Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How does the mind handle constant pain?
I did pool back in 2011 and it really did help me to be able to move better. But it only helped so much. This time I can tell it is not going to be as easy and only have a few visits isn't going to help. Before I did 3 times a week for 18 weeks and this time since they will only bill medicare I get 8 visits. Don't think it is going to be enough to really do much good. If WC was smart they would just pay the $30 a month for a membership so I could go when I wanted. But this way they pay over $200 a visit. If it wasn't for Oxy I'd not be moving at all right now

(01-29-2013, 11:25 PM)bronco54501 Wrote: Milo,
Im not sure how to reply to your post, maybe I shouldnt even reply.. As far as me stating they say its all in your head, I was referring to some of the drs beliefs... I know its not all in my head (my logic), and I do understand what real pain is...trust me.. I never stated I could just block it out, all I'm saying when all my efforts to controll it fails with medication, I need to be alone and try to block everything or every one out because its safer for them....

I nearly broke half my body, Head injury, 14 broklen ribs, torn rotor cup, shattered and dislocated hip, broke upper and lower pubic bones, open book fracture to the pelvis meaning the left side was completely detatched from spine including the si joint and many fractures within the pelvis.. As far as tooth aches, pack your mouth full of crushed ice and after the cold effect subsides with the exposed nerves, do it again, and again and again... I've lived it, i know, but one thing is everyone has different pain tollerences and deal differently to help it..

And after the surgeries to correct this I am left with almost 40 screws and a train track through out my pelvis almost hip to hip with my si joint fused.. It has reflected the angle of my spine, l4-l5--l5-s1, nerve inpingment, buldging discs, facets are rubbibg... I live daily with left leg nerve pain, muscle cramps/spasms all the way down to my big toe, and like you said feels like a nerve root in your mouth...

Dont even try to say I dont know the meaning of pain......

(01-29-2013, 10:47 PM)Milo Wrote:
(01-20-2013, 06:48 AM)Stormy Wrote: I escaped by planning my eventual suicide if I didn't get relief. Not like eating pills but made to look like an accident so life insurance would still pay out and my wife wouldn't feel like I abondoned her. Maybe that was my happy place. The thought of knowing that working on the car with the garage door closed would make it go away was sort of empowering. I liked to imagine sitting there, breathing steadily while things went kind of fuzzy and my pain eased away till I was left with just a heavy drowsiness and warmth and then a sense of slowly falling down, down, down then nothing.

Hmmm now that I type it out I'm pretty sure I was just fantisizing about going to sleep like a normal person. How about them apples.

Oh and in answer to the OP no I'm def not the same. I feel like I could be the world champ in staring contests but if you ask me to balance my checkbook I'd have a nervous breakdown.

And here it is, this is what I am talking about. The pain is so great for only some of us and I see alot w/ meds that work 24 hours a day and more meds to help them sleep. Stormy I will look at your history, and help where I can but I was there, where noone else can relate, "and it just pisses you of when they say stupid stuff".

Them apples? Did you come upon one in a few managable days? This is the pain I am talking about. DOCTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We live in hell of our own bodies, without escape except eternal damnation.

I was Very Lucky Tulsa OK, OK Surg Hosp. Saved my life, still undertreated, but managable w/ 3 hydros, when most of you are probly on 3 Contins. a day. for LESS pain.

My heart goes to you storm, you have my reccommendations, use my name.

(01-20-2013, 11:23 AM)bronco54501 Wrote: Like they say, it's all in our heads... Pain can be so controlling taking over all our thoughts, somedays its hard to think of anything possitive to live for.. On them days I just need to be alone, perferably a dark room and complete silence.. I have thought about ways to end the pain permanetly and eventually my kids come to my mind..

I try just about anything to lighten my pain and end the dull feeling in my head.. If we let the pain win our brains are just going to become mush, I believe if we dont try to use them, challange them its just going to get worse.. I browse the web, play games that you dont have much time to think before you decide your move.. Watch a tv show that keeps you on your edge, and not dr phill either you will probably grow angry.. Pick a good clean argument with your spouse, not hatefull, talk about Obama.. Depending on my mood, I will turn on some country music and just sit and relax.... And I try to do this in between taking care of a 2 yr old that usually keeps me on my toes anyways.. And if all else fails Im sure they got another pill to give us.....

Your response, is a failure to what real pain is. sorry bronco, I wish it was only in my head or could be massaged out or distracted. Sorry, but I truly hope my disability outrates yours for what I have endured compared to your," I can block it out"

So here is a post I will bookmark for a bad day!
But that's what I feel like I am MUSH , Used to love POGO, just cant. Word games like hell I cant even remember the name, cant, I think I would like to bowl, but wouldn't that cause problems, 6 mo post op
But that's what I feel like I am MUSH , Used to love POGO, just cant. Word games like hell I cant even remember the name, cant, I think I would like to bowl, but wouldn't that cause problems, 6 mo post op
May my personal experience help others. No question is stupid.

