Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scheduled Award-Waste of time?
Is it a waste of time filing for a scheduled award for an old OTJ injury? My surgeon says that I am at maximum medical improvement, and that I am 100% (as good as new), for a torn rotator cuff repair from 2005. It has really been bothering me lately and I know it will be a waste of time going back to him; can I get a second opinion from another doctor? I see a lot of people go to the Ellis Clinic? Even though that is not close to me, would it be beneficial to go there, or to another doctor that understands the system, and the proper paperwork that needs to be submitted? Now I have to have this knee surgery for and OTJ injury, and from everything that I read the miniscus repair leaves your knee less than 100%, so I will once again be faced with the inability to file for a SA for that because the surgeon does not understand the paperwork, or refuses to fill it out according to the guidlines that must be used. Thoughts, suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

what is your state?

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Sorry, first time user here. Well, I work in the State of Kentucky, but live in Southern Indiana (right across the river). My injuries occured while at work in KY.
Thanks

yes you can get a second opinion.
i have not been to the Ellis Clinic.
what is an "SA"?

what I think you are asking is "how valuable are the additional benefits once you've collected wage replacement and medical from a kentucky work injury?"

of course neither I nor any one can predict the amount you might be entitled to.
I can tell you that permanent impairment is based on how completely you have recovered from the effect of the injury.
pain is not include in such a determination.
the physician evaluates your functional recovery e.g. motion, flexibility, atrophy, power, etc and within very specific guidelines, documents the weakness with a rating of from 0 ( completely normal) to 100% (unable to function at all).
the percentage is multiplied by the number of weeks assigned by the work comp law according to the part of the body injured and the result in weeks is your permanent disability entitlement.

read the guidebook found here:
http://www.labor.ky.gov/workersclaims/Pa...tions.aspx
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(12-13-2012, 10:29 PM)Tmanpaige Wrote: Now I have to have this knee surgery for and OTJ injury, and from everything that I read the miniscus repair leaves your knee less than 100%, so I will once again be faced with the inability to file for a SA for that because the surgeon does not understand the paperwork, or refuses to fill it out according to the guidlines that must be used.

Don't be in such a rush to be disabled. I was not aware that a surgeons inability to process paperwork affected your ability to heal. Concentrate on getting better. It is a healthier approach.

(12-14-2012, 03:46 PM)admin Wrote:
(12-13-2012, 10:29 PM)Tmanpaige Wrote: Now I have to have this knee surgery for and OTJ injury, and from everything that I read the miniscus repair leaves your knee less than 100%, so I will once again be faced with the inability to file for a SA for that because the surgeon does not understand the paperwork, or refuses to fill it out according to the guidlines that must be used.

Don't be in such a rush to be disabled. I was not aware that a surgeons inability to process paperwork affected your ability to heal. Concentrate on getting better. It is a healthier approach.

[/quote]
Actually I came to this forum for advice, not to be degraded by you. I have been a letter carrier for 36 years, suffered several dehabilitating injuries, and have continued to walk 7 miles or more a day. Without drawing one dime of scheduled award money. My problem is with the system that I now must fight with to get my knee surgery, to get paid properly, and then also to deal with the doctors that have no idea how to fill out the ridiculously detailed paperwork that is required by DOL. It is all on me, no help from anyone that should be helping me. I have had to make calls, fill paperwork out the wazoo, and instruct the doctors office how to fill out the paperwork required.
As far as your suggestion to not be in a "rush to be disabled", you know what you can do with that. What an idiotic reply. I certainly do not want to be disabled, nor do I want to perform a job that reders me so. Who are you and why would you post such a cruel and useless reply? Have you ever given your health and your body for a job that requires it on a daily basis? I doubt it. Thanks for nothing.

we do get many here whose primary purpose is trying to count their settlement dollars as soon as possible.
it's very difficult to tell much about the mind of the poster from a few sentences especially when someone is still months away from any recovery and facing much treatment including surgery.
I believe you are jumping to judgement on admin's post as least as much as we might have misunderstood yours.
text is a black and white medium and we need to give it time and context before allowing our emotions and fingers to become inflamed.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

My only point was that you have not yet had the surgery, yet you are asking about a scheduled award. (Its even the title of the post). I have no intention of degrading you. It's just that after almost 14 years of doing this, I am ever more convinced that no one is more responsible for returning to full health than the injured worker themselves. It has far more to do with attitude than a surgeons ability to complete paperwork.

That said, realizing you are in the federal system, I recognize you have some serious process challenges. Still, I firmly believe the emphasis for any injury should be returning to full health rather than scheduled award, which I can only interpret as a settlement payout.

Perhaps I am getting too old and cranky for this.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scheduled award payment approval question. nelenz15 3 1,616 04-04-2017, 12:35 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Can I be Scheduled for Another IME? shefallsdown 3 1,874 01-16-2017, 01:18 PM
  Scheduled for a FCE hurt back 18 11,395 08-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Last Post: hurt back
Rolleyes OWCP open claim against Scheduled award with USPS kacy257 3 5,453 08-13-2012, 07:37 PM
  Scheduled or None Scheduled uww81 4 5,728 04-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Last Post: uww81
  scheduled award acadol9 3 7,988 02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
  Scheduled for my IME... injuredinidaho 3 4,798 05-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Last Post: inpainokla
  benefits AFTER scheduled award - Arizona amputee blove1973 5 8,468 08-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Last Post: observer53
  MRI scheduled missmelody 16 9,182 06-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Last Post: missmelody
  Denial of Scheduled Award ky8ztz 1 4,048 10-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Last Post: ky8ztz