Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good news/bad news, hell who knows
Just got back from 4 hour round trip to mgt doc. They think either all the nerves in my shoulder are compressed (pinched) which if that is the case they have been for almost a year OR that I have a nice little case of carpal tunnel going since most of my hand is numb and has been for almost a year.

If it's carpal tunnel then they don't know where the pain and lack of ROM is coming from in my shoulder.

Just gonna chop the whole arm off and be done with it I think lmao. I was in MUCH better shape BEFORE the damn shoulder surgery but it had to be done as the rotator cuff was completely torn Sad

Sorry, just needed to gripe for a minute, now I'm over it (I hope) Smile

Hope y'all had a good day I may go to town or something for awhile.

Hey Monster after this week I am with you on chopping the arm off (mine)

Had the surgery a week ago today and it has been a week.

Drove the other day for the first time and just about did not make it home due to the pain and trying to keep the head clear.

It is odd how problems with one body part effect the others.

I was hoping to hear you would be in less pain. I'm sorry to hear you aren't Sad Hope fully soon and I'm praying for a good outcome for you.

I am with both of you. I had the ulnar nerve transposition done on June 14th... a little over 3 months ago. Still no improvement in my hand with tingling and numbness, and now I can add in lack of use (total weakness). I never know when I will be holding something in my left hand and it will just drop out of the blue to the floor, table, bed... what ever I happen to be at, at the time.

Received my first stellate ganglion block on Tuesday the 18th... made them put me under or I would have totally freaked seeing a needle coming at me neck. Now I have a sore throat, cough, lower back pain (aggravated some how by the shot) and even more weakness in my entire arm and no relief from the pain in elbow and up the back of my arm. Been getting by on about 2 hours of sleep a night in the bed, but crash at the computer desk off and on all day which aggravates my arm even more.

Just like you BK... driving is a real challenge.. even though I don't have anything near the distance you do to stores and such around town.

The 9th of October should be real fun when I have to drive back to Ft. Worth for my 2nd block. I can't eat anything 8 hours prior to the block which is scheduled for 1:15 in the afternoon... making it 3 AM in the morning when I have to stop eating. I generally eat dinner about 7 or 8 pm so I can take my night time meds. By the time I get in for a scheduled 1:15 appt at 2:15 pm, recouperate in recovery and am released at 3pm.. I finally get to eat at 3:30, almost 20 hours later. Real good for a diabetic... NOT !! Nurse suggested I set an alarm for 2:30 AM so I can eat something before my 8 hour deadline. Uh sure... why not... when I might have just fallen asleep a few minutes or so before and might not be able to get back to sleep again before I have to be up getting ready to leave by 12:20. And of course, I couldn't take any of my pain meds prior to leaving home as I had to drive the 2.5 hours to the clinic and was instructed not to take any of them til after the block and safely back home.

To add more fire to the flame, Randy started getting what we thought was just a cold/flu last Monday the 17th. It got progressively worse and by Friday, he was sent home before classes even started by the Vice Principal. Finally convinced to go to the clinic Sunday and it turns out he has pneumonia. So I have been having to take care of him all week (Dr put him off work til this Monday the 24th). Been trying to get some work done on the house (cleaning I have had to put off since surgery in June) but kinda hard to work around him and Nate sleeping all day.

Was reminiscing with sister on phone this morning about daughter's wedding back in 2010 and how well I behaved with my ex being there. Daughter was so afraid something would happen and we would end up causing a scene fighting with one another. But it never happened. Told sister I was so well behaved I even shared shots with him... then it dawned on me... sure wish I could have shared a different kind of shot with him. One that would have left a steel impression in him :O)

Angel ^j^

I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

Girl I feel so bad for you two!!! Wish I knew how to help. I will be coming your direction Oct. 1st. Dad is having his surgery on the 2nd. Don't know if I'm going to have any time to get together with you or not. I need to get back here once he is well enough to get my $50 per night dogs out of boarding Sad

If I'm there and do manage to make some time will be happy to help with anything you may need done Smile

Becky do not know how you drive to Ft Worth with that traffic and with your medical.

The next the surgeon is looking at doing the ulnar nerve as well as multiple joints of the dominant hand and carpal tunnel.

I have decided I will not have surgery on the ulnar nerve. Several I know have had this surgery and for none it was a success.

I see the surgeon Monday in Wichita and will have the stitches removed and another casting. My sister will drive me as I doubt if I will be feeling up to driving.

Still not getting much sleep even with the meds but hope to see an improvement with that soon.

(09-23-2012, 01:50 AM)monster1963 Wrote: Girl I feel so bad for you two!!! Wish I knew how to help. I will be coming your direction Oct. 1st. Dad is having his surgery on the 2nd. Don't know if I'm going to have any time to get together with you or not. I need to get back here once he is well enough to get my $50 per night dogs out of boarding Sad

If I'm there and do manage to make some time will be happy to help with anything you may need done Smile

Dang it Girl, I wish you would consent to coming and staying here with your furbabies... save you some money and give you a little breathing room as far as time constraints.

