Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
acdf and shoulder surgery
Hi Everyone, I am a newbie here. I am 44 year old. I was hoping I could get some info. and support about my issue. I was injured in 2010. I had two surgeries. One for my shoulder the other an acdf on four levels. I just had my ppd rating on the 11th of January. I am still waiting for the %. Although the rating doctor did say my % would be very high. I am now receiving 787.oo every two weeks for ttd. It has just changed to voc rehab at the same amount. I know there is a formula that takes age, wages, and percentage into account. Can anybody help me with this. I beleive my % for my neck is 50% and my shoulder 10%. I also would like to know what to expect at this time just being rated. I have dealt with this issue long enough and have been getting this amount for ttd for a year. Where am I at. And yes I do have an attorney. I just feel better when I speak directly to those whom have gone through it personally. Thank you.

welcome to our home.......50 on your neck? thats hi was it a failed fusion? Mercy are you going back to work or are you permantly retired?
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(01-23-2013, 07:35 PM)jayne Wrote: welcome to our home.......50 on your neck? thats hi was it a failed fusion? Mercy are you going back to work or are you permantly retired?

I had two bulging disc and radioculopathy, impingement on my nerves to the spine along with other issues. Not to mention the surgery to my shoulder where they shaved my bone and added an anchor, and fixed a tear under the rotator cuff. I believe they procrastinated for two years by trying to only provide p.t and with time doing the same hard manual labor it injured me even more so. I am able to return to work with permanent modifications. I actually received a letter from my employer today that they will work with me. However the still require me to be able to do the same work load which my doctor will not sign off to. I know my limits and I cannot perform this job any longer. So the future is not certain for me. I would like to know if I am able to obtain ssi or what to do in this case. So many decisions to make.

okay here is the problem your settlement will be based on lost earning potential if you are able to do the same job with no loss of pay they can say no loss and that can mean no money so watch your back.....Now your Dr is your best friend right now his restrictions are law DO NOT EVER break them at work or at home because someone is or could be watching.If you ever break those restrictions the IC could and will say she isnt really that hurt she she did the work she is faking.
Do not ever say I cant do something if you can...IE I cant bend over and touch my knees. You might say instead I cant bend over and touch my knees without pain,that way if someone sees you touch your knees on a good day your okay cuz we all have good and bad days.
Do go ahead and file for your SSDI it can take years to get it some of us were lucky and got it first time around some were not and are still waiting....some are waiting for WC settlement going on 10 years now so our world isnt in a hurry to do anything......

okay here is the problem your settlement will be based on lost earning potential if you are able to do the same job with no loss of pay they can say no loss and that can mean no money so watch your back.....Now your Dr is your best friend right now his restrictions are law DO NOT EVER break them at work or at home because someone is or could be watching.If you ever break those restrictions the IC could and will say she isnt really that hurt she she did the work she is faking.
Do not ever say I cant do something if you can...IE I cant bend over and touch my knees. You might say instead I cant bend over and touch my knees without pain,that way if someone sees you touch your knees on a good day your okay cuz we all have good and bad days.
Do go ahead and file for your SSDI it can take years to get it some of us were lucky and got it first time around some were not and are still waiting....some are waiting for WC settlement going on 10 years now so our world isnt in a hurry to do anything......

(01-23-2013, 11:09 PM)jayne Wrote: okay here is the problem your settlement will be based on lost earning potential if you are able to do the same job with no loss of pay they can say no loss and that can mean no money so watch your back.....Now your Dr is your best friend right now his restrictions are law DO NOT EVER break them at work or at home because someone is or could be watching.If you ever break those restrictions the IC could and will say she isnt really that hurt she she did the work she is faking.

At this time I have to consider what to do with my options. Do I take the offer of starting with four hours working my way towards eight hours a day. The problem is I cannot perform the stripping, buffing, waxing, etc. skills for they are out of my limits physically. There was no modifications for the workload requirements. 2. Take the voca. rehab which I am entitled to 18 months worth. This creates a problem as I live in a very small town of about six thousand people. We do not have any form of colleges, university, and or training facility here. The nearest would be a three hour round trip from here. 3. I take the voca. buyout. I would like to know how I can apply for SSDI. I have never spoken to my lawyer about this possibility. I did perform my FCE just fine, but when it came to the weight and above the shoulders, that was absolutely a no no. I have a huge portion of my range of motion gone. All four ways. I dont even drive out of town due to I cannot turn to see unless I move my whole torso along with my neck. Is there a formula where I can calculate my loss of earnings or ppd award?

I know in my state (wi) my rating for my hip and muscle loss to leg was 25%, in which caculated to roughly $48,000.. If that helps.... Dont know if it calculates differently in your state..

As far as your work goes, If your dr does not agree with what your duties are, dont do them.. Stick by what your dr says only no matter what.. Like you said, retraining may be hard for you to do with your location.. I dont know your back ground, do you have a high school diploma, any further schooling/training....? This all plays a role on retraining, and could be an option and should be discussed with your attorney.. I went out on my own and seeked a vacational expert who directed me to a guy at our local colledge to do some pre entery colledge tests.. Even though I graduated 26 years ago i needed so much brush up work before I could enrole.. They considered me un re trainable due to meds and injuries..

