Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injured at work - need help with dealing with company!
Sad 
I was injured at work on 5/20/07 - I tripped while carrying files up steep stairs and fell on my left side straining my left arm and neck.
I was told it was company policy to fill out an accident report and fax it to human resources. I did so. HR then called me and asked if I wanted to see "their" doctor. I didn't feel really hurt, just bruised, but she felt I should see a doctor so I said okay and they made the appointment for me. After seeing the their doctor twice he referred me to phyical therapy which I was not comfortable with but was verbally told that it would be in my best interest. I was in PT for about 10 weeks. I had to go to Dr. appointments and Physical Therapy during work hours. I submitted to my company my mileage the last three months.
Today I was sent an email stating that I was to submit my mileage through their insurance company and that they where deducting $99.91 from my pay (we are currently a one income family at $22,000 a year - so this is a BIG junk of my pay). I was also informed that I was to use my earned time for appointments and they were going to deduct 22.75 hours from my earned time (that is about 3 days worth of vacation for me and we only get 8 to begin with). I'm furious. Why should I have to use MY earned time for a company injury that they are supposed to be paying for.
What rights to I have if any. I can't seem to find help online. I called my Worker's Compensation office in Maine and left two messages. I feel they are trying to get me to quit my job and I refuse.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Michelle

Michelle, I am so sorry that you are having to deal with all of this mess. I don't know how to help you with your specific problem, but someone will know. I agree that you should not have to miss pay because of your injury. Hve you looked up the information through your state website? Some states are pretty easy to understand, others not so much. Sorry I couldn't be of any help, but someone will come along. Hang in there!

need more info like state you were hurt in
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

ok since you live and work and was injured in maine - I will give you a few links and some excerpts
http://www.workerscompensation.com/regul...7521&title=

2. Employee selection. After 10 days from the inception of health care under subsection 1, the employee may select a different health care provider by giving to the employer the name of the health care provider and a statement of intention to treat with the health care provider. The employer may file a petition objecting to the named health care provider selected by the employee and setting forth reasons for the objection. The issue of the health care provider must be set for mediation pursuant to section 313. If the objection is not resolved through mediation, after notice to all parties and a prompt hearing by a hearing officer, the hearing officer may order one of the following:

http://www.workerscompensation.com/regul...tate=maine

There are many more statutes there but I could not off hand find anything about wage replacement for time take for appointments during working hours nor about mileage this early in the morning. I do hope these links help you and suggest that you read up on some of your state regulations in regards to WC.

http://www.workerscompensation.com/regul...7521&title=

An employee being treated by a health care provider of the employee's own choice shall, after an injury and at all reasonable times during the continuance of disability if so requested by the employer, submit to an examination by a physician, surgeon or chiropractor authorized to practice as such under the laws of this State, to be selected and paid by the employer.

I live in NH and the state of Maine is my neighboring state. Nice to find someone on here close by. I had to go to PT and OT during work time and i use to have to write in the time i took at the clinic so that WC ic could pay me for the hours etc. They would pay my mileage plus the time i took there. I do not know about Maine, but i think your work may be trying to pull a fast one on you.

They should not be using your vacation time for you to go to the doctors to get fixed if it is worked related, also make sure they pay you your mileage back within 30 days. If not call the wc office. It is the law!!!!!!!!!

I was upset that i mailed in over 700 miles to the ic to reimburse me for mileage and when i saw the NCM i mentioned i was upset it was taking so long, about 2 days later all three bills i mailed totaling over 700 miles was in my mailbox. It took them 34 days to repay me.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Well let,s see, Usually WC only get,s involved if ,,,,,,your off (and injured) for 7 day,s or more.
Getting Re-Imbursed for mileage, I would think the Company SHOULD Re-Imburse you,,,, Using vacation time,,,,, no way , that,s not right,,,, What can you do????? . Well If you do this the Diplomatic way,,,,the Company just may see this type of action should be considered in the Best Interest of them,,,, However ,If you raise a Ruckus about this,,,, they may get upset , and that ,,,,, will lead to other "Not so nice thing,s" for your future with your company,,,,It,s prolly NOT what you didn,t want to hear,,,,, but that,s the way Buisness work,s. If how ever you further pursue this,,,,,,Don,t let the company Know what your doing,,,,,Don,t blow up at them and say ,,,,well this and that,,,,,get all your duck,s in a row,,,,,then speak to them about the "Possibilities " you have at your option,s.
On The Road to Recovery

I don't know about Maine, but in PA you are only provided with WC benefits for missed time due to doctor's appointments if those appointments can not be scheduled outside of your working hours. Sounds like it is time to call a lawyer for some concrete answers.

EXACTLY Tim. That is what i was told also. That if you have to make an appt. or have physical therapy etc during work time they are to pay you your mileage working or not and also your time out of work. You have to put your time in as WC. They are to reimburse you for when you go to your appts.

Look more into it, as it seems everyone seems to have the same ideas. I know for a fact they paid mine. I had alot of appts. with therapy and the doctors which was in the middle of my work hours. I worked 10 hours a day so it was hard to find time to go when NOT working.

I was also thinking that it very well could be that HR dept. has no idea that it should be paid by wc either. Maybe they need to read up on the rules of WC and a injured worker.

Hi,
I'm in Mich....I went to PT and MD during work hrs..my work paid me for this time as if i had never left. I would have raised a stink if they had insisted I use vacation time....as these trips are "no vacation" and my injury was a result of an equip. safety overlook . WC paid my mileage for PT and MD appmnts.
Good luck, Hope you get your vacation time back, as it doesn't seem right to me. IMO, I'd fight for it. Be prepared though, as your work may not agree, as it's costing them. Obviously, they are trying to get out of paying you. What would have happened if you already had your vacation time scheduled?
LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Employee Injured at work today-California Babebahn 11 2,136 09-19-2020, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Babebahn
  Dealing with denial of medication in ca Animatedbreak84 27 18,245 11-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Dealing with WC Adjuster and Lawyer/ GA corawilke 2 3,791 09-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
  Injured at work in NY MD123 3 3,501 03-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Rolleyes injured at work johnsteele 6 6,679 01-20-2014, 06:01 PM
  I Honestly Think I've Been Injured Due To Work rooibos1986 3 3,804 12-17-2013, 02:11 PM
  Injured during work conditioning hotflash 3 6,286 04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  dealing with a lawyer after settlement wardmacdonald 6 6,170 09-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Injured at work, I have questions. Taja 2 4,805 07-21-2012, 07:52 PM
  Mom injured at work. hobithairshop 5 6,334 09-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Last Post: LeglEgl