Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSA/ Medical Bills
Once again, we are suppose to be nearing settlement. My lawyer had told me not to worry about the Medicare Setaside, Medicare has only paid a couple hundred dollars. This is not true, I showed him a Medicare print out that proves my last surgery for my work related injury had been paid for from Medicare? This leaving me with the 20% balance. the surgery was over 25,0000. I also found thousands of other Medicare statments that should have been covered by WC, my lawyer has not even mentioned this again? I have over 22,000 in debt on my credit report as negative due to the WC IC not paying for many of the medical bills, especially the ones who agree with WC rational. I am lost? We are suppose to go to court on 12/3/2012, I have no idea what to do? This Judge is new to my case, the original Judge retired 7 years into my now almost 8 year case. There were also court orders for a suction machine, this I need so I do not aspirate & potentially die, and a nebulizer, to help my breathing. They were approved back in 2008, after the dx of a paralyzed nerve in my throat related to the two level fusion I had in 2007. I have a doctors order to have a new suction machine, & nebulizer, the new Judge refuses to order these? They are my lifeline. I have never met the new judge, & I am sure my attorney does not represent me well, a mistake hiring him I will have to live with, he has relocated to another state, telling me multiple times he is getting 100,000 no matter what else happens.

It sounds like you need to shop around and see if you can find a new attorney to take over your case. If you are in the settlement process, and a MSA is required then anything paid by Medicare that should of been paid by WC will show up in the MSA process, as Medicare will not intentionaly let is slide through, as they want reimbursed for the amount they pd that should be WC. Don't sweat that part as Medicare will handle that..
But again if it were me I would be looking for a new attorney to take over my claim.
Cervical Fusion 2003, c5-c6. Herniated and damaged Disc L1- L4-L5 S1. Lumbar Spinal Cord stimulator implant 09-2008. Cervical ACDF revision with hardware c4-c5-c6-c7 Sept 2009.
SSDI approved 3-2010. NOW OFFICIALY RETIRED

(10-19-2012, 01:17 AM)maxxer2012 Wrote: Once again, we are suppose to be nearing settlement. My lawyer had told me not to worry about the Medicare Setaside, Medicare has only paid a couple hundred dollars. This is not true, I showed him a Medicare print out that proves my last surgery for my work related injury had been paid for from Medicare? This leaving me with the 20% balance. the surgery was over 25,0000. I also found thousands of other Medicare statments that should have been covered by WC, my lawyer has not even mentioned this again? I have over 22,000 in debt on my credit report as negative due to the WC IC not paying for many of the medical bills, especially the ones who agree with WC rational. I am lost? We are suppose to go to court on 12/3/2012, I have no idea what to do? This Judge is new to my case, the original Judge retired 7 years into my now almost 8 year case. There were also court orders for a suction machine, this I need so I do not aspirate & potentially die, and a nebulizer, to help my breathing. They were approved back in 2008, after the dx of a paralyzed nerve in my throat related to the two level fusion I had in 2007. I have a doctors order to have a new suction machine, & nebulizer, the new Judge refuses to order these? They are my lifeline. I have never met the new judge, & I am sure my attorney does not represent me well, a mistake hiring him I will have to live with, he has relocated to another state, telling me multiple times he is getting 100,000 no matter what else happens.

I would agree with C_F, I would be finding a new attorney... The back medical bills that are left unpaid will haunt your credit... This should be resolved before you go into settlment agreements... Just about 2 months ago I had signed papers for my attorney to get a list of all unpaid medical bills from places of service.. I had soon found out that my state funded ins covered over 600,000 in that wc should have paid for.. We have filed for hearing to get this paid for as well as back pay owed.. I was told if thie medical bills are not paid for I would be responsable for any unpaid bills...

(10-19-2012, 01:17 AM)maxxer2012 Wrote: Once again, we are suppose to be nearing settlement. My lawyer had told me not to worry about the Medicare Setaside, Medicare has only paid a couple hundred dollars. This is not true, I showed him a Medicare print out that proves my last surgery for my work related injury had been paid for from Medicare? This leaving me with the 20% balance. the surgery was over 25,0000. I also found thousands of other Medicare statments that should have been covered by WC, my lawyer has not even mentioned this again? I have over 22,000 in debt on my credit report as negative due to the WC IC not paying for many of the medical bills, especially the ones who agree with WC rational. I am lost? We are suppose to go to court on 12/3/2012, I have no idea what to do? This Judge is new to my case, the original Judge retired 7 years into my now almost 8 year case. There were also court orders for a suction machine, this I need so I do not aspirate & potentially die, and a nebulizer, to help my breathing. They were approved back in 2008, after the dx of a paralyzed nerve in my throat related to the two level fusion I had in 2007. I have a doctors order to have a new suction machine, & nebulizer, the new Judge refuses to order these? They are my lifeline. I have never met the new judge, & I am sure my attorney does not represent me well, a mistake hiring him I will have to live with, he has relocated to another state, telling me multiple times he is getting 100,000 no matter what else happens.

So how long ago had your surgery taken place?

Medicare Set Aside value is based only upon the costs incurred related to your injury over the most previous 2 YEARS. They DO NOT go back to the original point of injury.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Workers Comp Disputing Medical Bills gamora77 1 870 03-15-2019, 11:22 PM
Last Post: 1171
  settlement and Medical Bills akthompson725 11 3,181 03-17-2018, 11:55 PM
  TN Who pays medical bills when you win state appeal of caae? Dotdot126 1 1,829 11-03-2015, 01:45 AM
  California bills to help injured workers California_Help 0 3,108 04-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  payment of medical bills with settlement funds flyin89t 12 15,329 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Last Post: bagpussinamerica
  Paying medical bills Ash 3 2,978 06-01-2012, 02:30 AM
  denied workers comp claim, now paying medical bills kylecalifornia 7 19,090 12-20-2011, 12:18 AM
Last Post: chrischris
  Medical Bills devil#kitty 1 2,858 05-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kate
  Worker's Compensation, PI, and Bills chicagoHdiscs 14 13,195 11-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Cost of Medical Bills vs. Settlement chicagoHdiscs 1 5,595 09-25-2010, 07:38 PM