Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
do teacher wc benefits end at end of school year?
Toungue 
California
new hire at high school
injured after 2 months at job
out on WC 5 months
back to work 2 days

I had blunt force trauma to my head while teaching and have been out for 5 months trying to recover. Different doctors have had me try different things, until complete rest and no physical therapy seemed to help. However I never was able to build up strength doing PT before going back to the classroom.

4 days ago i was sent back to the classroom, from complete rest to full duty with no restrictions, and I feel HORRIBLE! My pain has shot up to a 6 after 2 days teaching. It is now the weekend and my pain is not subsiding. No pills haver ever helped.

The WC case manager instructed the doctor and me that if I didn't get back to work that day then my sick days would start to be taken to pay for me, and if that happened then there was NO chance to be rehired next year.

Also, if I didn't get back teaching I would not be eligible for unemployment because I had not been working recently.

QUESTION
I was told that at the end of the school year, if I am still on workman's comp, that everything but doctor's visits for my condition would be cut. No checks, nada. If that is the case and I am still injured, I can't apply for a new job, obviously. So no worker's comp, no job, no unemployment, no medical coverage (except for injury), and no money. Is this true???!!! I was also informed that not finishing the school year is like a black mark and no one will ever hire me again, especially for a WC case.

In addition, I don't know how going through this pain will help me recover for the rest of the school year or for next year, either at this school or at a new school. I am also dealing with accusations of a fraudulent WC claim, no legal actions, but rumors, and students intent on getting me back out of the classroom.

Suggestions?

It may depend on whether your disability was based on a full year or partial year wages. It also depends on whether you will be temporarily disabled.
With all your issues you should seek legal representation.
Contact your union as they often have experienced legal services available for members.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

At what point do they decide if I have a temporary disability?

How would I find out if they based my disability on full or partial years wages? I get weird vibes or reactions when I ask questions.

that would be based on medical evidence; either the treating doctor or a Qualified Medical Examiner would give their opinion.

they are required to send a benefit notice with your initial TTD payment.
it should state the Average Weekly Wage used and your resulting TTD rate.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(03-03-2013, 11:27 PM)1171 Wrote: It may depend on whether your disability was based on a full year or partial year wages. It also depends on whether you will be temporarily disabled.
With all your issues you should seek legal representation.
Contact your union as they often have experienced legal services available for members.
your union should have an ombudsmen, and contact a superlawyer who deaks with comp.

I worked as a teacher nine months out of the school yeah before I was injured.

My Ttd continued thru the summer month with my pay being averaged out over 12 months.

I am from Kansas.

It may depend on if you can prove you worked during the summer breaks last years tax w2s will prove this.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

It may depend on if you can prove you worked during the summer breaks last years tax w2s will prove this.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Summer Pay for Injured Teacher? Footster 5 12,795 07-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Last Post: cjs
  Back to School poppy 0 2,031 07-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Last Post: poppy
  While u r out on WC can you go to school and will wc pay for it Rahdib 6 8,382 08-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Missouri teacher lunker 2 4,258 05-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Last Post: 1171