Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
update on my status...do I need another doctor?
Sad 
Hello,

OK so I have a copy of my first MRI, which was taken shortly after my DOA. Now...I have the results of my second MRI, which was taken last week. With both my penchant for research and past medical training, I feel that my herniation has gotten much worse. My neurosurgeon might have screwed me because since I began seeing him I have 24/7 tingling, on and off numbness, cramping that forces me to lay on my side to prevent falling , and horrible leg pain that has caused me to fall 2 times.

I'm 31 years old and I have lots of trouble due to my back injury. I have sleep disturbances, developed curvature in spine due to shifting of weight, and have developed incontinence. I have more left leg weakness, left testicular pain, a horrible deep pain at my L5-S1 disc my pain has been a month long torture session. I hate these people. They really don't care if you're in pain.

So a crooked neurosurgeon dismissing any pain that I have and thinks I'm lying. he can burn in hell for all I care. I am down to one pain management doctor. He's a great doctor but very careful and conservative. Granted, I used to have a drug problem but I have since cleaned up my act. My girlfriend even locks up my medication in a safe. I have learned what I can't have.

Since opiates are so effective, it puts the doctor in an understandably cautious approach. Considering that he's my PM doctor and months later I'm still in a lot of pain speaks for itself. The injections don't help. I have a TENS unit, which I keep it on full blast almost the whole day. I spend a lot of money for 9 volt batteries. And I am prescribed 2 x 10mg /day of Opana ER. This hardly touches the pain.

I hope you are all doing well.

Regards

Was you recent MRI with and without contrast ( a must ).
But yes, you should be seen at a university or tertiary level spine center for evaluation for a re-do decompression. I would assume your PM doc would make the necessary referral.

(11-30-2012, 01:55 AM)lumbar81 Wrote: Hello,

OK so I have a copy of my first MRI, which was taken shortly after my DOA. Now...I have the results of my second MRI, which was taken last week. With both my penchant for research and past medical training, I feel that my herniation has gotten much worse. My neurosurgeon might have screwed me because since I began seeing him I have 24/7 tingling, on and off numbness, cramping that forces me to lay on my side to prevent falling , and horrible leg pain that has caused me to fall 2 times.

I'm 31 years old and I have lots of trouble due to my back injury. I have sleep disturbances, developed curvature in spine due to shifting of weight, and have developed incontinence. I have more left leg weakness, left testicular pain, a horrible deep pain at my L5-S1 disc my pain has been a month long torture session. I hate these people. They really don't care if you're in pain.

So a crooked neurosurgeon dismissing any pain that I have and thinks I'm lying. he can burn in hell for all I care. I am down to one pain management doctor. He's a great doctor but very careful and conservative. Granted, I used to have a drug problem but I have since cleaned up my act. My girlfriend even locks up my medication in a safe. I have learned what I can't have.

Since opiates are so effective, it puts the doctor in an understandably cautious approach. Considering that he's my PM doctor and months later I'm still in a lot of pain speaks for itself. The injections don't help. I have a TENS unit, which I keep it on full blast almost the whole day. I spend a lot of money for 9 volt batteries. And I am prescribed 2 x 10mg /day of Opana ER. This hardly touches the pain.

Regards

delete please thanks billy

My MRI was done without contrast. It sounds so much worse than the MRI from five months ago. I am scared as excrement and even went to ER cause I'm a hypochondriac..

(11-30-2012, 09:38 AM)Cycler Wrote: Was you recent MRI with and without contrast ( a must ).
But yes, you should be seen at a university or tertiary level spine center for evaluation for a re-do decompression. I would assume your PM doc would make the necessary referral.

(11-30-2012, 01:55 AM)lumbar81 Wrote: Hello,

Regards

My own opinion, is that they should have done one with contrast.

You really need to put some time in researching any doctor before you schedule an appointment. Its pretty simple to find out where they went to school and their work history. Luckily I found the neurosurgeon that other surgeons go to when they need a fusion and who had a reputation for being the most conservative. Eventually we agreed that a fusion was the best option. After my initial surgery I still had a lot of pain with activity and numbness in my feet and a later ct scan showed that the hardware was close to nerves and causeing pressure resulting in pain. After a hardware removal I am thrilled with the outcome. Still toss and turn at night because I get uncomfortable but thats a huge difference than being in that constant soul crushing pain. Stay strong and try to get with a doc that you know is your best chance of relief. Takes me an hour and a half to get to mine but it was worth it after reviewing all the local options.

delete please thanks billy

I really wish I could pick my own doctor at this point. Unfortunately, I live in Florida and can only request a change in doctor. They get to pick the doc, not me.

(12-06-2012, 08:59 PM)Stormy Wrote: You really need to put some time in researching any doctor before you schedule an appointment. Its pretty simple to find out where they went to school and their work history. Luckily I found the neurosurgeon that other surgeons go to when they need a fusion and who had a reputation for being the most conservative. Eventually we agreed that a fusion was the best option. After my initial surgery I still had a lot of pain with activity and numbness in my feet and a later ct scan showed that the hardware was close to nerves and causeing pressure resulting in pain. After a hardware removal I am thrilled with the outcome. Still toss and turn at night because I get uncomfortable but thats a huge difference than being in that constant soul crushing pain. Stay strong and try to get with a doc that you know is your best chance of relief. Takes me an hour and a half to get to mine but it was worth it after reviewing all the local options.

Throught my similiar symptoms before fusion, I suffered tremendously. After fusion they started to prescribe Neurontin. This helps the nerve pain, which it sounds like you are suffering from. They never once offered this to me before my fusion. I don't know why. But I speculate that they try not to tell you it could be as serious as it actually is. If they had given me this drug, I just know I wouldn't have suffered as much. Maybe you should ask your pm about it.
May my personal experience help others. No question is stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Help please Was on light duty wc doctor....new doctor out of work till .. Feelbad 6 1,763 01-25-2019, 11:45 PM
Last Post: 1171
  transportation status florida path62 4 1,076 07-21-2018, 04:11 PM
  (CA) My 1st Status Conference, What to Expect? neckpain101 11 10,465 07-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  Status Conference/Adequacy of Settlement California meggieprice 5 3,605 03-20-2018, 07:42 PM
  QME done, 3% WPI, MMI Status, but, working labtech 7 7,785 04-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Last Post: labtech
  Employment Status While on WC neckpain101 14 8,458 09-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Last Post: neckpain101
  Work status given by DR. or FCT Cathy 4 3,955 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Cathy
  Medical Care after MMI Status Newbackie 10 17,110 07-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Where to check schedule award status mlucca1 1 13,112 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM
  Status Conference? down 2 10,185 02-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Last Post: down