And.... you won't be doing anything around here if we find the time to meet up. We are going to sit, relax and enjoy getting to know one another in person. The dirty work will always be here. And it may come down to son doing a lot of it in order to meet his rent in October, unless he lands a new job soon. If nothing else, I will come and see you at the hospital and we can go to the cafeteria and have a bite to eat or something while your dad is resting. The hospital is only about a 5-10 minute drive from home.

Stay in touch and let me know what is going on wth your travel plans. Most days, except Tuesdays from 10 to 11 and every other week on Wednesdays 3-4:30 I am free to do what I want/need to do so can run at a moments notice. I think you have my newest cell number that ends in 0128. If not, I know that I have your cell # saved in my phone.

Angel ^j^

(09-23-2012, 03:52 AM)Bummer Knees Wrote: Becky do not know how you drive to Ft Worth with that traffic and with your medical.

The next the surgeon is looking at doing the ulnar nerve as well as multiple joints of the dominant hand and carpal tunnel.

I have decided I will not have surgery on the ulnar nerve. Several I know have had this surgery and for none it was a success.

I see the surgeon Monday in Wichita and will have the stitches removed and another casting. My sister will drive me as I doubt if I will be feeling up to driving.

Still not getting much sleep even with the meds but hope to see an improvement with that soon.

Bummer, the drive is a matter of having to make it if I want to get treated for most of my major health issues. There aren't any Dr's any closer than Decatur(ortho) Keller (pain management, neurosurgeon, neurologist) and Dallas/Ft Worth (pain management procedure clinic and dermatology) that will accept medicare/medicaid. And after seeing what medicare pays as primary insurance, if anything, I can see why.

As for the ulnar nerve surgery, don't rush to judge on that one. I may be having subequent problems since I had the surgery, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that my nerve was in terrible condition. According to the ortho, it was pretty much shredded (almost totally in 2 at some points) and it takes quite some time for the nerve to regenerate. That is why he gave me a 6 month to a year window before we will know if it was a success. Had I gotten the surgery a year ago when it first became a problem, it may have been a whole different story in regards to my recovery. But myself, pain management and the neurologist decided it was more important to get the RSD/back/other chronic pain issues under control first and then we would deal with the ulnar nerve issue. So I am as much to blame as the Dr's are.

I'm glad your sister is available to drive you on Monday. It's hard enough driving when your hand is injured, but to do it when the cast is on and be comfortable is a no go since you don't have the mobility you need to properly and easily turn the wheel.

As I tell Randy when he catches me sleeping at the computer..any sleep I can get is better than none. You may find once the stitches are out and a new cast that won't be irritating the stitches, that you will start to sleep a little better at night. I also found that propping my arm on a soft, fluffy pillow helped a lot as it took pressure off of the incision.

Time for me to get off of here and go get a few things done. UGH!! But it's all for a good cause. Randy's daughter that is 6 months pregnant is home from Ecuador for a visit and is in town with his 2.5 year old granddaughter. They are supposed to be coming over for a visit this afternoon and at least the house doesn't look quite as bad as it did a week ago. The dust will always be here as dry as it is...but hey, it gives lil miss Tarah a place to draw in. ~l~

Y'all have a nice afternoon.

Angel^j^

Becky part of the problem with the ulnar nerve is I had a crush injury at the elbow in 1997. Fell on the elbow while skating, over 20 breaks at the elbow and the radius head removed.

Doctor said he took the broken pieces out of the elbow and put them together on the surgical tray like one would a jig saw puzzle then put the piece back into the elbow.

I believe this injury has something to do with the entrapment of the ulnar nerve at the elbow.

I appreciate the offer Becky but my little part chow is acting up and I'm going to be really stressed if I bring the dogs on top pf everything else.

Sorry this is short, I need some sleep. Going to help a neighbor in a bit with sime stuff and I already know what its going to do to my body so sleeping now while I can lol (I think)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Year Appointment for Husband and Good News Bummer Knees 3 3,117 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM
Last Post: bronco54501
  >>>Headache from hell>>>>> jayne 3 2,961 08-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Oh hell ya their sharp jayne 15 5,535 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Last Post: jayne
Big Grin news Milo 14 4,287 02-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Last Post: ammowoman
  Falling Down The Stairs IS Never Good News! Bummer Knees 4 3,772 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Should I be worried, nn news from SSA Bummer Knees 3 2,263 01-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  funny as hell jayne 1 1,882 10-13-2012, 02:09 AM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel
  Any news from Luck or MJC? Bummer Knees 4 2,823 08-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Last Post: monster1963
  well hell who get the next chance to jayne 0 6,422 08-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Shoulder news. Good or bad I don't have a clue anymore monster1963 5 4,068 07-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Last Post: monster1963