Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working while disabled question
Hello all
I have been "deemed" Permanent Partially disabled by NYS. I am receiving the max of 400.00 per week with a 75% rating. This became official back in March of this year. Now My disability has not improved and if anything has worsened. Question I have is that my Vol. Fire Department has been asking me to help out in some driver training on a new very large vehicle that is going into service. I have the knowledge having been a tractor trailer driver and also past NYS certified commercial driver trainer back in the day. They only want an hour or 2 at most a day for maybe 3 days a week and it may take my mind off my pain. I will not receive compensation for this although they did offer it. At first I totally didn't think it would be a wise idea being on PPD and SSD BUT several people tell me they are disabled AND working part time up to 900.00 per month. So can anyone give me some insight how this works. By the way being paid OR volunteering is still "working" in the eyes of Workers Comp

Thanks much
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

you are only partially disabled.
workers comp expects you to return to the work force within your restrctions.
you do not have to act like you are totally disabled when you aren't.
yes you can work.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

It's not about "acting totally disabled" I simply asked a question. I'm not in a position to know if you are indeed acting or playing your injuries so don't be quick to pretend or judge to know how I feel.
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

TPM Bill can work a few hours a week he however cannot drive with a CDL if you are giving training and not driving go for it,I cannot tell you what a difference it makes in Bills attitude being able to go out and do something.He comes home bone tired and right into a hot tub and hurting like hell but a big boost in his attitude.I would give anything to be able to do the same.We called the SS office and cleared it thru them and they told him how much he could make a month he doesnt make anywhere near what he could.Whatever you can do to make you feel better you should do.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

TPM Bill can work a few hours a week he however cannot drive with a CDL if you are giving training and not driving go for it,I cannot tell you what a difference it makes in Bills attitude being able to go out and do something.He comes home bone tired and right into a hot tub and hurting like hell but a big boost in his attitude.I would give anything to be able to do the same.We called the SS office and cleared it thru them and they told him how much he could make a month he doesnt make anywhere near what he could.Whatever you can do to make you feel better you should do.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(11-25-2012, 12:39 PM)tpm Wrote: It's not about "acting totally disabled" I simply asked a question. I'm not in a position to know if you are indeed acting or playing your injuries so don't be quick to pretend or judge to know how I feel.

maybe "acting" was a poor choice of words for your situation.

my meaning might be clearer if i posted it this way:
you do not have to avoid all work when there is some you can do.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(11-25-2012, 01:48 PM)jayne Wrote: TPM Bill can work a few hours a week he however cannot drive with a CDL if you are giving training and not driving go for it,I cannot tell you what a difference it makes in Bills attitude being able to go out and do something.He comes home bone tired and right into a hot tub and hurting like hell but a big boost in his attitude.I would give anything to be able to do the same.We called the SS office and cleared it thru them and they told him how much he could make a month he doesnt make anywhere near what he could.Whatever you can do to make you feel better you should do.

Jayne THANK YOU so much for the response. my wife says I should try to do something and maybe giving these guys some pointers will do it. I don't have my CDL any longer although in NYS you don't need one to drive a fire truck (Crazy!). That said I will still not get behind the wheel because of my meds and range of motion in my neck.
My worry is that WC will make a case because I am out an hour or 2 and think I'm OK. Simply not the case. I don"t know if I am even up to it but would like the opportunity to try
I hope things are improving with you guys and try to enjoy the holidays

And for you 1171 I respect your clarification. I see people all around me that are on SSD and WC still going on fire calls, working other jobs and in my mind simply beating the system. I AM NOT ONE OF THEM and I know they make it harder for the people who are truly hurting and deserving. No hard feelings, enjoy the holidays

Take Care and Be Well
Tom

tpm,
All you can do is try.....

My father was injured on the job back around 1991/92, He took a screwing by wc but he was still able to work for a while... From the injury he has low back problems and now rsd in dominant arm/shoulder.. Through ssa he is alowed to work and make up to a certain amount per month.. He does donate free time just to get the satisfaction of doing somthing that helps him feel needed or fufilled...

As you stated there are many that have ruined the trust/faith of a injured worker.. I can so see where you are comming from about wc trying to play it against you... Every one needs a purpose/hobby why should we just roll up in a ball and die... I say go for it......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Texas IR and working????? bobbehex1 7 3,249 07-10-2016, 12:48 AM
Last Post: 1171
  QME done, 3% WPI, MMI Status, but, working labtech 7 6,777 04-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Last Post: labtech
  Can I really be only 50% disabled? Scaffoldrider 15 8,965 06-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
  SSA Disabled AND Workers comp ganduland 3 4,193 08-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Getting a job on 100% temporary disabled through NYS comp Jodini 3 3,953 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Jodini
  disabled body, disabled life; where to turn, so many questions wanttogetbacktoworkalready 5 7,387 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  disabled plumber in NJ need 2 shoulder replacement gsx99 5 8,690 12-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Last Post: bugmann
  Help on Pernment or partial disabled janet1031 17 15,088 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Working Against Restrictions InjuredWorker2198 2 3,865 04-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Shadow
  SSDI And the letter from your Doctor saying your disabled borninabarn 27 37,214 09-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Last Post: AQA