Lots of cervical injuries on this forum. Mine was a one level ACDF done in 2011. The level above the fusion now has problems.

Anytime you can get Vocational Rehabilitation Services, take it. This gives you a chance to retrain for a better job or start your own business.

College course can be taken online where little or no travel in involved. There will be a trip to the campus to enroll and the bookstore to pickup your books.

My daughter attends college through a Voc Rehab program, her books & tution are paid for, she receives a check monthly for travel expenses. In some cases a person can receive living expenses.

I worked at a local community college for 10 years and was enrolled in courses while working with much of the courses being online.

(01-24-2013, 08:54 AM)Bummer Knees Wrote: Lots of cervical injuries on this forum. Mine was a one level ACDF done in 2011. The level above the fusion now has problems.

Anytime you can get Vocational Rehabilitation Services, take it. This gives you a chance to retrain for a better job or start your own business.

College course can be taken online where little or no travel in involved. There will be a trip to the campus to enroll and the bookstore to pickup your books.

My daughter attends college through a Voc Rehab program, her books & tution are paid for, she receives a check monthly for travel expenses. In some cases a person can receive living expenses.

I worked at a local community college for 10 years and was enrolled in courses while working with much of the courses being online.
I would like to perhaps do something on line. I do feel however since I graduated 25 years ago I will need to attend refresher courses with all subjects. Then again we would like to move to where the population is more than just 6000. Im waiting to hear from my doctor about his decision about my employers offer of returning to work.

(01-24-2013, 02:51 AM)bronco54501 Wrote: I know in my state (wi) my rating for my hip and muscle loss to leg was 25%, in which caculated to roughly $48,000.. If that helps.... Dont know if it calculates differently in your state..

As far as your work goes, If your dr does not agree with what your duties are, dont do them.. Stick by what your dr says only no matter what.. Like you said, retraining may be hard for you to do with your location.. I dont know your back ground, do you have a high school diploma, any further schooling/training....? This all plays a role on retraining, and could be an option and should be discussed with your attorney.. I went out on my own and seeked a vacational expert who directed me to a guy at our local colledge to do some pre entery colledge tests.. Even though I graduated 26 years ago i needed so much brush up work before I could enrole.. They considered me un re trainable due to meds and injuries..

My background is a GED/equivalent. I have no prior cert. or training. I was always a home maker raising my family. I am not sure if it is best to accept a buyout as we anticipate moving in the future. As my attorney expressed even if I did take the voca. training it would not even be enough time to receive an AA degree. What is your thought on this. I really have entered to the hard decisions at this time. And the wc attorney has appealed the percentage for my shoulder. You would think they would of worried about the four level acdf.

Take care of that neck, no matter which chose you choose. Protect it and treat it like a little baby from now on.
My first cervical injury was in 2001, and had to deal with trying to get surgrey untill 2003, In 2003 I have a single level acdf. c5-c6 level. With hardware and I was rated a couple years later at 21 percent. While I was off work with that injury I did apply for SSDI and I was turned down. I did not fight the denial at that time. I was off work for 18 months, was forced to return to work. I had to work to feed myself and wife and 2 children. I went back to work and 1 month later I injured my low back, I have 3 bad disc in the low back. The s1 disc had desentegrated the l5 is allmost as bad as the s1, and my l3 is ruptured. But I continued to work like that. In 2008 I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted for the lumbar injury, I need to have a 4 level fusion for the low back. Which dr's will not do. I am being told if I would have a 4 level fusion that i would be worse than I am today. Also have been told if I did have a 4 level fusion for the lumbar that I would be walking around like I have a steel pipe shoved up my ass, god knows that sounds awful. In 2009 I again applied for SSD, this time I was approved It took me 6 months to get approved. At the same time I was applying for SSDI the hardware in my cervical fusion had shifted because one of the screws came loose and I had to have a cervical fusion revision. When they went in for the revision they found the disc above and the disc below the fusion was weak and gone so they took out 2 more cervical disc and now I have a 3 level cervical fusion. C4-C5-C6 and C7 are all fused together with hardware and 8 screws this time to hold it in place. My SSDI approval date is one month after my last cervical surgrey. So what ever you do protect that neck and always beaware that you may have to have more cervical surgrey down the road. After the 3 level fusion was done, I was again rated for percent of disability and I now have a 28 percent disability on my neck and a 25 percent on my lumbar. I have 2 wc claims and we are in the middle of trying to settle and here in this state when it is all said and done I will not walk away with much money for the indemnity. If I settle my future medical and add all the future medical money and the indemnity dollars together then there might be a few dollars to leave for my wife and kids. That would only be if I do not have anymore surgrey down the road. We all know that would be a gamble.
Cervical Fusion 2003, c5-c6. Herniated and damaged Disc L1- L4-L5 S1. Lumbar Spinal Cord stimulator implant 09-2008. Cervical ACDF revision with hardware c4-c5-c6-c7 Sept 2009.
SSDI approved 3-2010. NOW OFFICIALY RETIRED

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recovering from shoulder surgery Bummer Knees 3 3,376 07-24-2020, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Lewis-H
  Starting massage therapy after the ACDF Bummer Knees 7 10,644 04-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
Sad Sooo nervous, shoulder surgery Wednesday NVworker 5 4,720 05-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Last Post: jayne