I am about to take a Bio Feedback study that somehow plays a part in having your mind interact with your pain. Something like that. If anyone has had it please enlighten me Smile. I go on March 1st
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

things I could do at my job easily, I have a real hard time thinking of what I am doing, I am a electrician, and thinking is a must at doing my job right, for everything to work, doing it right the first time is a must to make the employer money, and do it efficiently for the customer to be happy and satisfied with or work,
a mind is a terrible thing to waste Smile

I've never heard of that study. If it has anything to do with pain and how our minds deal with it I would be very interested. I can tell you it's hard to keep my mind on any task now even on a good day. When I'm in bad pain it impossible.

I go March 1st. Ill let you know
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

I did bio feedback for 'stress' years ago and it was amazing. When the body is stressed your hands and feet get cooler than your body in response to a "fight or flight" signal from the brain. When you are getting ready to do either one of those you need more blood to your heart and large muscles. When you are relaxed everything is more evenly distributed. I learned in bio feedback that I could listen to my baby screaming her head off, burn dinner, or have a fight with the ex and have no stress response, but walking from one end of my house to the other caused my stress response (they gave me a little ring to wear on my thumb that measured my thumb temp.) to go crazy. What they found out was I wasn't crazy or a depressed housewife that I was in legitimate pain (eventually found out I had a herniated disc). I lived in a town that didn't have an MRI machine at the time. They wanted me to do the bio feedback thing first. What I have to say though is that they taught me so much about controlling my body in terms of being able to relax. I cannot tell you what a wonderful tool it has been for my whole life since. I know that I can reduce pain, deal with it better when I use the techniques I was taught. My experience though is that we are talking about the level of pain my body is being asked to deal with. This last accident I had put me over the top. I am so excited to hear feedback from you. I am a firm believer that our minds are SO powerful and that if we can direct our thoughts in certain ways we can improve anything that is going on with our bodies. I read a documented study one time of a guy who cured himself of cancer with imagery. Now granted I am sure he was the exception and not the rule. But it, and my experience with the little bit of biofeedback I have had I work hard at having as good a positive mental attitude as I can manage. But unfortunately pain takes me past my ability to make my body do what I want it to. Like relaxing. Piece of cake...except when the pain is off the chart. My aqua therapists are always making comments to me though about how I self correct. I hunch my shoulders as a pain response but because of the bio feedback I have done I catch it immediately and tell my body to relax and it does. Problem is that I can "catch" myself a hundred times a day some days. I believe that the problem with "some pain" is a cycle. Pain, tense muscles, inflammation, swelling, pain, tense muscles,inflammation, swelling. Being able to relax while in the pain can sometimes help to break the cycle. Pain has a mind of it's own though and we can't stop it. Can't wait to hear back from you PLEASE let us all know how it goes from beginning to end..

Thank you Debra
I had an initial visit and she pretty much determined that I do not have a high stress level outside of my pain. I will be curious to see if this could indeed help.
I raise my shoulders all the time in pain response but when i lower them my pain just shifts to behind my neck.
Thanks again
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

(01-20-2013, 06:48 AM)Stormy Wrote: I escaped by planning my eventual suicide if I didn't get relief. Not like eating pills but made to look like an accident so life insurance would still pay out and my wife wouldn't feel like I abondoned her. Maybe that was my happy place. The thought of knowing that working on the car with the garage door closed would make it go away was sort of empowering. I liked to imagine sitting there, breathing steadily while things went kind of fuzzy and my pain eased away till I was left with just a heavy drowsiness and warmth and then a sense of slowly falling down, down, down then nothing.

Hmmm now that I type it out I'm pretty sure I was just fantisizing about going to sleep like a normal person. How about them apples.

Oh and in answer to the OP no I'm def not the same. I feel like I could be the world champ in staring contests but if you ask me to balance my checkbook I'd have a nervous breakdown.

i hear you and understand...the pain can be so bad...i now have to find what dr to go to for rotator cuff, neck ,arm, back and knee pain...hard to sleep...have to take vicodin or oxycotin...to drift off...we will fight mr stormy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How.to handle.supervisor causing hostile work enviroment Disappointed state employee 3 2,039 12-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Last Post: RootsGal
  AM I losing my mind? tamiandreson 18 12,256 02-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Milo
  not in claim how to handle nauticalgurl1 1 2,695 11-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Last Post: 1171
  How should this be handle janbean04 9 4,960 06-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Last Post: hurt at work
  surgeon changed his mind snuffy66 16 9,230 05-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Last Post: sparkey
  I have made up my mind jayne 16 11,264 04-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Pooh