Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cricopharyngeal Spasms
I have had these Cricopharyngeal Spasms also called Globus Hystericus since July 17, 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricopharyngeal_spasm

It is hard to deal with because sometimes I cannot swallow my saliva. It gets worse as the day goes on.

If anyone has dealt with this and knows any "pointers" to give me I would appreciate it.

One day, it is suppose to go away on its own but...... I take Ativan as needed to relax this muscle.

There is no cure and no particular reason why it happens. I have had a upper GI ran and a Barium swallowing test ran which both came back negative. My General Practitioner gave me the proper diagnosis after I had done all these test but....

Thanks for any info. and I pray no one suffers from this. It can come and go but mine has been with me over 2 months everyday.

Mine is not the same although I have spasms of the Esophagus. Had testing earlier this year due to having problems swallowing, I am now on meds for life fir thus.

(09-19-2012, 05:03 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: Mine is not the same although I have spasms of the Esophagus. Had testing earlier this year due to having problems swallowing, I am now on meds for life fir thus.

Did you have trouble swallowing when you were asleep? When I sleep, I do not have issues.

My swallowing saliva issue is sporadic. I have no trouble swallowing food.

No problems while sleeping but I do have problems swallowing food.

Mine also is a not all the time thing.

[quote='Bummer Knees' pid='146898' dateline='1348088597']
Mine is not the same although I have spasms of the Esophagus. Had testing earlier this year due to having problems swallowing, I am now on meds for life fir thus.

Can you tell me what meds you are on? I take Ativan as needed to relax this muscle and it does not work 100%.

I have trouble sometimes swallowing food at the end of the day. My spasm makes me really tired in the swallowing mechanism due to spasms.

Many who have my issue never know the true diagnosis because most Doctors are shallow on this diagnosis.
My gastroenterology Doctor did not find it and the Doctor performing the Barium swallowing test did not find it.

The worse thing to make this flare up is stress. It is hard not to stress when it is happening but I am doing better.

pantoprazole this is an acid reflux meds but without the meds the Esophagus starts ti spasms then the problems swallowing start

Hopefully it will go away on it's own, watch what you eat, watch the temperatures of what you eat, no real hot or cold items. Cold usually makes it worse. Warm liquids are the way to go but find out what your triggers are.

My mom suffered from Cricopharyngeal spasms the last year of her life. She had to give up coffee and Pepsi, two things she loved. She also learned that if she just ate little bits all day long the spasms were reasonably easy to manage.

There is a surgery for the severe cases Cricopharyngeal Myotomy, not something to just jump into.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/836966-overview

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cramps and spasms bronco54501 12 6,913 09-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  Help with muscle spasms Bummer Knees 3 2,773 02-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Last Post: dusty boy