Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had back surgery at 20yrs old from work injury! Help please!!!
Hello,
I fell at work about 6 months ago on the stairs. The cleaning lady mopped and didn't put the sign out that the floor was wet... I injured my lower back, 3 disc are injured and I have bad sciatic nerve problems in my left leg. I had a micro-disectomy about a month ago and I still have NO relief. Dr. made it sound as if I should of had immediate relief from the nerve pain which is the worst part of the injury. During surgery doc found a bone spur as well. I'm not too sure what that means either, he said its a sign of aging I just turned 21! I don't want to be on meds the rest of my life either. I've been off work for about the same length I'm in Indiana. I'm in college and just want to get my life back. To me my back is only going to get worse as I age. How fair is this to me?? I have never met a case nurse yet either, but I'm sure that's a good thing. If anyone has any advise for me I would really appreciate it! Yes I do have an attorney... Thank you!
21 yr old female in Indiana. Left L5,S1 herniated disc w/ nerve root sleeve compression. Micro-Disectomy for L5,S1 left sciatica nerve impingement. Workers Comp SUCKS!

(10-01-2012, 10:03 PM)brandy23_32 Wrote: Hello,
I fell at work about 6 months ago on the stairs. The cleaning lady mopped and didn't put the sign out that the floor was wet... I injured my lower back, 3 disc are injured and I have bad sciatic nerve problems in my left leg. I had a micro-disectomy about a month ago and I still have NO relief. Dr. made it sound as if I should of had immediate relief from the nerve pain which is the worst part of the injury. During surgery doc found a bone spur as well. I'm not too sure what that means either, he said its a sign of aging I just turned 21! I don't want to be on meds the rest of my life either. I've been off work for about the same length I'm in Indiana. I'm in college and just want to get my life back. To me my back is only going to get worse as I age. How fair is this to me?? I have never met a case nurse yet either, but I'm sure that's a good thing. If anyone has any advise for me I would really appreciate it! Yes I do have an attorney... Thank you!
even though you are post surgery and the best time to get a second opinion is before surgery think about getting another opinion before you give up on the doctors.
you can't take away what's already happened. serious injury takes many months to recover from. you might be expecting too much too soon.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

It is unusual for someone your age to have back surgery, frankly I'm surprised (well maybe not) it was recommended. The better time for a 2nd opinion would have been before letting someone dive in and remove parts of your anatomy.

Nerve damage can take months to heal. While it is normal for there to be good leg pain relief right after the surgery, you might be one of the cases where it takes longer. There are other reasons too, like the pain generator was not what was operated on (a different disc, for example).

Here's my advise: Be patient, these things can take time. If you aren't on lyrica or gabapentin, you might want to ask about one of those. They are useful for nerve pain. If you are and are still very symptomatic, maybe your dose needs adjusting.

You also need to stay active. No marathons or contact sports until your doctor says it is OK, but walking for now is good. Since you are 21, I'm wondering if you aren't doing too much too soon.

Finally, you need to have the right mindset. Maybe for a while this is going to hurt, but with therapy and exercising, it should improve. Worrying about your back getting worse is pretty needless, since everyone's back is going to age, and with that comes degeneration, osteophytes (your bone spur) herniations, etc. Most people don't even know all of that stuff is happening. Heck, around 10% of 20 year olds have some of that stuff, and most of them don't know that either. Be realistic about your situation, not overly pessimistic.

Thank you for the replies.. I understand I need to be more patient about the situation its just difficult for me to grasp what is all going on still.. I plan on getting a second opinion soon if dr. tries to put me at MMI any time soon. Just not sure what kind of stuff to expect I guess.
21 yr old female in Indiana. Left L5,S1 herniated disc w/ nerve root sleeve compression. Micro-Disectomy for L5,S1 left sciatica nerve impingement. Workers Comp SUCKS!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Virginia Work Comp/ Forced surgery Kedward7 4 1,598 04-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Who pays for surgery if work comp is denied Dayneliski 3 3,107 02-27-2018, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Cashiered Too
  Hurt back at work.I feel I should get a better deal than what my lawyer is saying Alex26 5 2,124 10-08-2017, 12:05 AM
  surgery soon...can I claim a past injury report from a past employer raymo55 4 1,949 09-28-2017, 03:52 PM
  Need suggestions from work injury Kman3605 3 1,773 09-28-2017, 11:36 AM
  North Carolina Back Injury HurtCarolina 1 1,229 07-07-2017, 01:49 AM
  Which doctor can send me back to work-Kansas no1nurse2 4 2,555 11-15-2016, 01:04 PM
  RSD/CRPS from work injury DMP1983 2 4,587 06-16-2016, 12:11 AM
  Back at work but now issued P& S with perm. Restrictions Worriedgirl 52 19,688 05-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Is it legal to be obligated to use my paid vacation/sick off for work related injury? linwan 2 5,236 04-15-2016, 03:55 PM
Last Post: MarylandWorkInjuryLawyer