Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIRED FOR FILING UNEMPLOYMENT
I know it sounds crazy, but while fighting my WC claim, I was placed on "Restricted Duty", so I could go back to work, I just couldn't do heavy, manual labor. When I went in I was told they didn't have any "light duty" & that I'd have to wait until I was completely healed to come back. I had a feeling I was gonna lose my job for filing WC, & I had no money coming in, so I filed unemployment as "employed, but no hours". When they received the paperwork they sent me a message stating "I'm assuming you quit because I got an unemployment packet." I told them I had no intentions of quitting, & I filed because I can't pay my bills...long story short, they fired me because I filed, is that even legal? I know Texas is a "right to work" state, but that just seemed really low, even for them. Any input?

take your evidence to the comp court.
retaliatory behavior for filing a claim is discriminatory and illegal.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(10-20-2012, 11:23 AM)1171 Wrote: take your evidence to the comp court.
retaliatory behavior for filing a claim is discriminatory and illegal.

I thought it was, & I didn't record the conversation or anything, but I've been there for about a 1 1/2 yrs & never been written up, never been late, never even been scolded. I was injured a while back (heat stroke) & they flat-out refused to let me file, but said they would pay my hours so I didn't make a big deal out of it...this time when I was hurt (torn bicep-tendon) I INSISTED I file, even though they highly recommended that I not do it. I have filed, & they've done everything they could do to keep it from going through, including saying it wasn't reported, filing incorrect dates, saying it was pre-existing, etc., then I was called in yesterday & told "You can bring back the company truck, credit card, etc. & get your final check, you shouldn't have filed unemployment." When I told him I had to file because they weren't letting me work, of course he said "Well, we were going to, until you filed." Then, whenever I went to get my check it didn't have my accumulated vacation hours, & we also have a "Christmas Fund" that's taken out of my check every month as sort of a savings that's given back at Christmas time...also not on my check. My supervisor said that the owner of the company would be back next week & that I needed to come in & talk to him about my vacation & Christmas fund. The vacation is time they gave to me after being there a year, but the Christmas fund is taken directly out of my check...surely they can't get away with not paying me??? Thanks for your reply, I'm filing everything I can find to file.

You may need to take the issue with vacation and Christmas pay to the state labor board.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resume after WC/unemployment LilyDot 1 791 05-21-2018, 11:49 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Retaliation for filing JShaner13 1 717 10-06-2017, 03:08 PM
  Denied Unemployment have RESTRICTIONS IL avn 11 3,948 09-19-2017, 03:25 PM
  Unemployment denied chico1960 12 9,545 01-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Last Post: vinga
  PPD/Unemployment chico1960 2 4,033 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Last Post: chico1960
  Forced unemployment??? hurt_teacher 4 4,949 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
Question Unemployment determination lizdawiz82 7 10,717 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Last Post: lizdawiz82
Question unemployment Question lizdawiz82 1 3,477 02-02-2012, 02:06 AM
  when person filing for workers comp dies before settlement tmask 4 10,711 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Last Post: gba2011
  wc. and unemployment qualification bigdavid 9 9,518 09-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Last Post: LeglEgl