Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Percentage herniated discs w/depression NJ
Okay, I know that every case is different, and there is no way to get an exact number, but I'm just trying to get a ball park of percentage total injury for a NJ work comp case. I have been waiting a long time just to get to my first court appearance, and I wanted to see what others thought. Here is what I have:
2 cervical herniated discs that they are strongly recommending surgery (I do not want to do a fusion) with loss of use of non-dominate arm and hand. Shoulder soft tissue injury with no RC tears (bursitus and inflammation on the MRI). I have had significant depression (confirmed by WC doctor as well) with an aggravation of a previous anxiety issue.

Would anyone venture a guess?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Also, thank you to everyone who has contributed on this site. It has been a great reference for me Smile

depends which 2 as each one controls different parts of the body.You havent said anything about cervical headaches so count yourself a very lucky person.Surgery is a last option as I havent spoke to anyone who has had a good outcome to a cervical fusion to include myself.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

c4/c5 and c5/c6. The headaches are not that bad for me, and yes I count myself very very lucky. I try to look at the positive now instead of the negative (that's the best we can all do, right?).

The compression does cause some moderate numbness in the hand and arm.

Does this help at all with a guesstimate?

Once again, any help would be appreciated Smile
Oh, and I tried the cervical epidural steroid injections, and they only worked for a week each (that's why they want to cut me open, but I'm still saying no).

(10-16-2012, 11:03 AM)samistheman Wrote: c4/c5 and c5/c6. The headaches are not that bad for me, and yes I count myself very very lucky. I try to look at the positive now instead of the negative (that's the best we can all do, right?).

The compression does cause some moderate numbness in the hand and arm.

Does this help at all with a guesstimate?

Once again, any help would be appreciated Smile
Oh, and I tried the cervical epidural steroid injections, and they only worked for a week each (that's why they want to cut me open, but I'm still saying no).

what rating guidelines does new jersey use?
it's difficult enough with one body part but is impossible try to combine multiple ones
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

In NJ, they use their own schedule of disability (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/forms_p...hedule.pdf for year 2011). Is there another general guideline that other states use?

(10-16-2012, 11:37 AM)samistheman Wrote: In NJ, they use their own schedule of disability (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/forms_p...hedule.pdf for year 2011). Is there another general guideline that other states use?

that's the payment conversion table not the rating guide.
you need to know how the doctors determine the impairment percentage; what standards, measurements, factors are used to calculate the original rating.
there are a number of rating guides or systems. some states use their own. others use the AMA or others the ODG.
ratings are very complex.
have you discussed this with your doctor or atty?
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Okay for the failed surgery for the same discs on me they offered 3 thousand dollars.Then I got to go a year with no money from them whatsoever while we fought that.If you refuse surgery they will put you at MMI and close out your case,if you allow the surgery one by one your discs will fail from the weight of the ones you fuse the Drs or the lawyers win here you lose either way.As a failed cervical fusion patient I will tell you I got less than a week of relief from the headaches and I believe that was from the heavy duty drugs given during and after the surgery NOT the surgery there are several of us on here that have had this same surgery,Cervical fusion,Bummer knees ask them both they will tell you the same stay out of the surgery room if you can.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Thank you Jayne. You have made me feel better about refusing the surgery at least. Half of the doctors are really pushing it on me, but I had a distant (non-blood) family member who had the surgery and had some major issues (staff infection/etc). I did do one epidural steroid injection, and got relief for 1 week. Not worth the risk if you ask me. I am going to wait to be out of WC and then try a really good chiropractor (the WC carrier allowed 5 visits to their chiropractor and it seemed to help just as much as the steroid injection without the possibility of puncturing my spinal cord).

And for 1171's comments, I guess I will get with my attny about that. Right now he is fighting a claim of depression for me. It seems that the lawyers from the insurance's side seem to think that it is unusual for people to fall into depression when they get a debilitating injury and can no longer function fully the same or sleep the same.

If I get any updates, I will post them. Thank you all for your help, and I hope you all get some comfort soon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So your doctor says you have a herniated or bulging disc California_Help 5 629 02-28-2020, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Jmrbutlerbey
  Pain-depression tinainky 4 859 01-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Last Post: tinainky
  possible rating percentage cmannas 17 9,401 08-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Settling a lifetime medical on a herniated disc claim Peanut 2 4,515 06-13-2016, 07:15 PM
  epidural injections for herniated disc? nurse83 22 41,018 04-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Last Post: pattik1130
  Herniated Discs DRT 4 2,593 04-01-2016, 12:38 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  link between Chronic Pain and Depression 1171 5 5,196 08-02-2014, 01:38 AM
Exclamation 20yo lumbar herniated disc and losing my mind Rojersca 15 16,855 06-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Manley2
Exclamation Feel like I do not have any hope/depression 052614 42 31,365 06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
  depression added to injury amysue69 2 3,887 02-12-2014, 12:05 AM
Last Post: chrischris