I have 5 out of 10 pain just laying around all day...if I pick up stuff around the house forget it...the pain keeps me in bed for a day or two.
Also, this doc refuses to give me a psychiatric referral because it was preexisting. Even though no psychiatrist will touch me since I'm on pain meds he thinks there is no causal relationship.

I had to get my psych meds from the ER the other week. I don't know what to do. I can't afford $400 for a private psych.

Question is: Should I ask the doctor to take me off of pain meds so I can get my psych meds? Without the psych meds I get suicidal, paranoid, delusional, and sometimes psychotic. Without pain meds there is constant pain and I spend most of my time laying down. Which is worse?

request a change of physicians.
do it in writing and keep a copy.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(03-25-2013, 07:22 PM)1171 Wrote: request a change of physicians.
do it in writing and keep a copy.

Not sure who to send the request to...the nurse case manager of the ins comp OR to my atty.
I trust my atty more than the former.

when you are represented all contact should go thru your atty.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Speak with your lawyer about this and don't be in a hurry to settle. Until you are at MMI you don't want to even think about a settlement. You need to make sure you are following up with your doctor about the EMG and see what it can tell you. You may need a new doctor because this one may not be working to get to your problem and help you

I was thinking about spending some of my own money on a neurologist. I need to get surgery or I'm going to deal with this the rest of my life. And it will only get worse.

(03-25-2013, 07:56 PM)1171 Wrote: when you are represented all contact should go thru your atty.

This is still a must. and if you still feel you require a referral for pshyc. meds, your workers comp treating physician must make this referral for a consideration by workers comp to abide by this request. They still have the option of a hearing in front of a judge where you are likely to testify that their neglegance is the reason for your need for pshyc care. Don't get me wrong. I know they are the reason for mine. But because I was let down by promises so late in my situation, I decicded not to pursue this arguement w/ the courts.
May my personal experience help others. No question is stupid.

(03-25-2013, 11:28 PM)Milo Wrote:
(03-25-2013, 07:56 PM)1171 Wrote: when you are represented all contact should go thru your atty.

This is still a must. and if you still feel you require a referral for pshyc. meds, your workers comp treating physician must make this referral for a consideration by workers comp to abide by this request. They still have the option of a hearing in front of a judge where you are likely to testify that their neglegance is the reason for your need for pshyc care. Don't get me wrong. I know they are the reason for mine. But because I was let down by promises so late in my situation, I decicded not to pursue this arguement w/ the courts.

Let me reiterate that I had a preexisting psych problem prior to date of injury. However, since then my depression is crippling and my anxiety level is through the roof. Not to mention the mood swings. Nobody will take over my psych care since I have been put on pain management. Considering my extensive history of drug abuse nobody wants to prescribe me my antipsychotic and anxiolytic, in fear that I will overdose.

(03-25-2013, 11:55 PM)lonelylib81 Wrote:
(03-25-2013, 11:28 PM)Milo Wrote:

Let me reiterate that I had a preexisting psych problem prior to date of injury. However, since then my depression is crippling and my anxiety level is through the roof. Not to mention the mood swings. Nobody will take over my psych care since I have been put on pain management. Considering my extensive history of drug abuse nobody wants to prescribe me my antipsychotic and anxiolytic, in fear that I will overdose.

Do you have a primary dr.....? I had a similar expierence when I was seeing a pain clinic.. I had a phyitrist (spelling) from day 1 and he was needed because of so many drs that they wanted 1 dr to for see over my care.. WC sent me to a sych dr and said he didnt see any problems with depression.. I had been having episodes of feeling like I was dying and the drs kept blowing it off, it wasnt until later my primary dr (family dr) diag me with anxiety from my injury.. Ofcourse wc questioned his evidence but they didnt deny treatment..

With you saying you had a history of drug abuse, many dr do frown on the fact, and drs dont like to be held accountable.. Like others have said, dont rush a settlment to early... A good wc attorney has drs that are credibale they use and you may want to talk to your attorney before asking for a referral.. When you do anything you should always keep your attorney in the loop, keep all records, coppies for your attorney as well..

So I guess I'll take the steering wheel from here? This doctor is a fool. I probably should request a change.
I have no primary care doctor, no insurance and little money. I couldn't get insurance even if I had the money (I tried).
The ER currently is my healthcare provider.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low back pain, numbness in leg... WC claim? AMSchmitt79 3 4,082 03-31-2016, 01:49 PM
Last Post: AMSchmitt79
  Back in pain Ar1999 4 4,610 02-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Ar1999
Question pain coming back 6yrs after disc replacement RockyTopVFL 6 10,293 04-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Last Post: hamrs_62
  Injury treated, back to full work, now in pain? CassieF 3 8,552 10-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Breast reduction for back pain? Tink 10 13,877 10-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
Sad Still in Pain, Doctor says go back to work. Kruger 2 13,606 07-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jayne
  up coming IME grumpyone 15 8,359 09-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Last Post: grumpyone
  Theraputic Items/Back Pain karenrae 4 5,131 03-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Last Post: grumpyone
  just back from pain management all new meds inpainokla 15 13,935 01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  TENS not effective for back pain 1171 12 12,862 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Last Post: kit